So.Ca 0117S a barn find by M.MASSINI 2006 | FerrariChat

So.Ca 0117S a barn find by M.MASSINI 2006

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by smartteen, May 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #1 smartteen, May 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have bought this 195 inter rebodied in a 121 LM in 1956 and found by Marcel Massini in 2006 in California.
    I know that the car race in the "50" in Italy and come from USA (California late "50" early "60"): I want to know the owners of this car;I am aware of Mister Peter Helm (Hollywoodian actor) owned it in the years 1962-63 ? and the last American owner (for forty years) was Mister Podolor Richard Allen in south of California ....1966-68 to 2006 year of the barn find.
    If Somebody can give informations about this car or about the previous owners ,I 'll be obliged for life.
    Two pics:
    -1951 in race at Stella Alpina (first place with Salvatore Ammendola).Coachbuilder MOTTO
    -Today, with his 121LM Scaglietti Body.(paint since forty years)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #2 smartteen, May 4, 2008
    With this Californian license plate, you see to the right car of this pic,can anybody obtain the name of the previous and (or) following owner ? Or what can I do ?
    I have on my hand the last Californian certificate of ownership (date issued 11/22/68 ) license number XUR 237 .Please can you help me to find the name of the previous Californian owner ? I am living from south of France.Many thanks.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Martteen, you will probably draw a better reponse in the Vintage forum. Thread moved.

4. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Again : the body is NOT a 121 LM one.

5. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    What is the body ??
    For me the wheel base of my 195 inter is 2500 mm and it is the measure of the 118LM or 121LM.
    fOR THE 500 MONDIAL OR 750 MONZA THE WHEEL BASE IS 2250 MM.

Please find the quote of Bill noon who has expected the car :

What I can tell from looking at the car is the entire frame, front and rear suspension as well as axle, brakes, hubs, splines etc... are 2nd generation Ferrari components. Basically the frame is pure GILCO and the rest all early Ferrari bits and pieces, Engine, gearbox from the GTE.
    The body however was at least built and I believe probably first fitted to a long-wheel base, dry sump, transaxle, de-Dion sports racer. This is based on dry-sump tank body mounts as well as external oil fill that is now covered over as well as rear transaxle/de-Dion attachment points on the current body.
    I have traded two of the original 121LMs and the same features are found on those cars that appear on the body of this car.
    Mind you, that the body of this car has plenty of scars and lots of rework after the fact but the heart of it as well as all original aluminum panels that are there date from 1954-55 time frame.
    Cheers,
    Bill Noon

6. TheUnlimitedClass

Apr 10, 2006
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    www.UnlimitedClass

Call or write to the California DMV.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/contacts/international_contact.htm

Good luck man, it may take a while!

They will want to see a copy of your paperwork and all of that, so write the letter and zerox the old title and new title explaining you are a collector and want any information they have in their archives. They may have a forensic title department that can help you.

Edit:

I just realized the way the DMV works they may not send postage back to France. PM me and you can email me the inquiry and I can send it from here (Los Angeles) and they can send it back to me and I can send it to you.

I have emailed a car dealer friend to see if he knows how to chase something this old down also.
    Hope that helps you.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it may be an old racing car body that was cut up and modified to fit 195 Inter chassis. The wheelbase dimensions may be (about) the same, but this seems not to be the case with the driver/steering wheel position. I still like it. Best wishes, Kare

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Good luck with that! I seriously doubt that the CA DMV will release the names of any owners, past or present, unless requested by law enforcement.

The only thing your dealer friend can do is run a report to find the current owner and/or lienholder.

9. TheUnlimitedClass

Apr 10, 2006
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    www.UnlimitedClass
    On the PelicanParts forum I once read a similar thread on a 356 I think ... and there was mention about a special forensic department at the DMV that deals with this type of stuff in Sacramento. Next time I am stuck in traffic I can try and call them ... but as anyone from California knows ... the DMV is one huge ball of pain.

10. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    The CA DMV will provide info on cars if you can give the VIN and the Plate number. I was able to locate the last owner of my 308 (a lady!) thru the Registration Records Request form. It's a $20 fee and you get a computerized printout.

I tried for my GTE which was registered in CA in the 1970s, but they returned the request form and check as they said they had no records (and I had no plate info).

Records from the 1960s are likely in storage, but you can try!

Use this form...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf

11. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Thank you for your proposal, I sent you a PM soon.

QUOTE CARE : I think it may be an old racing car body that was cut up and modified to fit 195 Inter chassis. The wheelbase dimensions may be (about) the same, but this seems not to be the case with the driver/steering wheel position. I still like it. Best wishes, Kare

Kare, it is always a pleasure to read you ,yes I am still looking for the donor of my 0117S body ? It may be combination of more than one car or a body race car (6 or 7 118L-121LM built?) or still a new body surplus make by Scaglietti built in 1954 1955 ?
    Oh you still like it.... if you come from France ,we go together try the car, it is a marvellous machine to drive.
    Today 09:33 AM

QUOTE T308 The CA DMV will provide info on cars if you can give the VIN and the Plate number. I was able to locate the last owner of my 308 (a lady!) thru the Registration Records Request form. It's a $20 fee and you get a computerized printout.
    I tried for my GTE which was registered in CA in the 1970s, but they returned the request form and check as they said they had no records (and I had no plate info).
    Records from the 1960s are likely in storage, but you can try!
    Use this form...
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf

Thank you for this information T308 , I shall try this way also.

12. TheUnlimitedClass

Apr 10, 2006
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    www.UnlimitedClass
    So here is what I was able to find out .. which was nothing! Sorry! I needed to find out information on a '58 Speedster my father owned from 1958 and sold in 1998 so this thread inspired me to make the call for both of us.

Anyway .. here is some info on how it works for any others trying to find info on their cars:

This information comes from Loretta with the DMV public relations department in Sacramento at 1 (916) 657-6560. Surprisingly, my phone call was answered on the 3rd ring and this was a fairly painless process of discovery which took about 15 minutes.

Since 9/11, the records would need to be subpoenaed through a lawyer as all the records are confidential now. I explained the owner was in France, and getting a subpoena would be fine, but before he went through the effort, could she tell me if there were in fact any records in her computer for the vehicle worth subpoenaing.

(If anyone calls this number they will tell you if there are records, but will not reveal what they are ... but at least you can find out if there is anything in the file worth chasing after.)

I gave her both license plate numbers provided, the vin and the certificate of ownership number. She looked up all of these numbers but unfortunately no records exist in the computer for this vehicle.

I asked her if she thought further examination by a lawyer to subpoena any records may produce any results and she said that she did not think so. She said she had worked at the DMV for "100 years" and that she understood what I was after but she simply did not think it existed for this vehicle. Once the car is removed from the system, it is gone for good according to Loretta.

There may be a possibility that Loretta may not know everything, but she seemed very knowledgeable about finding the records. There is a possibility a lawyer could find more, but I would doubt it. A few hundred dollars for a lawyer may turn something up if it is an actual subpoena however .. you never know. Maybe someone on here that is a lawyer could help you!

Anyway .. cheers!

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Anyone have any idea if the Motto body still exists?

14. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Thank you very much,don't sorry, the search continue.

You know that this Scaglietti body was placed on 0117S the 02/17/1956 by Gastone Crepaldi concessionnary Ferrari to Milano and the Motto was to Milano at this time, after no idea ?
    I have read today on the brookland book FERRARI 1947-1957 "road test limited edition" that it was a hundred bodies 500 mondial 750 monza 118LM 121LM who were built by Scaglietti in just over two years, there have minor changes made from time and probably no two Monza bodies are ever exactly alike in all details.

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I have a booklet called "How to Find Cars & Owners", dated 1992. Even then (16 years ago) it says that archive records in California for title and registration searches only go back as far as 1976.

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I tried to track my '57 Corvette as far back as possible when I bought the hulk in the 80s. The Arkansas DMV had a copy of the California registration from sometime during the 60s. I found out then that nothing is available from California that far back. And it's worse today because of the Driver Protection Safety Act which prevents the states from revealing personal info on DMV records unless your have a court order, are a cop, etc, etc.

17. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    ho, it is not a good new for me , I hope peter HELM can find his old papers and help me !!!

18. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Excuse me , I don't understand,if the records archives are not available (non-existent) the fact to have a court order or to be a cop don't alter anything ?

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    True. But even if the records did exist, you would need a court order or a have to be cop before they would release anything with personal data. This is all because of the implimentation of the Driver's Protection Safety Act which was passed into law after actress Rebecca Schaeffer was murdered by a wacko who obtained her address from a private detective who got the address from the California DMV. This is now a nationwide law. http://www.franksreelreviews.com/shorttakes/shaeffer/shaeffer.htm

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I looked up Peter Helm in my Motion Picture Guide index, and apparently he appeared in only two films, "The Longest Day" (1962), and "Inside Daisy Clover" (1965). He isn't listed in my old encyclopedia of television shows and actors.

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Precisely. Drivers Privacy Protection Act.

22. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
  23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks

24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #24 T308, May 11, 2008
    I believe ya Wayne, but here's a blacked out copy of what I got from the DMV. The previous owners name was listed next to Prior R/O.

25. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Ok, at my point of view it will be interesting or important to know if the records exist,after we will see, but it seems, if I have understand ,that the records are not existing before 1976 ?