SoCal Service | FerrariChat

SoCal Service

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by rc-5juan, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rc-5juan

rc-5juan Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Fullerton
    Just picked up my first Ferrari and am obviously super excited. Curious if there is a general consensus as to the best factory service in Southern California? I am in North OC, but obviously willing to travel outside of Orange County if there is a friendlier option with relation to loaner vehicles, service time, etc. I still have factory bumper-to-bumper warranty and maintenance for several years.

Attached Files:

Cicada likes this.
  2. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congrats on ride. Newport Beach and Southbay both have been fine experiences for me, but limited. outside of factory, I go to Fastcars Ltd in Redondo. Where did you buy the new ride from? Looks great.

kane00 likes this.
  3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    There are a number of prior threads on this. For non factory you will find that the majority recommend either Craig at Fast Cars in Redondo Beach or Randy at RMT in Yorba Linda. I have used Randy for the last 4 years and I am very pleased.

4. rc-5juan

rc-5juan Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Fullerton
    Thanks for the recs. I'll do some searching as well. Picked this car up in Palm Beach.

5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Good luck. One of the issues with out of state cars is passing CA smog. I know, it took a year to get my car done and I bought it from the Lambo dealer in Palm Beach. Hopefully you dont have such issues.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FNA cars are 50 state, so smog should not be an issue. Curious if your car was altered.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hey Scott, been a while!
    Agree with both NPB and South Bay

Sent from my 16M

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    CLS
    My car was pristine smog wise. When I bought it I actually had PPIs from TWO different Florida Ferrari dealers and nothing had been altered (at that point even the exhaust baffles had not been opened).

The problem is how CA administers smog. It is now all electronic. They hook the smog computer to your car’s computer. Often there are technical computer issues where all the smog check lights dont tick over. All states other than CA allow at least one light not to tick over and still pass smog. As of about 6 years ago CA started requiring ALL lights to tick over. Many models of Ferrari have known computer issues with respect to the secondary air monitor and getting it to tick over. I even got a letter from Ferrari of Newport Beach saying “No Known Cure”. California doesn't care. You can appeal and they do a tailpipe test. If your car passes the tailpipe test (mine did) then they give you a one time exemption and say essentially you have to get your car’s computer system fixed (at which point your local Ferrari dealer is no longer interested in helping you and you have to go to people like Rod Drew at Francochamps, Craig at Fast Cars or Randy at RMT and spend lots of $).

So the moral of the story is, be careful. If you buy a car out of state, even if that car passes that state’s smog requirements, it may not pass CAs smog requirements and you can spend 1000’s getting your car to smog.

Mirek likes this.
  9. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Fast Cars in Redondo is awesome. They take care of mine and have the awards to show it. Great service

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Spot on :

”Many models of Ferrari have known computer issues with respect to the secondary air monitor and getting it to tick over. I even got a letter from Ferrari of Newport Beach saying “No Known Cure”. California doesn't care.”

I just bought a 2003 456M out of Arizona, it has never been smogged “officially” but the above is where I would be at if I “needed” to SMOG it. Oddly, the dealer just sent me California plates, tags and registration yesterday....... somehow (?!?)

Otherwise I would just take it to my guy and have it passed, but yea Blackhorse Motorsports told me they all ticked over except the secondary air monitor. Seems like that is the deal with these.

11. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ed, how are things? You still in the rancho cucamonga area? When's the next time you out this way? Hope all is well. i'm pretty happy with my new 458. it looks so pretty in the garage, and sounds great.

12. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    I like CNC myself. Casey is the man

Mmckee likes this.
  13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    R2 in Santa Clarita has a great reputation. Rafi, one of the owners, was a dealership mechanic that opened his own shop.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ll second that. I’ve used them for the last 4 years & I’ve gotten good work at a good price. I figured if they worked on the multi-million dollar cars in their inventory, they can handle mine.