So you wanted stripes on your F8 | FerrariChat

So you wanted stripes on your F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jcmd, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    I was told that the stripes on the 488 Pista are not painted on and can be removed and replaced if desired. It used to be a sin of sorts to have stripes put on a F; since the times are obviously changing, one considers how stripes can enhance the visual enjoyment of the exterior. Since there are practically no true life examples to see, one must be creative to better judge if stripes are for them. I recently did a dry run , auditioning vinyl colors , cutting them and laying them on the car for a few days just to see if it works on the F8. I think it does. Waiting a week till i pull the trigger.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok, IloveGT, Andynyc and 4 others like this.
  2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Do whatever you like!

Melvok, 350MH83 and Gh21631 like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Honestly, I wouldn't go with the McDonalds theme if it was my car. Maybe try another color. Also, Pista stripes ARE painted.

Melvok, pnd4pnd, blkdiablo33 and 18 others like this.
  4. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    crinoid and Gh21631 like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Double yellow stripes, yellow shield, yellow center cap annnd yellow caliper on bright red? :eek: Yeah, sorry, that screams McDonald's. :D Would you like fries with that? :)

Beautiful car! Don't mess it up. ;) (of course it's your car, do what you want)

6. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  7. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    Another “McDonalds “ Pista. Ie messed up car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dustman, Ash Patel and Andynyc like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Alexcle, 350MH83, Robb and 2 others like this.
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Well both look to be a darker shade red and the bottom has black center stripe.

Are you a Seinfeld fan? There's an episode where Elaine breaks up with a guy, who then casually says: "ok, see ya around big head". That's stuck with her and almost ruined her. Couldn't get it out of her head.
    Same here. Even if you love the stripes, in the back of your head, you'll always be wondering: McDonald's? :p

Again, stripes or no stripes Beautiful car! :)
    Jump to 2:25

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ItalianOne, Condor Man and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What gets them over the line is that they really are Pista's and therefore look right regardless. The larger wider dip in the hood, the wider opening in the lower splitter, the matching harnesses and particularly the one with the central black stripe look fine because it all just works in harmony with the design on the car as Ferrari intended.

The problem with the F8 is the narrow profile on the hood and the narrow opening of front splitter along with the fact it's just not a Pista which draws attention to that fact even more once Pista type stripe themes are applied to it. It is what it is.

BJK and Gh21631 like this.
  12. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Do what you like, but there is nothing ever ever good about anything labeled “McDonalds.”

BJK likes this.
  14. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    Must be the vintage Matchbox from 1983.. Hate McDonalds but red and yellow obviously works for their logo...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Strips work on this car for sure IMHO

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #17 BJK, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    it is unfair using Pista pics :oops:

Dang, not bad at all! :cool: So, how about same, but with light silver instead of white? (to be a little different and keep the blue center)

Jcmd likes this.
  17. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    The more gentle bonnet slope vs Pista looks better(Less abrupt) , The flared exit of the s duct looks more inharmony. bottom strip is reduced by a third to fit the 26 cm s duct intake. Not too strange. The black central stripe for me mAkes it a single bi color stripe. Body color central gap, makes it a two stripe deal. I like stripes vs A stripe.

18. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ^^^ no stripe on splitter. those stripes are too wide for it compared to this: (from 'soshry 'above)

[​IMG]

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #21 Shadowfax, Aug 27, 2020
    The main thing is you like it after-all its your car but it does draw attention to the fact it's not a Pista and is trying a bit too hard when it need not do. There is no escaping that fact. That's just the way it is and it will draw a varienty of comment - some positive, some negative......probably more negative than positive i would suspect.

I also prefer the forged star wheel on the F8 as it to me it looks bigger and seems to suit the design better than the stock 5 spoke which give a smaller wheel look. This design really needs to be a 21 or 22 to work on the body imo but then that messes with the suspension and ride. I would personally look for a wheel with the Pista multispoke as that clearly works - as seen on the white Novitec car.

I think the photo here looks a bit more acceptable as the stripes look the correct width but again its a situation which where the theme can't continue into the spoiler outlet due to being too narrow in that area and looking pinched like what Im seeing on the other F8 striped examples. Its a case where you cant have it both ways Im afraid. Personally I prefer the wider looking 3 stripe combo which does not feed through the lower front splitter as it goes better on the hood, roof and rear. The narrow 2 and 3 stripes look odd as if somethings wrong and really draw attention to something not being right on the car as well. Just my two cents - take it with a grain of salt if you like, but it is what it is and its hard not to see that.

Melvok likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #22 Shadowfax, Aug 27, 2020
    I think as the objective is clearly to copy the Pista the wider theme definitely passes it off better. Squeezing the stripes out through the s duct look odd and complicate the lower spoiler/bar because visually they looked squeezed through an opening which is clearly not wide enough. It just doesn't look right at all. The design of the bar suits having no stripes feeding through imo...and looks better without. On this car I wouldn't get too caught up trying to force the stripes through the S duct - not necessary, and going by that pic is visually an improvement without.

Also looking at your car I think whats also really helped it is leaving the black on the bonnet rather than coloring it to the body like the other red F8. That mono color red hood really works against having stripes and looks really weird. It's made the hood look too long and works against the feature of the S duct. It's also made the black windscreen look shorter. I can now see exactly why Ferrari left that area black.

Melvok likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Do a single white stripe on the red F8. Double stripe screams Pista and it’s too big for the smaller a duct.

Melvok and Shadowfax like this.
  23. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    you are right. ferrari should have widened that s duct intake.. but aerodynamically it may or will affect the effect. For me the Pista s duct system is the weird looking one.

24. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    This wide angle shot does make it look so, its an optical illusion. Cars with stripes are tricky to photograph. Better use a 50 mm or at most a 35 mm focal length lens.