Slow Down Light? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Slow Down Light?

Discussion in '360/430' started by AlphaBoy, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Its the one in the compartment. Mine was a pain to turn as well.. to turn it off turn it clockwise I think.. may be a pain. I hope it's just a misreading sensor.. sounds like an abreeart sensor given smooth running.. hope it works out well....

2. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    It is tough to turn - yes.

Turn it to the OFF indicator

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, if the cat really is overheating (as compared to a false alarm - slow down light flashes but temps in cats are normal), then you need to look elsewhere, as vrsurgeon suggests. The Slow Down light is to warn you that the cats are overheating, so that they don't get destroyed. But if you get the light and the cats are at normal temps, that indicates something faulty in the sensing system. Really only a limited number of choices, two, I think (x2, 1 set for each side), either the cat ECU or the thermocouple. Wiser people on this board suggested I change both at the same time even though only one side was faulty. Guess they were right, because now I suspect the other one is faulty.

4. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    It is tough to turn. I use two hands to grip the wheel and turn it clockwise (the direction of the arrow) to turn off the battery. You will hear a click when you turn it. (about a quarter of a turn.

5. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Same here! I hope the ECU "Refreshing" fix it..

Thanks!
    I'm on it.

6. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    OK, the rounded button fix didn't work.. I waited for 15 min then the SDL shows up; I opened the engine compartment to check for any glowing/hot stuff - NONE - I touched the both of the pipes connected to the muffler itself - NORMAL - then the muffler itself - NORMAL - then tried to reach the catalyst but I couldn't.

7. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Do you have an ODB2 reader to see if there are any codes?

8. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The slow down warning can also be triggered by oil temperature gauge, a faulty oil temp sender can cause the oil temp to rise quickly to red which in turn will trigger slow down warning light, but light will go off as the oil temp drops down again.

9. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    I wish but sorry I don't.

Oil temp. is normal.. Car itself drives/run/act normal!
    I called my friend (pervious owner) and told him about the problem; he said "come on!! Again? We just changed the ECU yesterday!" then he said "Look, I have been driving the car with the SDL flashing for almost 4 months now and everything was fine.. Try to change the other ECU"

It's a good idea IMO but the problem is the price lol these Ferrari parts are so expensive! I had a bad o2 sensor on my C6 Vette last month (o2 sensor comes attached with something similar to the Ferrari ECU) I bought it from the dealer for less than 100 bucks, but Ferrari.. WOW! 500 bucks for the ECU alone!!

I think I finally understood the saying "If you wanna play, you gotta pay!" :D I'll try to save some money and change the other one.. I'll update you ASAP.

10. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    I think I'm going crazy, took it for a drive before 6 hours; I started the car and of course the light was flashing! Continued my trip then the light went off? I thought it'd come back so I parked the car for almost 4 hours to do some shopping, anyways.. Started the car - no SDL thought because the car and the weather is cold then drove back home for like 17-21 KM with no light at all?! I even used some heavy right foot acceleration!
    Anyone had similar situation? If the light came on I'm taking it back to the "stealer" to get it fixed by Sunday..
    Thanks and forgive my ignorance.

11. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    It's not ignorance and you are not crazy, the SDL is just about the most confusing and annoying problem to have. My light appears when I know there is no overheating, so it is a sensor issue. And truthfully I'd even live with the dopey light coming on for 5-10 seconds during the first mile of driving, but it is that one time where I had to limp home that freaked me out.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    A malfunctioning cat temp sensor/ECU likely plays havoc with your engine management system, possibly causing some power loss even if not putting you into limp mode. Best to get it sorted out as soon as you can. Thinking it needs to "save" your cats from overheating, who knows what changes it causes to the engine's running parameters.

As for the SDL going away magically, I wonder if you have a loose connection at the ECU or sensor that's causing on-again, off-again behavior.

13. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Yeah I agree, to be honest I'm in the "I hate my car" level rightnow because of this sensor :(

I had the power loss issue last week before I change one of those ECUs. Now, there is no power issue or anything just SDL.
    That's it, I'm taking it to the dealer today forget about Sunday!
    Thx!

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    AlphaBoy, did you ever get your problem sorted? What did it turn out to be?

Also, does anyone have any guidance on where these ECUs are located and how to change them? Panel under right (passenger) side of engine compartment?

15. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Each euc is located on one side of the car behind the lateral panels of the engine bay. To remove it you need to turn the master switch off. Each euc has two plugs that have a lock that needs to be pull out in order to lift the aluminum lock. After that remove four 8mm bolts that holt it to the bracket.

16. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Hi,
    I did. I changed both ECU's since they were the main cause, problem gone forever :D

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks Ingpr and AlphaBoy. I took a peek through the holes in the covers and found the ECUs. The panels are held by a handful of hex socket screws. Besides avoiding dropping the screws into the engine bay, any tips on removing the panels on a spider?

18. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    No problemo! =P

19. Ferrari Spider

Ferrari Spider Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    North America
    Same problem here, new owner, 01 360 spider, from the discussion its either the sensor or the cats are hot. my dilemma is different, i have the SDL but i dont have cats in the car as i replaced them with staright pipes and took out the cats. Dealer told me its normal for the light because its just giving a description as to why the CEL is on and the cats arent there, ALL is a result of playing around with exhaust and nothing else. True?

20. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't think an exhaust without cats could possibly get hot enough to trigger a genuine SD light so you are most likely to have a faulty cat ECU or a faulty thermocouple. Search for SDECU in the Tech Q&A section for details of how to diagnose which component is faulty.