smoke from engine comnpartment | FerrariChat

smoke from engine comnpartment

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stevepaa, Dec 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    So I am driving to get some gas and about 3 miles from home when I come to a stop, I see smoke/vapor coming out from front left side of car. It disappears as I make my way off the street to parking lot. I lift hood and see nothing unusual.
    This happened about 6 months ago and I noticed some leakage around coolant reservoir cap and I replaced it. No indication of coolant leak anywhere that I can see with flashlight in a dark garage.

The power steering tank is a little wet on top so I will replace O-ring. But level inside is good.

So after the vapor disappeared I continued onto gas station. Then the TPS systems says it is TEMP.OFF and then low gas indication comes on and the two bars on the fuel gage disappear. Another 100 yards and everything is back to normal with two bars showing. I put in 22 gallons and drive home with no issues.

Any ideas?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Steve, is this on a 575M? Forgive me if I don't remember what you drive, and it's not shown in your profile.

First guess on the smoke/vapor would be one of the coolant lines leaking under the intake manifold (hopefully not the big one). But you should've noticed that sweet odor of coolant when you raised the hood.

For the spooky fuel gauge and TPS issues, I wonder if you've got some dodgy connections in your main fuseboard as previous generations of cars have had? I don't recall many (if any) 575M owners complaining about these problems, but it's still a Ferrari, and Ferrari = crap electrics.

3. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    yes 2002 575
    And I could not smell anything. I will check fluid level when cold.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You said it was the left side. The power steering hoses are all over there and the low pressure hoses are famous for leaking and making a mess over there and getting on the exhaust isn't unusual.

Since they are low pressure and have no fittings I replace them with Aeroquip Push Lock hose. It is better quality and far cheaper.

5. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Coolant level was 6 mm lower than when I filled a year ago. If this happens again, I will check level again when cold.
    I will check power steering hoses. Thanks

6. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Brian
    I have a very tiny leak from low pressure hose at the reservoir. What is the hose that you use? I went to Aeroquip but the website was not very user friendly.
    thanks

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think this is what you want but measure the OD of the push on connection at the reservoir. This hose is dash 10 = 5/8 ID which is 15.875 mm.
    I'd buy from Summit Racing insead of Amazon because Amazon doesn't even list the ID.OD so I don't trust what I suspect is a third party seller

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fcn1020/

Rifledriver likes this.
  8. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Dave
    Thanks, I think I will take thew old hose off to get correct length
    Those air filter boxes are a pain to R&R.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Steve, you will find that one of the factory lengths is too long by about a foot as I recall.

After you get the airbox off the rest is a piece of cake.

10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I’ve seen this when any kind of armor-all or engine dressing is applied to the engine compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If you replace the P/S low pressure return hoses with bulk aftermarket hose, you must swap over the flow restrictors from the old hoses to the new hoses. There are two hoses, one return from the P/S to the cooler loop and one from the cooler loop to the fluid reservoir.

You will find a hose clamp in the middle of both the these hoses, this is where the restrictors are located inside the hoses. Remove the clamps and cut the hoses right next to where the clamps were and you will find the restrictors inside. I install the restrictors in the same location as the originals with oetiker clamps.

Use good quality hose and they will never leak again. A local hydraulic hose repair shop should have the hose you need in bulk, it won't be metric, but the SAE stuff is close enough to go onto the fittings.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

12. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thanks Brian

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the 575 is like the 550, the instrument panel ECU (Digitek on 550) provides power to the fuel level sensor and it processes the signals from the sensor for the digital bar display (and for the analog display on the 550). Not sure how the TPS module communicates with the instruments, but I'd say the TPS ECU would have its own power source. Finding a link between these two may be difficult without wiring diagrams.

14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    could you give me the part #s or sizes ..could not find them on the sight, i'm doing my yearly fluid change and would like to use these
    Thanks ,
    Bill

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. I measure the size of the ones I take out. Most are 3/4 and 5/8.

16. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    OK thanks very much I’ll have my technician get that brand