SN 80962 Ferrari 328 Conciso show car | FerrariChat

SN 80962 Ferrari 328 Conciso show car

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnhoughtaling, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Figured you guys might like to see a thread on the one off SN 80962 Ferrari 328 Conciso Geneva/ Frankfurt Auto show car

Some photos of it in my garage in New Orleans. If there is interest I can post some driving impressions and some archival, never before published materials of its design and construction.

As many of you may know this one off concept car was designed by Michalak based on a 1989 Ferrari 328. It won second place at the Frankfurt Auto Show and made the rounds of most of the car magazines in 1993.
    Ferrari was not convinced to put it into production as planned due to it being outrageously impractical. An aluminum body without doors or windshield made the car 800 pounds lighter than the 328 upon which is was based.

The driving experience is incredible

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2589761 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4re308, crinoid, mcimino and 2 others like this.
  2. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Does this car is street legal in Louisiana ? I saw Conciso in September 2015 at Spa-Francorchamps circuit and I was amazed that car was registered ( May this registration was a fake )

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have never heard of that car before

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You have the coolest garage EVER :D

4re308 and johnhoughtaling like this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is remarkable that this is a Ferrari-sanctioned design. It's not like them to display 'concept cars' for public reaction. I wonder what elements they were looking to gauge reaction. It seems odd too that it was build in 1989 yet was not displayed until 1993.

Very cool that you own it! Thank you for sharing. Personally, I would love it if you posted more information on it. It must be a bit like driving a 1950s racer; no windshield, no power etc. At least synchromesh gears!

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Really? You see me surprised, because it has been mentioned many times in publications, period or recent, with the original chassis number, etc...I seem to recall that it has been for sale at regular intervals through auctions, etc...
    Anyway, it wouldn't be road legal here in France (windshield to low, no roll-over bar, etc...and it wouldn't be considered as a "Ferrari 328" so even after having it modified, you would have to pass it under the dreaded "Réception à titre isolée" with no gurantee of success) so it it in better hands now...

Rgds

8. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Probably not necessary to post any further driving impressions or archival materials; likely not much interest on this forum;)

johnhoughtaling likes this.
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thinking back on it, I think I have seen pictures but I don't recall any 328 part at all.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

10. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #12 johnhoughtaling, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Clay models Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Similar in concept and construction to Jim Glickenhaus’s P4/5 with Pininfarina, albeit with a more modest designer and Ferrari model. Similar to the P5/4, the designer took a stock Ferrari, removed he body, and designed a bespoke body and interior that is evocative of earlier Ferrari prototypes. Like P4/5 it was not an official Ferrari project but rather a concept car for the Frankfurt and Geneva Auto show. Unlike P 4/5 the Concioso was never officially adopted by Ferrari.

The amount of design work is incredible. The body was executed completely in aluminum. I’ll follow with photos from the further design and construction stages.

We are now doing a side by side comparison to a stock 1989 328 upon which it is based. The car is special to me because the 1989 328 was my first Ferrari that I bought at 27, and I still have it.

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Very cool collectors item. Congratulations on finding and acquiring it. And driving it.

But that aside...

Damn I love your garage!

12. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    It was built in 1993 with a 1989 GTS.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Nope; couldn't be that you are getting old. You're younger than me, and I remember it...so I'm not getting old....:D

Rgds

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #17 nerofer, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    I checked a period leaflet about it yesterday: its exact dry weight was given at the time as 982 kgs, which is 2170 lbs (2170 x 0,453 = 982 kgs).
    The weight of a standard euro GTS is about 1360 kgs (about 3005 lbs) without any petrol in the tanks, but with all fluids.
    So the weight difference is "about 375 kgs", or 830 lbs indeed.
    Rgds

That's the leaflet in question, but this one is very expensive, you can find it for less. The second page is readable, with the technical characteristics.
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/BROCHURE-ORIGINALE-MICHALAK-CONCISO-FERRARI-328-GTS-1-ESEMPL-DEPLIANT-PROSPEKT/192533417228?hash=item2cd3e2cd0c:g:SZEAAOSwLpda8GPc

15. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.

I’ll post some filmed drama bing impressions verses my 328.

It’s really fast, and the driving experience with not much of a windshield, feels like you are in a formula car. But what’s most impressive is how it brakes.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    reminds me of the 80 ish Lotus Elan with the Mitsubishi engine....

17. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I like that car but It looks very different in life. The conciso is Very low, very very wide and aggressive in person

18. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
  19. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
  20. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
  21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, great thread. It's very interesting to see all the work that went into building it. I think I'm somewhere along with Tommy that I had heard of it but don't remember that it was built on a 328. It was, and actually still is, very futuristic looking. Probably WAY TOO futuristic looking to go into production back in the 90's.

Oh, and yeah that is a killer garage!!