SLOW DOWN dash light F430 | FerrariChat

SLOW DOWN dash light F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by darster, Mar 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darster

darster Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Darster
    Hey guys.

so in traffic the other day, a dash light can on ( SLOW DOWN) the car was in second gear, and it would not shift up or down. i pulled over and turned the car off, started it up again and it was fine. a few miles later i was at a red light in NEUTRAL and light came on again, but this time i was stopped. the car wouldnt shift into gear, and I has stopped all traffic and had to turn on my flashers, pretty embarrassing. I tryed re starting the car but the light was still on. i waited about 5 min and then started it again, this time it went off. i dont have a clue what this could be, but i dont want it happening again, i looked at the manual and the yellow SLOW DOWN light could indicate a temorary malfunction of the electronic differential.

anyone ever experience this before, or have an idea of what it can be?

2. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    Catalytic overheat; faulty sensor reading.

Mike

3. darster

darster Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Darster
    #3 darster, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Car has novitec exhaust and cats have been removed....

4. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Overheated clutch.

Get a reading from the ECU via SD3, it will show up. The F1 in traffic conditions can overheat, the info is kept in the ECU for the lifetime of the car.

I had a reading from my Scuderia ECU this week, and the shop was surprised that despite my clutch life, I haven't overheated it. It's just a matter of understanding how the system works and use the car accordingly.

Actually, with catalytic bypass pipes the temperature sensor for the catalytic converter reads lower temperatures, and you should not have an overheated cat error.

question: do you have a check engine light? if not how did you bypass the check engine light running test pipes?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My 360 did a similar thing this morning. Slow Down came on and the car was hardly idling and wouldn't even rev, like when running on 1 bank. Then a couple of seconds later the light cleared and all was good. I didn't even turn the car off.

First time in 4 years of ownership that I have seen that light. Funny thing is that it was raining, I was only a couple of miles from the house, and I had just filled up with gas so nothing should have been overheated.

Oh well, it goes to the shop tomorrow for belts and all so I will have it checked out. I will update after I hear what happened and what codes are stored.

6. darster

darster Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Darster
    i dont have a check engine light, and the ecu check showed that the car was miss shifted/ put into wrong grear. which i cant understand because its a F1... according to the manual the cats error is a red light and the yellow is the f1. im getting a yellow one....
    im not too familier with the f430s electronic system but the mechanic is telling me i might need a new clutch.. could that be the case?

7. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    From the ECU the F430 stores a clutch usage %. It is a number between 0% (new clutch) and 100% (worn out clutch).

When the number is getting close to 100%, the car will shift to neutral sometimes and not get in gear. I was told this by a Ferrari technician a few days ago.

The clutch overheated warning is to prevent excessive wear on a too hot clutch disc. Traffic especially uphill can overheat the clutch. It happens as well to manual transmission cars in such conditions, but it is more intense on the F1 system.

When they check your ECU, they can read if the clutch overheated or not.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    On 360s (as in 355s) it is common to have the cat temp ECUs fail, which can cause Slow Down lights. Evidently, they don't always throw codes. On 360s there is one for each bank. ~$329 each at Ricambi America. I'm told by some 355 owners that these parts are prone to failure.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly what Brian told me today. He is going to check it out while he does a long laundry list of other things.

10. darster

darster Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Darster
    #10 darster, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    So heres the thing, mechanic says the clutch is at 49% left (according to the computer) but he says after a visual inspection of it, im might be worse, he said he actually didnt know exactly the condition of it. does anyone understand how the computer reads the clutch, does it actually measure the clutch or is it like a service light that you reset and its just estimates the wear on it?