So, why did you sell or are you selling your 360? ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So, why did you sell or are you selling your 360? ...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rowan, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Thanks for that. To be totally honest the real reason I’d sell my car is to pay off my house so I go back and forth which is why my selling effort appears so flaky. If she really becomes a 3K to 4K car in terms of maintenance I could live with that. So once again I probably won’t sell unless a can’t pass up offer comes along which is highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I'm not selling, but if I did....Top 3 reasons........

1. It was worth 10X what I paid (It's already gone up 2.5X)
    2. I'm sick of partaking in the usual Ferrari club PPE series (Posing, Parking and Eating)
    3. The CS no longer puts a smile on my face on road and track (it still does)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On to page two and no one has offered "The ashtray was full."

Disappointing.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Does the rubber timing belt in the 360 need more service than the chain drive in the 430?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    There is no “engine out” service required on the 430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    There is no “engine out” service required on the 360 either.

7. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I sold mine because it broke down, and for a car worth this much I couldn't handle it. Sitting on the side of the road in a Ferrari broken down sucks.
    Was a easy fix, but still. The repair costs were just ludicrous.
    Bought a 997 Turbo and trying to get a deal done now on a 2008 430. I can't help myself. Wife thinks I have ADHD. Maybe I do :)
    FYI I will be doing my own servicing with this next one as well.
    After all, it's just a car...right?

8. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I'm not selling mine but if I do in the future (near or far) these will be the reasons.
    1. Not much folks in the Fcar community that embraces tasteful mods to make the cars their own. (Don't take offense guys, we all know this is true. :()
    2. Meet more co-owners that are willing to beat the **** out of their car and go for long cruises regularly. That's a lot of fun, but most owners watch their miles like a hawk to a potential hit in value if they drive them often. Mr. Enzo Ferrari created our cars to be driven.
    3. Last but not least, go to a car meet and talk cars and not what I do for business or work. The only answer you can get out of me is "I'm a pimp". :D

Now back to you regular scheduled program....

Nachtfalter likes this.
  9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Nor 360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Maintenance blah blah blah ... if you own any Ferrari, there is a relative annual expenditure that is not on the same playing field as a "regular" car.

I bypassed the 430 and went directly to the 458. The technological advances are not in the same league. My 360 was a 6MT and I missed that car for a couple of weeks. Having been in a DCT with paddles, I will never go back, with one exception, F40.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Curt: only one thing to add brother, amen.

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Look at it this way... you buy a new car, average car, and finance it. Add up how much you spend in finance charges each year. Then tell me how much you "loose" when you sell the car 3 years or 4 years later.

If you own your 360 Ferrari outright I simply cannot understand how anyone can complain about even as much as $3000 a year to own it. You think owning a 360 is expensive? Get a boat (even a modest size) or an airplane and get back to me. Dave: looks like you own an airplane. And you're complaining about the costs of maintenance on a 360?

Take a look at the costs to repair a freshly out of warranty Corvette or Escalade. Cadillac years ago started putting the starter motor under the intake manifold. Want to take a stab at what it costs to put a starter on that engine?

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I expect expenses with these cars. Over four years, I spent about $40K total on my 456M, but some of that was optional and not strictly speaking required. Replacing the solid '01 brake rotors with the drilled '02/'03 rotors, doing an engine out to replace the motor mounts and hoses, and rebuilding the top end with new valve guides are the main examples there. That's preventative maintenance, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about driving the car on long distance vacations.

I'll to do the same kinds of things with the 360. First of all, I want to show the car, so the Capristo exhaust has to go, the aftermarket stereo has to go, and I need to acquire all the property for the car. It's at 25K miles, so I'll replace the motor and transmission mounts and all the hoses to get those warm fuzzies I like so much. Being it's a high-strung 40 valve V8, the top end rebuild might not be a bad idea either, but I listen to my mechanic on those things.

Mine's a rare stick/sunroof car, so there is no replacement for it. If somebody wanted to trade me even for a 430 stick coupe in yellow, I'd have to think about it.

14. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I don't own an airplane but I know a few guys who do and they are shocked by my maintenance costs. I do own my car outright. $3000 a year? I WISH. Maintenance alone has cost $6000 a year. If you add in depreciation I can argue its cost over $14000 a year. Now of course a few big bills will even out over time thereby lowering yearly cost as long as the car doesn't do anything else unexpected (yeah right rollover valves, dash, doors, top malfunctions, constant CELs). BTW I've had a boat albeit a smaller one plus several RV's and they don't hold a candle in terms of costs to this thing.

15. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey

Perfect.

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I drove my last 360 spider gate shifter for 4 years and someone offered me what I paid for it. I figured it was time and really didn't cost much at all to maintain. These cars are very reliable in my experience. I would say the only thing I hated about it was the front end would bottom out no matter how careful I was to avoid it. Otherwise I loved the car.

17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    MMMM same thing they were saying about the Testarossa and the 308s and now look at their prices.
    and just like the 996, those models will eventually go up in value, the 996 is a GREAT car (way better than the 993 although not as beautiful) a good Turbo or 4s.
    355=993, 360=996
    355 the most beautiful mid engine ferrari, just like the 993
    360 and 996 way modern cars and cheaper to maintain.

Drestless and Skidkid like this.
  18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    How many miles on your car? --and I get that some guys can just be unlucky and the mileage doesn't matter.

As far as the boat guys. I live in Florida. I can tell you many stories about friends whining and gnashing of teeth over the costs of boat ownership. One even told me "I should have bought a Ferrari" (before I even owned my 360). True enough $14K is a lot-- but as you said, if you keep the car it will probably "even out" over the long run. I repaired my A/C in my 993 twice each time at about $3200. I feel your pain. But really your case seems to be a rare one among guys who own these 360s.

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The 996 is a terrible car-- the IMS failures are making these cars nearly give aways. Tons of plastic parts.
    I don't recall any such catastrophic failures in the 993s. I owned one for 17 years and got more for it than the value of three 996s ---that additionally were much newer than my 993. You will never convince me of the idea that the 996 is a better car than the 993. I see the 996 going the way of the 914. And while not a 996 lets not forget to mention the engine failures and or subsequent reacall of ALL GT3s in 2015 (2015 IIRC) This is where and why I left Porsche.

They used to build only sports cars back in the day when that was all I would own. Now trucks or SUVs, "crossovers" and a 4Dr Sedan.
    I bought a Ferrari from the company that still focuses only on sports cars.

20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I do not agree with this, the IMS and the oil coolant separator issue can be fixed and they are solid great reliable cars, way faster, way modern, way better driving (not better looking though but not bad looking at all), also in the 996 the IMS CAN be fixed through a retrofit kit, some 997 cannot be retrofitted without a complete teardown of an engine.
    the 996 4S and the Turbos are great bargain cars

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm staying out of the back-and-forth on this, because everybody who's knowledgable about old cars in general, and Ferraris in particular, understands than any 360 can be made perfect with the application of enough money, <i>and expertise.</i> Recurring niggling little problems are usually the result of many bandaids being applied, one on top of another, without addressing the overall state of the car. I give myself a hard budget for a Ferrari, and I make sure I have over $10K left over after delivery to address the overall state of the car, <i>and I take it to a Ferrari certified master mechanic.</i>

I don't cheapskate with these cars.

22. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    exactly, but on the 996 note you can spend 4k to prevent an IMS and oil/coolant separator issue failure and you have a perfect reliable car for 22k
    I have spent around 22k in my 360 in my 2.5 years of ownership (but not just repairs, upgrades like fabspeed headers blankets and sport cats, new brakes, new Michelin tires, two minor services and 1 major service, and also OCD things like bumper respray, xpel, opticoat pro, airbag leather fix, etc etc), I am pretty sure any new sports car of the same price would have depreciated way more than that.

Drestless likes this.
  23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude. It's not just IMS. You had D-chunk failure on the 996, cylinder scoring, IMS retrofit failures with the Raby Ceramic bearing. They are crap cars and the market has spoken. My mechanic showed me an early m97 block with IMS failure. So even though the 997 is better.. it's not resolved until the 997.2 engine. Oil separator wasn't bad to replace on the 986 I had. Interior also cracks and fades like no tomorrow. Only option with a 9x6 model is the full leather interior and a Turbo with the Metzger engine IMHO.

Agree with depreciation . Had I bought an Aston DB9 V8 Vantage instead of my 360, it would have easily depreciated 5 figures in the same time my 360 has appreciated modestly. I would have spent 50-60ish to have a car worth mid to upper 30's. Or, I could have bought Mercedes AMG (insert model here) for $1xx,xxx to have it worth $2x,xxx today. :)

Guys my point was no matter what car was purchased, there's always a reason to complain and everyone has a different experience with cars.

Drestless likes this.
  24. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    KGC it has 20697 mi. I had a nice 996 C2 convertible stick I wish to god I would have kept. The only reason I sold it was IMS fear which I think is largely fanned by the internet. $2700 would have done the IMS but I scoffed at the idea of that much maintenance at the time. Little did I know.

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    With 20K miles that sucks. I haven't looked at the old thread to see what it was that went wrong with your 360 and how come it was that pricey. My car has 21K on it so we shall see... going in for all fluid changes and general "check up".

You may wish you had the 996 back but rest assured, the IMS as well as other problems were lying in wait. It's not a myth fanned by the internet. When Bruce Anderson was alive, he cautioned anyone buying a 996 to have an extra $12 to $15K in reserve to cover engine replacement in any 996 being considered. I've been a 911 guy all my life. I'm well acquainted with the 996 shortcomings. Over 30 years in the PCA and I got friends who've owned 'em. Not happy campers. But of course even fixing the 996 correctly is no $14K endeavor. Yet with that said, I assure you the 996s will not hold their value and it will not gain either. Just a pipe dream of guys buying them at bargain prices. I just don't see it. On the other hand, you now own a 360 Ferrari. Hold on to it and it will climb in value. Production of the 996 was really high as Porsche tried to provide a boat load of cars for lease. Many survived. Even fewer are wanted.

360 market is soft right now but nobody says they aren't buying them because of fear of catastrophic engine failures. A lot of reasons, but that's not one of them. If you understand the engineering failure of the IMS you know you should be pissed off that a company like Porsche even let that design for that bearing go into production. To save nickels and dimes maybe?

This is what was the turning point for me from Porsche after a lifetime of P-car ownership. Porsche designs a car and immediately is seems the bean counters have to weigh in everything. Ferrari designs a car and send the bean counters to lunch and get to work building a car their philosophy has dictated for decades. They don' always get everything right, but their intention is not to make silly compromises that will tarnish their image or their product. Rant over. ;)