So Charging A 296, Let's Discuss | FerrariChat

So Charging A 296, Let's Discuss

Discussion in '296' started by Cadeaux, Jul 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    I think others probably have the same questions being that this might be their first hybrid too. I asked my salesman during the test drive and he really did not know much, I looked around in the Sf90 section but didn't see much

1. If you don't use EV mode, do we need to constantly keep the battery charged?

2. How long can it go without charging? Is it a time thing ie x amount of days or is it a mileage thing?

3. On a regular wall outlet, what's the time to charge that small battery?

4. I shop at whole foods every week, they have free charging for EV's from "charge point", I put my tesla on the charger, it doesn't do much say 10-15 miles while im in the store, would this charger work on the 296 if I drove it to the grocery store say sunday morning?

of2worlds and soulsea like this.
  2. AlamoPoke

AlamoPoke Rookie

Feb 11, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I can only speak from my SF90 experience and I’m not sure how it will extrapolate to a 296, but I’ll take a stab at these questions in the hope that it’s helpful.
    1. I’ve been conditioned through years of Ferrari ownership to always keep the cars on battery tenders. I treat the SF90 in the same fashion. I keep it charging when not in use at home.
    2. My understanding is that it can sit longer than a Pista—but that’s not saying much. I’d say a few days, but given the notorious sensitivity of Ferrari electrics to battery status and the sheer magnitude of electronics in the SF90, I don’t want to take any chances. I had to have the software updated on my SF90 and it takes forever to download and install updates — it was out of commission for several days just for an update. Once you’re driving the car in Performance mode, the battery charges quickly.
    3. The SF90 battery takes about 9 hours to charge fully with a regular old wall outlet based on my experience. It charges in only about 15 minutes in performance mode while driving.
    4. I figure with a fast a charger you could easily top off the battery on a grocery run. The 296 will have more front storage than the SF90 so you might be able to fit something up there — the 296 should have more versatility as the SF90 front space is VERY minimal.

3. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate it

BigJay2050 likes this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    This video is based on the SF90, but, the 296 battery is about the same size/range, so, the results should be pretty similar.

@Cadeaux

5. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's pretty disappointing that the car won't run in EV mode from cold. One of the main benefits of EV running with such a car is being able to leave your home at unsociable hours and not disturbing your family and neighbours with a load ICE engine.

Doug. likes this.
  6. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    So am I reading the above right, if I go for a long drive in qualifying mode it does not need a charger? I assume you mean spirited drive 70-100 mph? So qualifying mode charges your battery as you drive? How fast does that charge?

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Did you get a chance to watch the entire video? It does not appear to take very long at all to fully re-charge the battery while driving. The battery capacity is very very small, it will not require much to re-charge it.

8. BeachDoc

BeachDoc Rookie

Jan 30, 2022
    Full Name:
    Paul Johnstone
    My salesman told me that because the plug in charger also charges the engine battery it is best to keep it plugged in while not driving.

9. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    That would seem to be a software or design glitch which I would hope is not present on the 296. As you note quite driving for the benefit of your neighbours and zero emission mode getting out of city centres that charge for such – assuming the batteries last long enough!

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    For the 296 the battery recharges as you drive but still needs to he plugged in just like every other Ferrari. It seems for the 296, the electric is there more for additional power than fuel efficiency.

Cadeaux likes this.
  11. RADONCulous

RADONCulous Rookie

Jul 25, 2017
    Miami
    Is the 296 suitable (or capable) of a road trip where it won't be plugged in a for a few days?

Would driving it charge the battery enough?

Thanks

12. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    Hello, I drive a Ferrari 296 GTB since two weeks. My car run cold in the electric mode. I start the car without any noise (yellow H Button) and drive eletric. Trick is to come back with the electric mode. Because the car remember always the last position before you leaving the car.
    ======

I can drive round about 22 Kilometers electric. If you drive in the H mode. If you use the flag mode on the left side from the steering wheel the battery go down until 12 Kilometer. But never go down until 11-12 Kilometer. If I drive in the performance mode (clock on the left) the car has always 12 kilometer battery.

I never charge my car. When I drive home, I use 10 minutes before the "performance clock mode" In this mode the car charge the battery. I need about 10 minutes from 11 Kilometer to 21 Kilometer and the battery is full. I know my english could be better :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    awesome. more importantly have you raced anyone on the street or tracked your car?

BigJay2050 likes this.
  14. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    If you mean me, yes of course. I live in Germany. Many parts from Germany are a race street with no speed limit :) I have always 12 Kilometer energy in the battery. Never less in the track mode

BigJay2050 likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013

This might be of interest. He says he can charge his SF90 faster with this device.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

CinciOptics likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe these cars can start in EV mode but the electronics have to see the battery has enough charge to do so. If it thinks the battery needs some charging, it will run the ICE. I think the E stuff is really not so much for fuel efficiency when running with the ICE on - rather- its for reduction of emissions on the test regime. I also bet the test for mileage is something where the 15-20 miles of e range on these cars brings the MPG up considerably. Again, not likely how we would drive the car, but from a manufacturer stand point, what counts is the tests.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sushistar likes this.
  17. Dino_Argento

Dino_Argento Karting

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Dino Diary
    Having had your 296 for nearly a year do you still just drive it without charging it Or keeping it in plugged into a charger when not in use?

Has it affected battery performance or life by doing this?

18. daviderx

daviderx Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Palm Beach County
    Full Name:
    David
    . I WOULD NOT RISK USING ANYTHING OTHER THAN 110 VOLTAGE AT HOME ON YOUR FERRARI

19. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. CinciOptics

CinciOptics Karting

Nov 10, 2022
    Full Name:
    James B
    I dont see where this has been directly answer, semi-related, how far can the 296 go on Qualify mode before the battery has to be charged?

21. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
    All day long. It stays topped up better than performance.

CinciOptics and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ive noticed the same as well. In my area, I can only deploy all the power in brief moments. And the roads have some good twists and curves, but they don't go on and on and on like in Europe. So I wonder if I had the opportunity to be on it for longer and to power out of more and more bends if it would deplete the battery. Where I am, driving in Performance will bring the battery down to about 50% and it keeps it there. Whereas Qualify will keep the battery nearly full the whole time, and it feels better to me. I like to drive it in Qualify/ Race or Sport, or if I went to wet mode I might go to Performance. I dont like hybrid at all. E mode is fun as a curiosity for me.

23. hubyone

hubyone Rookie

Aug 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    yes.. much better than performance.
    I noticed it as well

24. 488gtbmasergt

488gtbmasergt Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    Not sure if it is relevant to this thread but I just tried to go up a 10 km twisty road (from 400m to 1200m in altitude). The battery was just announced as fully charged (so showing a 25 km range). I switched from Qualifying to Emode. At about 8km up the road I had only 5km range left. I had to switch to Quali again to pass a truck at that point. Just to say that I think that I would have barely made it up in full eMode. And I drove the whole time behind a regular car and tried to be super conservative (braking and accelerating).

And to comment on a previous post, I also enjoy Qualimode the best followed by Emode when going through towns. I do not really see the point in my daily use of the perfmode or the hybrid mode as I do not get the battery to charge in either of these two modes... or so it seems...

25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    All these comnents are helpful! I am driving my 296 to the office today and going to leave it there till Monday/Tuesday with no charge. Wish luck for Tuesday :)