slow down light | FerrariChat

slow down light

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by [email protected], Nov 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    on my 98 maranello the slow down light goes on when I start the car. it blinks on and off every 3-4 seconds. this is from a cold start, the engine in neutral and at idle.
    i have tried to review the other posts here but cant find anything helpful. there seem to be a large number of ecu's on the car. i know the one for my air bag doesn't work, but is this the same one for the slow down light? is there a part # or reference where i can find it?
    is there any where in so. fl. that has a leonardo for diagnosis?
    if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate t

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Different ECUs for those failures. You can download a 550 workshop manual for free from ferraridatabase.com and it should help on the ECUs. 550 owners will chime in soon on how to diagnose by swapping ECUs side to side to see if the problem migrates.

3. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    thanks for the reponse. i have the manuals, but they are not indexed so i can't search them and i have no idea where in the massive files to look.
    also, i have one light that is going on and off. is that coming from 2 ecu's? or one? also, how would swapping them help with the one light?

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Whoops, you are correct. I was thinking there was a slow down light for each bank. Must be another model. There is a WSM index on the left side of the document. If yours does not have it, suggest downloading one that does.

5. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I had the exact same problem a few days ago. Basically there is a sensor that monitors the temperatures for each cat that will throw the slow down sensor if either side detects a cat temp in excess of I think 1200 degrees F. If you drive the car it will cripple one bank and you will experience a severe loss of power. Replacing the component (approx. $380 for the part) should fix the problem.

6. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Have a look at the Workshop Manual, Volume 1, C38.
    The slow down light is normally caused by a faulty thermocouple (13 in the diagram) or its control unit (7).
    Check units 7 to make sure the connectors are properly attached, and make sure they haven't cracked open due to heat in the engine compartment.

Stefano

7. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    My experience with cold-start slow-down warnings has been bad thermo-couples. Does the light go off after you begin to drive and everything heats up good? If so, once again... replacing the thermo-couples resolved this symptom "for me".

It seems that the thermo-couples also need to see a certain amount of flow. If they are old, or fouled... causing them to not get a good read when exhaust flow is slower, they throw an error, but you never lose one bank or the other. Driving, like on the highway, eventually heats them up and gives them more flow at which point they can actually measure temps, making the indicator go out.

This is no guarantee, but this was the fix for my cold start errors that would go away once I started driving.

8. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Years ago mine came on, I just reset it and never seen it back. I just done it with basic OBD II. It won't hurt to try.
    Sark

9. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Same problem. Had to replace both ECUs and thermocouplers. No problems after that. If I could have diagnosed the problem, I would have done the work myself as it's quite straightforward. Frank

10. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    thanks for the feedback. the manual reference numbers really helped me locate the units.
    given previous posts and your feedback here's my approach:
    1. swap/replace bosch relays at fuse panel
    2. try the obdII (ordered one online, it will be here tomorrow).
    3. order and replace the thermocouplers (part #174674).
    4. order and replace the ecu/electronic control station (part #186505).
    i think this order progresses from cheap to expensive.
    IF ANYONE KNOWS THE LOCATION FOR HOOKING UP THE OBDII, PLEASE LETME KNOW??
    it may be a while, but i'll get back with an update.

11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    If I remember correctly, I think someone on FerrariChat said there was a company (perhaps in England?) that rebuilds the ECUs at a greatly discounted price from list. Sorry I can't recall more. Frank

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #12 308 GTB, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Qavion likes this.
  13. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    thanks for the pic. i never would have found it!

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You're welcome.

Three years ago, I got an intermittent SLOW DOWN light which soon became continuous. It was a bad thermocouple for the right bank.

15. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Eurospares UK has the CAT ECUs for a lower price than US sources

16. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I had both CEL and Slow Down lights on my '95 456GT.

Installation of the SRI gold pin connector kit banished them, hopefully forever.

17. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    same problem ( référence Ferrari 179278 )

18. Taunom@msn.com

Aug 23, 2011
    followed the plan outlined earlier:
    all fuses and relays were good.
    ran and cleared diagnostics with my $20. obd2 tool.
    CLEARING WORKED!
    WARMED CAR UP AND TOOK IT FOR A RIDE - UP TO 5500RPM - WTH NO RECURRENCE.
    hope this does the trick. thanks for all the help.

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's great to hear. The error code will ultimately clear. You might get repeated SLOW DOWN lights until you cycle the car on and off several times and drive 50 miles or so.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just got this message yesterday. I drove back to the parking place and today the message appears right after start up (so an actual overheating is very unlikely). I will try to have a fix next week, asking both the indy that sold me the car and Ferrari.
    The thermocouplers are ref 174674 and the ECU number I found on eurospares is 179278; thermocouplers are cheaper than ECUs.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Inexpensive aftermarket ECUs and "universal" thermocouples are now available at Technistrada...

https://technistrada.com/

Be sure to pick the longer thermocouples for the 550/575

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of us end up changing out the thermocouples as they get marginal. I did and unluckily before Technistrada had these available.

23. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    The out-of-state shop that did the PPI and a bunch of work on the 550 I just purchased, replaced the left-side ECU and everything was good. Now that I have the car, I'm seeing the flashing Slow Down light (happens on cold start, no misfire, car runs great) so they recommend I change out the right one. Would it be a problem to mix what I'll call a "stock" version (left-side) with the "improved" version from Technistrada? Thanks.

rhern213 likes this.
  24. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    No difference they can be mixed, the technistrada ones are better quality, but the electronics have the exact same function as OEM.

25. RicB

RicB Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Booth
    So I got my Technistrada ECU and installed it. Should the Slow Down light just stop flashing or is there something that needs to be done to clear it? Thanks.