So, this just happened. Damned electricals... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

So, this just happened. Damned electricals...

Discussion in '308/328' started by thorn, Sep 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Another Sunday, another day of testing...

A couple of weeks ago, I took another extremely close look at the wiring. Everything looked in order, but I decided to completely pull all the wires from the XDI harness and examine. I found a couple of shield wires were barely hanging in there, and a couple others had iffy splicing. So, off to Amazon to buy Molex connectors. I spent most of yesterday installing brand-new terminals on various bits, and reinstalling everything. Started the car, and noticed that the "rubbly up/down" idle I've been used to was gone; cold-to-warm, it's now just an even pitch... instead of sounding like it has some weird racing cams with steep profiles.

So, great (I thought.) Let's test drive.

Car was running great today, as always for about 30 minutes. Then died. (Another $80 for the towing company.) But as I was waiting for the truck, I noticed I was able to completely recreate the "death" in a way that I haven't before. After 3 identical deaths, I shot it on video.

This is just sitting in a parking lot. From about the 5 second mark (just after startup) to the end of the video, my foot is not moving on the gas pedal. I'm holding at 2500 RPM, and then the death spiral starts about 20 seconds in.

I've seen some suggestions regarding fuel delivery issues; at present I'm suspecting a bad fuel pump.

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I don’t think a fuel pump can respond that fast, especially because of the fuel pressure accumulator. I’m still thinking ignition dripping out.

Aaron

Steve Magnusson and Martin308GTB like this.
  3. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Have you replaced the crank position sensor on the XDI system?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is the accumulator part of the pressure equation when the car is running? (I don't know, thus asking.) I'd put the pump circuit on a scope if I could, but don't personally own a scope (had to return a borrowed one) - and heck, the pump is cheaper than a scope.

(FWIW, the accumulator is brand new. And this problem existed both before and after it was replaced.)

No, but the hall sensor version is in my shopping cart. I'm still not happy with the resistance values I'm getting on the mag sensor, even after my wiring fixes. And a hall sensor is relatively cheap.

5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    The fuel delivery seems like a good culprit based on that video. If you managed to pressurize the accumulator during startup (i.e. fuel pump works initially), and then the fuel pump stops pumping, then the accumulator will continue to feed the engine until it is depleted. And you'd expect it to exhibit that "running out of fuel" behavior of dying, not dying, dying, not dying...dead.

Did you ever get a chance to check out the air flow meter theory? I still feel like that's got a shot--if your airflow meter is somehow dying once the engine heats up, it could kill power to the fuel pump but only after the engine is started. This is basically what you're experiencing. Easy check: just disconnect the blue connector to the air flow meter when you have this problem and see if the problem goes away. Here's a an old thread on the location of the air flow meter connection (also called a "safety switch").
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fuel-pump-sound-with-ignition-on-308-qv.159112/#post-136895202

Also, glad to hear at least the car is running smoother with a rebuild of the XDI wiring harness. Some progress :)

6. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The pump moves gas into a fairly large pressure accumulator, so even if the pump suddenly stopped when the engine was running, the accumulator would keep the pressure up for a while, I’d bet about 15 seconds. But that’s just a guess.

The other side of that coin is that when the pump starts again it has to recharge that accumulator before it would get full pressure to the fuel meter.

Your video looks on/off/on/off too quickly to be fuel pressure to me. (A fuel pressure gauge on the inlet line would be helpful though).

Aaron

7. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Exactly. It shouldn't take long for the fuel pump to pressurize the accumulator--maybe 3-5 seconds. If the fuel pump died in the middle of running, the accumulator will drain based on the engine demands--let's assume 15-20 seconds for a moderately loaded engine.

So, for instance, if the pump were only energized while the engine was cranking or died short after starting, the engine would run for 15-20 seconds. As the accumulator drains/de-pressurizes, it's unlikely that the engine just dies...It'll choke and sputter a few times before it dies.

In the video above, the car starts, runs for 20 seconds and then sputters and dies. If the fuel pump was only on at the very beginning, I'd expect *exactly* what happens in that video.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm pretty certain that's ignition cutout. Fuel delivery on a 308 CIS setup can't cut out instantly like that - exactly as Aaron says. The way the cutout interval shortens almost suggests some sort of feedback buildup loop when it starts to cut out. It would be interesting to go super slow-mo playback on the recording and note the timing intervals of cut/resume/cut from when it starts to when it dies.

Brian Harper likes this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was thinking of this exact thing this afternoon; unfortunately, didn't have a tool with me that I could open the airbox.

($20K worth of tools in my box, and I'm stranded with a 17mm wrench and a screwdriver)

It's really a screwy situation.... the car will run perfectly at idle in my garage for an hour. But on the road, 30 mins and dies. (And then a tow truck.) Gah, just to be able to actually recreate it with proper testing abilities...

Hate just shotgunning parts, but pretty much in that mindset now.

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Looks to me like the tach drop out is not only too fast to be a fuel problem, but the the tachometer leads the engine speed - the tach drops before the engine does and much more quickly. The needle bounces off the peg while the engine is still spinning. This has to be an electrical/ignition issue.

Saabguy likes this.
  11. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @thorn To simulate the fuel pump / accumulator interaction, you could simply start the car, and then pull the fuel pump wire at the fuseblock. Even hold the throttle pedal to keep the engine at 2500rpm so it matches your vid.

That should at least tell how the vehicle behaves when the fuel pump completely dies while it's running.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tried that today. Idle at normal (and 2k), pull fuse - car immediately dies. No dip-dip-dip, just immediate.

13. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Well, at least it tells you (and the rest of us) that the accumulator doesn't keep the car running. Fuel pump dies, car dies. Immediate.

But it does mean a flakey connection to the fuel pump OR an intermittent pump could cause the behavior.

Might still be worthwhile just disconnecting the air flow sensor next time you drive the car (I thought that blue connector is outside the airbox?). If it's disconnected, the pump should run whenever the key is on regardless of the state of the engine. When the car dies, listen for the fuel pump. If you still hear it and it's not cycling on/off, then it's fine.

And then you're back to even higher confidence that it's something in the ignition system.

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    To my ear (and I am just a punter), it sounds like all cylinders fire enthusiastically for briefer and briefer periods of time. Something is telling the engine to stop running then letting it go again. Frequency valve? O2 sensor?

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If it's fuel related hooking up the CIS gauges to monitor fuel pressures would be the fastest way to figure out where in the system the problem is.

I still lean that it's ignition related. Replace the mag sensor with the hall unit. Mag sensors are absolute junk in these applications.

Trying to recall if the QV has this....
    Other thing to look at is the relay and fuses in the trunk... Passenger side under the antenna... There's an over voltage relay sitting in there, tied into the fuel system. I think the QV has this...I know the 328 does... If not disregard.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ahhh.... sorry, I was reading one thing (airflow sensor) and thinking another (metering plate under the air filter). Too much time in the sun yesterday.

So, to respond more appropriately - yes, have disconnected the sensor on the fuel distributor. No change in behavior, car still died.

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    A clogged fuel filter....inside your fuel tank or that after the fuel pump.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmmm, interesting video that sounded very familiar...

When I changed the injectors on my 328 it acted exactly like your video until the air was purged from the fuel lines. Took several restarts until it cleared up and ran normally. I realize that you didn't change injectors or otherwise open a fuel line but the similarity to the reaction of the engine to new/injectors/air in the fuel lines is striking! I'm wondering if a hose or fitting could be leaking so as to allow air into the fuel lines.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It's the roughly 30 mins of runtime that is odd and yet narrows down where to look. If there was a leak then it would be consistent. I'm thinking the time factor points to a thermal sensor or a sensor effected by heat, I'm just not recalling at the moment if the QV has the same CIS setup as the 328, frequency valve and secondary ecu on the passenger side.

I'd still look at the ignition system, mag sensors have given me nothing but grief on the 3x8's, that's why I won't use them. Hall effect fixes a plethora of problems.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,
    did you meanwhile check/by-pass the ignition switch, like I suggested further above?

Best from Germany
    Martin

greg328 likes this.
  21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "It's the roughly 30 mins of runtime that is odd and yet narrows down where to look. If there was a leak then it would be consistent.'

I agree and at first I was totally convinced it was ignition/electrical but that video made me lean toward fuel because that's what it sounds like to me - running out of gas! It seems unlikely that air could be getting into the fuel lines only after 30 minutes so now I'm wondering if it's not the opposite problem - fuel tank venting. If the tank is not venting properly, after a period of running time, the pump can't pull any more fuel so the engine is "out of gas."

It could explain why it takes 30 minutes to happen. Then, after a period of sitting, the pressure slowly equalizes and the engine will be normal until, once again, the pump creates a vacuum in the fuel tank. The running time would depend on how the car was driven - aggressively and it would 'run out of gas' relatively quickly. Low speed/idling, it would take quite a long time.

MFlanagan likes this.
  22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Excellent point... Something to look at, easy enough, remove fuel cap. I will say though, it'd be a first for me that a 308/328 has an air tight fuel system! Fuel systems tend to build pressure, 308/328 esp so with the saddle tanks in the engine bay, all nice and toasty.

I had a Mercedes amg that did a very similar thing, ran for 30 min or so then died... Cool down, run again. Now that monster had diagnostic codes so easy to track the problem. Turned out the crank sensor that sat right next to the exhaust, once it got hot... It failed. That stupid sensor will forever be a failure point in need of replacement... Stupid design.

23. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Have you tried starter spray into the air flow when it’s dying? At least it would indicate fuel or spark.

24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Particularly, 30 mins under actual load. If I just run in the garage for an hour, no problem. But after 20-40 mins of 55mph, it happens. And once it happens, the MPH doesn't matter. As in the video, it eventually won't even run for for a minute. And the next morning, all is well (until it isn't.)

I don't believe those components are present.

Have one ordered; should be here with a week or so.

I looked at the ignition switch some time ago, when the problem (rarely) first occurred. Even laid under the steering wheel, wiggling everything trying to kill it. No success, so I decided the switch was probably ok.

I'm not convinced it is NOT a fuel problem; I've been reading up on symptoms (for all cars), and heat seems to be a factor consistent with a dying fuel pump - especially related to "once cool, the car runs run". My pump looks original, so maybe it's just age.

Fuel hoses are all recent (Helms hoses), and car has no symptoms of any vacuum leaks.

I did a fuel system pressure test several weeks ago, trying to diag the classic "hot start" problem so many others have. System pressures looked fine throughout the whole test period. I couldn't even quite condemn the accumulator, but for good measure I replaced it anyway. Hot start problems are slightly improved, but not gone.

And of course, the car didn't ALWAYS have this problem. My first day of ownership was a 5-hour drive back to Florida with no issues. Have taken a lot of 90 min trips for weekends at the beach. But it's gone from "occasional" - maybe after 60 mins of driving, dying once - to now "every drive over 20 mins, dying endlessly". So it feels like some component is wearing/worn out.

In any case, I've order both a Hall sensor and a new fuel pump; I'll also be replacing the fuel filter, which I already have. I know it's a shotgun approach - which I sort of despise - but being stranded on the roadside and towing it home is getting a bit old. ;)

I haven't; definitely a good idea, and one I'll keep in mind if these other 2 replacements don't go well.

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Something about this is tickling my memory.... I'm going to ponder this.... Hopefully it comes to mind....
    What was the first change you made after getting back from Florida?
    You mention fuel hoses... All of them, as in even the cross over and vent lines? Charcoal canister?

Under load only...hmmmm... WUR function tested? Main distributor body filter clean? When fuel systems are disturbed lots of crap gets moved about.