Slot car track. Pic's and idea's please. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Slot car track. Pic's and idea's please.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by James-NZ, Oct 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Correct.

You could go the kitbashing route. The trick is to find a car with ideally identical wheelbase, the rest is easy.

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Doesn't Revell/Monogram also make a 250GTO (in 1/32nd scale; not digital though)?

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I remember one of that era, but I thought it was Strombecker?

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Anyone tried? If done with a model railroader's skill for realism, could be quite a sight!

KevFla

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods

Good lord but it would have to be big - in 1/87 scale (HO - the smallest practical slot car scale) a mile is 60 feet long!

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Well...that 'plains everything! Thanks.

KevFla

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the links guy's, looks like ill be eBay shopping very soon :)

The next part of my track should arrive tomorrow, as soon as it is here I am going to set up a new track and start the planning of the table.

Any one else got some slot car related photos to share?

8. ajide

ajide Karting

Sep 1, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You may also want to get some Slot track layout software. I found it great for planning my layout. I use Artin track, but the package I use supports many brands.

I use Tracker 2000, but it is no longer made. Perhaps if someone where to PM me with an alternate email, I might be able to forward an evaluation copy of this no longer available software.

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Strombecker and Revell BOTH made GTOs. I am talking about recently a "new" company called Revell/Monogram making a GTO....but it isn't digital....should be available on e-bay...

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The biggest slot car tack ever (1/32nd and 1/24th) was an 8 lane one in a shop on the east coast, some 40 years ago, that was over 500 feet long! The MESAC track (mentioned above) longest version (the configuration could be changed) was just under 200 feet...

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Kewl.

I played once on a pro track at a shop. 8 lanes and all. Fun, but not what I'd like in my basement.

As I said before, length matters (grin): More track length equals more fun. But there is a limit to it all: Aside from the space available think how a deslotted car gets back onto the track. Will you have enough people playing or on standby to get to the car? To extend my arms I bought a couple of plastic grab arms (like robot arms, or superlong pliers). Also make sure your players each have a dedicated spot and that they don't get into each other's way and sight. Every player has to be able to see all of the track from his position.

BTW: Try to design to go both directions. Reversing the power section will enable you to go the other direction. Alternatively Carrera cars have switches underneath that reverse the engine. That will cause you to rethink the turns and run off areas for powerslides.

12. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    With Scalextric digital the cars run whichever way they are facing, so head-on crashes are possible! The lane changing sections only work one way though.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #38 tifosi12, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was trying to find some pics from my track under construction, but didn't. Which is odd, because I did take a bunch. I built the track around the time my hard disk crashed, so I guess that's where they went...

Anyhow here a pic from the pro track I mentioned. Very different experience btw.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte

oh wow. do you have any more of this track? looks quite impressive.

15. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think this picture demonstrates very well the advantages of digital. It doesn't look like a race track, it looks like a multi-lane highway. With digital you can have multiple people racing, but on just a 2-lane track that looks more like a real race track.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

There are even folks who have some of these monstrosities in their basements. Not my cup of tea.

17. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I can understand the appeal of these tracks pre-digital. I had a few laps of the circuit at Wolverhampton http://uk.geocities.com/bscrauk/wolverhampton.htm a few years ago and was mightily impressed, but this was in the days before digital. From what I have seen not many clubs have digital tracks. I suppose with the non-digital tracks you are only responsible for your own race and it is unlikely that someone will knock you off so it could be seen as fairer however I think that keeping the other guy from hitting you or finding your way past a slower car is part of the challenge and the fun.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

While I was subscribed to the slot car racing magazine I read a lot of the comments and letters to the editor: It seemed that old habits die hard and digital was seen as a gimmick. I think it is where the future of this hobby lies.

Part of it is that going digital normally means you can throw your entire investment out the window. Not an easy step for old fans. Your cars become the backdrop to the new digital generation on the track.

19. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Took my course down a few years ago because I needed to use my basement as, well, a basement. Have no photos, but it was over a mile (in scale) long. The main straight was around 38 feet. To echo what others have referenced, good electrical contact, and the ability to get to errant vehicles should be a priority. I used a lot of banked turns, and tried to keep the twisties closer to where the drivers were. Unless you have the luxury of marshals, expect a lot of mad dashes.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1