Slightly O/T - Radar detector reccos? | FerrariChat

Slightly O/T - Radar detector reccos?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Cuddy K, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Not that I intend to speed, mind you ;) But it seems driving a red ferrari past a cop causes his gun to read 20MPH higher. Any suggestions on moveable (windshield mount) units? i really don't want to permanently wire one in. Thanks!

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    For traditional K and Ka bands, the best on the market is the Uniden R3, it includes GPS and a red light camera database. Does a decent job filtering blind spot monitoring systems, except for Acura/Honda systems.

The best for filtering blind spot monitoring systems, including the Acura/Honda systems, is the Radenso Pro M, which also has GPS and red light camera database, and the range for K and Ka is nearly as good as the Uniden.

Lots of people will still vote for Valentine One, but those haven't been performance leaders for many years.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    How common is radar now a days? I have been told laser traps (lidar) are more common now, but I have never owned/used any sort of detector so don't really know.

4. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    I’m the guy everyone hates. I’m the guy holding the laser gun. Radar is still used but most of the traffic units have laser. All the bikes cops will have laser (speaking in regards to LA County here).

For quite a while I have been thinking about buying one. When I do I will probably go with the V1. I work in Malibu and I come across all the detectors and jammers.

In my experience I have come across hundreds (several hundred most likely) of detectors. V1s equipped cars always seem to have the quickest reactions after being hit. Of course some drivers are paying more attention than others but like i said, people with V1s seem to be the first one to hit the brakes.

I think Waze is more effective than laser detectors but nothing wrong with both ( why not utilize twice the countermeasures). One thing I often hear which couldn’t me more wrong is, “ why have a detector when the cops have instant on laser?” The answer is because if we are looking for 20 over and we shoot you at 18 over hopefully you will slow down or at least not speed up alowing you to continue on your way without being stopped.

Actually my laser registers 20 under the actual speed for any Ferrari’s, air cooled 911s, and Shelby Mustangs. Just the opposite is true however of any vehicle displaying philadelphia eagles (I refuse to even capitalize the P or the E) merchandise on their vehicle.

In all reality the greatest invention for bike cops was the Toyota Prius (completely clueless and if not speeding 15 under in the fast lane).

The pro laser 3 we use can hit up to 6k feet under OPTIMAL conditions. There is a Pro Laser 4 out there but a lot of guys (myself included) think it’s slow and turned it in. Once again I will most likely purchase the V1. My main concern is how quick a unit can respond to being hit.

IMHO common sense, Waze and a good detector are the 3 best tools.

rmgaiss, GordonC, ridege55 and 5 others like this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A V1 is the best basic coverage you can get. Once you use those arrows, you will never want to live without them.

The range is fine. Plenty of warning.

Saabguy likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The V1 has proven itself on 3 cross-country trips in my 328. Other cars we own/have owned had different brand detectors and their ability was limited in comparison. I suppose there MAY be detectors that can match it or even exceed it on paper or in some sort of controlled test but out on the road, I'll trust what has been proven to work! ;)

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    V1 is best but you need LASER JAMMER !!! if your going to have any chance of beating it those guns

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Do laser "jammers" actually work?

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    my friend has laser jammer 08 Twin Turbo 997 or 996 it works once signal jammed you have some time slow before the next 2 or so incoming depends on how fast you going

11. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Yes they work, the problem is that if that some (very few) cops will be able to tell that the jammer is working (when I say some I am seriously talking about 1 percent if not a quarter percent). The laser will emit some sort of (can't even begin to describe it) signal that a jammer is being activated. This is a scenario that you should not really give much concern too as the chances of being busted with one are highly remote.

Remember that I work in Malibu so there are obviously some high dollar cars out there and traffic is all I do. Most cops I know could really not give a s**t about it anyways (yes, I know everyone has a bad experience or two, myself included). Also I work for LA County so the majority of us will maybe write maybe 5 tickets a month. When I worked down in the ghetto I think I wrote two traffic tickets in 4 years (a whole lot of more important stuff to do than write tickets down there).

About a third of the jammers I come across are from recently purchased used cars where the owners claim they had no idea it was even their or what it is. Most of them are telling the truth.

beng likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I read or saw somewhere the best one is one that comes in a kit. Something about the legality of selling it intact. I seem to remember something someone assembled did a pretty good job vs others.

I wish I could remember what it was