SL55 AMG | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SL55 AMG

Discussion in 'Other German' started by pearsonhaus, Feb 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    At some point hey become cheap enough that people will drive them until something expensive breaks then park them in the hedgerow.

2. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    That could be true...

3. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    parts will be cheap but all the same parts will be broken.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #54 photonut, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    unfortunately i had a bit of experience with an '04 sl55.
    the abc (active body control) suspension, as others have noted in this post, is a MAJOR problem, especially on the pre '07 models.
    in '07 mb redesigned the abc (called it abc II) and this may have addressed the headaches so many of us experienced.
    the hydraulic suspension system has "check valves" which are designed to prevent the vehicle from dropping when the engine is turned off.
    the valves are a metal on metal design and if metal particles get into the closed system (as they will eventually, due to the valve design) the valves fail to seat properly and the car will drop down, sometimes an inch or two overnight.
    mb initially advised the dealers to perform a "rodeo test" on effected vehicles.
    the "rodeo" cycles the system to flush & bleed the system after opening the hydraulics - makes the car lift up & down on each corner & pumps the fluid around the system.
    check out this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJvOGkmv_I&feature=related[/ame]

while the rodeo "test" might pump out air bubbles in the hydraulic system, it never helped my vehicle.
    an inline particle filter on the hydraulic system was another attempt at preventing metal particles from contaminating the fluid.

my sl55 was eventually replaced by mb under the michigan lemon law.
    i now have an '09 sl63.
    the sl63 is stored in the winter and after 4 months there is no loss of vehicle height.
    i think mb finally learned their abc's!
    by the way, the sl63 is a quantum leap better than the sl55.
    and i predict they will depreciate less (wishful thinking, i know!)

read the following posts from various mb forums to learn about the abc issue (the last post is mine).
    BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1517488-abc-suspension-issues-non-issues.html
    http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/232160-abc-suspension.html
    http://owners.mercedes-benz-usa.com/forum/topics/2003-sl-500-problems?page=1&commentId=2944723%3AComment%3A22275&x=1#2944723Comment22275
    http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/231362-sl55-abc-suspension-problem.html

5. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks Joel for the vid and links! It is such a great looking car. It looks like 2007 or newer would be the way to go if at all...

6. roanokejim

roanokejim Rookie

Apr 25, 2011
    Hi pearsonhaus. I agree with you. Those videos are pretty informative. I really like to watch it. I hope that I can also have that great car. :D

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    can't you pull out the active shocks/struts and replace them with some type of good aftermarket, fixed system? I've always loved the SL55 and also considered one for a DD. Just never got around to really looking into it.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My Father-in-law just picked up a 2003 SL55. He read up on all of the issues, especially with the suspension so he knows what he's getting into. Hopefully he doesn't experience any catastrophic repair bills.

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #59 photonut, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
    dave: congratulations to your father-in-law.
    please give us feedback.
    i hope he has no issues with the vehicle.
    my sl63 is now 2 years old.
    i just brought it out of winter storage (for the second time).
    there was virtually no loss of vehicle height over the winter.
    i think mb has finally perfected the abc suspension suspension on their later vehicles!

10. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Perhaps 2007 or newer is the safest way to go....

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm reading through this thread now and didn't realize that the amg 55 and 63 cars had air suspension? I thought that was only on the non amg cars?

12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I'm fairly certain, as with my 2009 SL65, that all AMG cars had Active Body Control (ABC) which was hydraulic and NOT air suspension.

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    correct: ABC is hydraulic, not pneumatic
    follow-up on my old sl63: the transmission began to show hiccups after around 5-6K miles.
    when moving from a dead stop, a noticeable jerk would occur consistently.
    the dealer said this was normal for the vehicle.
    in the MB forums, i found this to be a common problem with this vehicle.
    2 years later, MB had a fix, but if the warranty had elapsed, they would not pay for the updated clutch.
    fortunately i had a MB extended warranty which covered the cost.

Texas Forever likes this.