So...what's life in Hawaii like? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So...what's life in Hawaii like?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Freelander, Feb 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was born on Oahu and lived there until I was 13. Living there wasn't the best experience ever, mostly because there is still a bit of misguided racism from the Polynesian kids I grew up with. There weren't ever many white kids in my school so maybe they felt they could get away with it.
    That said, I've been back twice to visit and it's one of the best experiences for a short visit, truly paradise.

2. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #27 mauispence, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is an old saying in the islands that goes“ the islands will either suck you in or spit you out but you’ll never be in doubt.’. :)I’ve found that to be true. I first came off the Alaska pipelint to Maui in 1976. I knew I wanted to live here as soon as I found the rain to be bath water warm. A lot has changed in that time but the shear beauty of Maui and all the islands for that matter has never changed. I can’t think of any place on Maui where I can’t just turn around in a circle and not see at lease one picture postcard view. Maui and all of Hawaii is a life style and not just a place to live. Too many people try to bring their life style to the islands and impose it on the local culture and traditions. Yes the mainland is slowly imposing it’s way of life on the islands but thank God I will not live to see the rest of Hawaii turn in to an extension of NYC, Atlanta, or LA. I’ve lived and worked in all those places and they
    SUCK!!! Honolulu is a big city but even there the influence of the islands is felt. To true is the fact that the state of Hawaii is facing many challenges. However there are a lot of good people of all races and ethnicities who work hard to make everyone feel welcome. The actual outcome of “Hawaiian’s Sovereignty” is still very debatable and unclear. While the Alaska Native Settlement for the Pipeline set the Gold standard for indigenous peoples the Sovereignty Movement is totally different and much more complicated. Whether they like it or not Hawaii and its people were captured by America because essentially they lost a war with Washington regardless of the number of shots fired. As to the legality of it all…. the winner writes the history books. I live to see the sun sets and the whales play and do my part in keeping the Marlin population in check. Where else can I go to work in shorts and and a Aloha shirt and be considered appropriately dressed. Where else can I tell people that the Ahie bite is on and I’ll have to see you later and no one needs a more complicated explanation. If you need a high speed lifestyle to be happy Maui is not for you. Oh yea is helps to speak "Da Kine pigen Ho Bra!' Mo betta you can sound like one local kine kamaaina guy dan one mainlan' hole EH!?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Very nicely put. And all the reasons in a nut shell why I wont go back.

4. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I was sucked in, ;) but yanked out. Been working on the plan to return for the last 16 years. :D

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #30 sowest, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was sent this picture a while ago. I thought that it was a great shot and a terrific illustration of the huge variety that the Islands provide. I find it fascinating as one can look at it and imagine the scene as being yesterday or 50,000 years ago.

6. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    ^ more like yesterday or 5,000,000 yrs ago...

7. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    You are absolutely correct. I was experiencing an acute but temporary shortage of zeros!! ;>)