SLR Ownership | FerrariChat

SLR Ownership

Discussion in 'Other German' started by 6Speed 430, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Hello All,

I’ve been toying with the ideas of SLR ownership, but have been hearing insane stories of maintenance. Now I currently own a CGT, but from the things I hear the SLR blows even that out of water in terms of cost of ownership.

I’ve heard oil changes are $5,000 and a
    V Belt Service needs to be done every 4 years at a cost of $15k. I wanted to know if any owners around could elaborate on the regular running costs, and general ownership insight. I’ve attached the below YouTube video, which makes the oil change seem pretty DIY (time consuming but simple). Is there more to it?

2. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    There was a thread on it if you can find it , i had chimed in . I own a 722 since new , i would ask you if you have a solid reliable shop you can use for service because if you don't , MB dealership will rape you . SLR parts and service at the dealerships are unreasonable , they figure if you can afford the car , you can afford the service . Quick example, 722 rotors , in Canada , are $16k CDN a rotor at dealer , same rotor was used on 2009 ZR1 ,2k at chevy dealer and you get discount .

3. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    appreciate the insight, I searched for an SLR ownership thread but unfortunately couldn't find it. I have a good third party shop I work with, would you be able to share approx what the costs of simple oil changes are and cost of the v belt service (do they have to be replaced every 4 years)?

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Interesting about the rotors, so the Chevy dealer was able to replace them?
    I know the hood is supposed to be 75k.
    Any other big ticket item? How does the car feel to drive? What would U compare it to and describe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    No , MB replaced them under warranty , I screamed enough lol . The SLR sounds fantastic , especially when the supercharger kicks in . Super fast , brakes take a while to get used to , they grip very well but lack some feel , handling is very nervous , turns in well but is not planted and constantly needs steering input throughout a corner , does not go where it is supposed to go without making you work for it . Big ticket , shocks 4K a piece , alternator 3k , nothing else yet

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Thanks a lot!
    I am intrigued by them. They have held values decently it seems. The sound I heard inside the cabin is great outside not so much.
    Would you say it compares favorably with a say 599?
    Is it an event to drive?

9. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The SLR sounds like a spitfire from the outside , not everybody’s taste . It I a wonderful car to drive , super uncomfortable as the seats have very little cushioning and the suspension is super stiff , you feel every bump everywhere . The 599 has a softer suspension , the transmission is way better than the SLR’s and it like the way it sounds . The brakes of the SLR are better and I like the looks of the SLR , taste is subjective and I am obviously biased

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Yeah I was about to ask how do the shift feel? SLR seems like a SL on steroids but from what I have reviewed it’s way more raw! Thanks for all ur answers!
    The SLR aged very well and maintained value very well. Only thing I don’t love is the backend personally