Sirius xm radio | FerrariChat

Sirius xm radio

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Tides, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Does the 2010 Cali come with Sirius radio installed - called them up and they don't recognize the VIN - anyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Mine has Sirius, but I can't get it to work. I just bought the car. Called Sirius to have them activate the radio. They could not find the car by VIN either. Using the radio ID, they sent their activation signal many times, but it never worked. (The Sirius technical support people said to take the car to the dealer for radio repair.) I also gave Sirius the Traffic ID. That activation worked, and the little car symbols in the upper right of the screen now show green. But the traffic info does not appear to show up on the map, and so seems completely useless.

So, in summary, I think there is a Sirius radio in the car. And, AFAICT, it doesn't work at all.

Bandit23 likes this.
  3. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    thanks for that little car symbols explanation, I had been wondering what they were for a while now :).
    good tip
    thanks

4. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Are your little cars yellow or green? If green, do you have a Sirius traffic subscription? If so, does traffic show up on your map?

K

5. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    my little cars are yellow/amber I will follow up today to see if I have a Sirius traffic subscription and advise,

6. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    So, as a follow up and perhaps conclusion to my version of this story... I took the car into the dealer to diagnose the SXM radio not working. The Ferrari technician found that the IDs were swapped, and had them switched to the correct parts of the radio. But after lots of trying, could not make the SXM radio work in any way. The Sirius Customer Support people kept saying, "Put the radio on channel 184..." but there is not way to direct enter the channel, nor to channel up/down to any other channel. The Sirius Customer Support person told the Ferrari technician to take the car to an authorized factory dealer, which was certainly entertaining, given that he was in fact the Ferrari certified factory dealer repair guy. The options to resolve at that point were to remove the radio and have the dealer send it to some Ferrari approved repair place in MI, wait for them to fix it and send it back, and then re-install the radio. The anticipated cost was $800 for the repair work, and whatever hours there were to get it out/back in.

Or, as it turns out, there is a Ferrari-approved aftermarket radio, the Clarion NX605, which has all the Ferrari secret sauce built in, fits exactly, and has the correct wiring harness to make it all work. With install kit, the new radio is about $2300. Lots more money than the repair, but the maps and radio are all updated, and the car is not down for 2 weeks.

Which way one goes probably depends on their interest in a full-featured radio, GPS navigation, etc. Since loads of people here seem to say things like, "There's a radio in the car?" and " Why would anyone turn on the radio while driving?" perhaps this is a non-issue. But I thought I would pass on what I learned in this process.

K

7. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    that's great CaliforniaK,

just out of curiosity does this Clarion NX605 offer the all important BT Audio as well?
    Currently I am using a dongle to enable BT Audio via my phone, would consider this upgrade if it came with the BT feature?

thanks,

8. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Well, I don't have it installed yet, so I am not sure. And, I would certainly expect that it does.

That said, my existing factory radio works great with my BT on my phone, without dongles on either side. So, I am not sure it solves your problem.

K