So.Ca 0117S a barn find by M.MASSINI 2006 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

So.Ca 0117S a barn find by M.MASSINI 2006

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by smartteen, May 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Well, it is of course a shame to hide that wonderful body with a flanel pyama, but isn't that always the case?

Looks very nice!

Regarding the gearbox: where has Marcel disappeared to? And isn't there anyone who re-makes these boxes? Copies of some 250 boxes casn be had, maybe contact the manufacturers? (I wonder what Classiche would ask for a box .....no, don't answer that!)

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    + infinity! It's wonderful to see someone going through this much effort :)

3. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    QUOTE Readplays
    +1 He is definitely walking the walk and (as well) reaping the benefits of virtue being its own reward. Congratulations on a magnificent job on a wonderful car. Best of luck and happy motoring Smartteen.

I am embarrassed but I do not merit these congratulations, : I am only an impassioned for a very exciting project .
    Merci beaucoup.

Quote f308jack:
    Regarding the gearbox: where has Marcel disappeared to? And isn't there anyone who re-makes these boxes? Copies of some 250 boxes casn be had, maybe contact the manufacturers? (I wonder what Classiche would ask for a box .....no, don't answer that!)

Classiche Ferrari were contacted and I am waiting for their reply ! But it is obviousness, if I can, a period gearbox will be better.

4. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Stu, I don't forgot you phone for me to black bart's Emporium for my Scaglietti badges, you... are wonderful ! and also other members of the American FC community who have help me; Bryan who sent me pics and essential informations and all the other who participate also. THANK YOU VERY MUCH AT ALL.
    Guy

5. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    From Tom Yang's site there was mention of a 250 gearbox on ebay right now, though it's noted as a 330 one. E-bay,item 300330594290.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Yale,

I think he already has an entire GTE drivetrain in the car. I think he is trying to get a 195 drivetrain for it.

Regards,

Art S.

7. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #182 smartteen, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #183 smartteen, Jul 17, 2009
  9. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Marteen - That is just spectacular! Thanks for sharing everything.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I distinctly remember walking around and around this car when it was in this condition in the holding area of the auction in Monterey several years ago. Thank you for saving this car, Martteen; it went to a very good home!

11. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Bryan, many thinks are still to do on 0117S , but what was already made on it, is also because of you with all the informations who gave me.
    Yes, the car was in bad condition at the RM's Sport Car Auction in Monterey in 2006/august and nobody (or few persons) know what was this historic and rarest car ,only Philippe Olczyk who buy the car for Paul Grant (Vandervaeken Belgium).Do you remenber also that several persons want to raise the bid but the hammer down very quickly (?) and nobody else could place a bid. Have you see also that this car was added after in the list (in the list of lots, this car has had not a number 1 - 2 -3 ....but 467 (A) it was the only in this case and the N°467 was an Aston martin DBR "replica" ??? 467 and 467A the "same" number were REPLICAS !!!! what a confusion and indistinctness !!! All this can explain the price was stay very low.

Once more many thanks Bryan for your precious help.

12. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Bryan, many things are still to do on 0117S ........ sorry !

13. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #188 smartteen, Jul 31, 2009
  14. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    #189 smartteen, Sep 16, 2009
    Mr Peter Helm told me, "the man who purchase my car was productor and musical " and we know the last owner was Richard Allen Polodor for 40 years.
    A friend of me has found today a part of mystery with the document I post here, in fact Richie allen was Richard Allen Polodor who was effectively productor and guitarist, that will be means there no other owner beetwen peter Helm (who owned 0117S ) and Polodor but that means also Polodor has not registered the car immediately ?
    M.Massini told us polodor has the car since 1966 ,and the certificate of ownership of California is 11/22/68 date issue .
    I thought there is only one owner missing to have the integrality of the 0117S owner since 1951.
    For my restoration, I am still looking for a period gearbox , I confirm my new engine is the 1950 195S SN:083S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    smartteen, you are right, when I was in the auction, the car was very late and I understand the car very well at this time. Nobody really understand it at this time. 5 Minutes after the auction, I had already offer twice the price paid, but the car was promess to VDV

16. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Marteen,

Did you ever get any more information on:

What happened to the original body?
    When was the new body placed on the car?
    Who owned the car when it received the new body?
    Who is the manufacturer of the new body?

Here is the information on the body from this thread: (Some wording edited....)

Post #5

Please find the quote of Bill noon who has expected the car :

“What I can tell from looking at the car is the entire frame, front and rear suspension as well as axle, brakes, hubs, splines etc... are 2nd generation Ferrari components. Basically the frame is pure GILCO and the rest all early Ferrari bits and pieces, Engine, gearbox from the GTE.

The body however was at least built and, I believe, probably first fitted to a long-wheel base, dry sump, transaxle, de-Dion sports racer. This is based on dry-sump tank body mounts as well as external oil fill that is now covered over as well as rear transaxle/de-Dion attachment points on the current body.

I have traded two of the original 121LMs and the same features are found on those cars that appear on the body of this car.

Mind you, that the body of this car has plenty of scars and lots of rework after the fact but the heart of it as well as all original aluminum panels that are there date from 1954-55 time frame.”

Cheers,
    Bill Noon

Post 5 - Marteen

The wheel base of my 195 Inter is 2500 mm and that is the measurement of the 118LM or 121LM. The 500 Mondial or 750 Monza have a wheelbase of 2250 mm.

Post 14 – Marteen

“Originally Posted by dretceterini - Anyone have any idea if the Motto body still exists?”

You know that this Scaglietti body was placed on 0117S the 02/17/1956 by Gastone Crepaldi concessionnary Ferrari to Milano and the Motto was to Milano at this time, after no idea ? (Not sure if I understand this statement??? – Bill O’Brien)

I read in the Brookland book Ferrari 1947-1957 "Road Test Limited Edition" that there were a hundred bodies (500 Mondial, 750 Monza, 118LM, 121LM) which were built by Scaglietti in just over two years, there have been minor changes made from time and probably no two Monza bodies are ever exactly alike in all details.

17. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
  18. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    QUOTE Bill_OBrien In regards to the current body:

From Barchetta.cc
    1956/February/17 - Rebodied by Scaglietti into a 121 LM Scaglietti Spyder
    - painted silver
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All....S.195Inter.htm

Bill Obrien, you have almost all the informations in your question !

What happened to the original body? I don't know, probably destroy ?

When was the new body placed on the car? The 17/feb/1956; see to the Pubblico registro automobilistico of brescia and also PRA of Milano ( also automobile club d'Italia).

Who owned the car when it received the new body? The owner was Gastone Crepaldi (concessionnary Ferrari at Milano) who have bought the car to Domenico Lococo and before the car was sold to Mr Curti edoardo the 14/AUGUST/1956 ; it is a possibility the car stay the property of Mr Curti until 1961 , after Mr Helm bought the car who was resold to richie Allen Polodor in 1962 until 2006. There is also a possibility the car was sold to an another person between Curti and Helm, tody it is the only doubt I have !

Who is the manufacturer of the new body? Scaglietti was the manufacturer, and I think the silver color was in fact the natural color of the alloy (aluminium) and probably also by the fact.....the body was new ???

19. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Philippe, I know this fact you have told me, but I thank you very much to inform the Ferrari community.
    Oh ,I have received today your book I have bought on Amazon " The genious behind Ferrari's Success" BIZZARRINI, and you post on this thread today, what a coincidence !! how do you know I bought your book ?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! I'll have to look for that book.....