Sold a car to a relative and it broke... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold a car to a relative and it broke...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by James-NZ, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    simple really, the driver thought it was an auto/manual F1 type and didnt take it out of 1st gear for 400km

2. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Fraser's send a lot of car bits back n forth. I think their complete kit is about a grand to get across.
    A boxed up transmission couldn't be much above two hundred I'd guess.

3. supersqualo

supersqualo Karting

May 19, 2009
    Western Australia
    just to finish it off lend them some money as well

oh and sleep with your Brothers wife, that should do it!!!!

4. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

or sleep with her mother

5. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    James, I'd be confident that low mileage 'boxes would be available in Oz - there are plenty of Polo GTis around here. If the box has been run out of oil, virtually everything that moves will need replacement. One curious thing though, if the bottom of the car was wet with oil, some would get on the exhaust, I'd imagine - what about smell/smoke as an early warning?

Selling cars to friends/relatives always ends in tears, for me anyway- I refuse to recommend cars to friends/relatives - If pressed, the standard answer is "buy a Toyota".

6. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    You could be surprised. Some women will reason your money is theirs, so why should their relatives get any.

7. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    yeah one of those prius things, then the battery goes and you have to buy shares in duracell to keep it on the road

tell me about it

8. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    So to summarise...

I need to get a more clear diagnosis of why the gearbox oil came out.

Can anyone recommend a parts supplier in oz that might have a gearbox, this would be greatly appreciated.

If it's got tits tyres or propellers it's gona cost you money....

9. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

http://www.partslocator.com.au

10. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    I could be wrong but i dont reckon they sold a GTi polo in Aust

11. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Good advice, although I have owned Toyotas that have failed, more that have not but even they can play up...

I wondered about the exhaust smoke smell etc, as the exhaust is wet and gear oil is not a pretty smell. In fact that is why I looked under the car, I could smell gear oil....

Any advice on a parts supplier would be great. :)

12. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Yup, still listed as a current model - mates wife has one.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd give him his money back and take the car back ... end of future problems right there and then. Relative can then go and buy something themselves and thus there is no future "now this has broken James ...".

Then chuck in a second hand gearbox and flick the car.

Everybody happy.
    Pete

14. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Brookvale Spares, Sydney - ph 1300 049 103. I just called them, may have a 'box, depending on year etc...

Failing that, google is your friend... if you end up sourcing something in Sydney north, happy to assist..

15. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    I think you're doing a good thing James. While I don't think you're responsible, i think any sort of contribution is best for everyone.

A similar thing recently happened to me when a car i bought passed muster on the PPI, everything was clean as a whistle and i had no reason to suspect anything would go wrong. Half an hour into the drive home a coolant hose in the back on the engine split and the car had to be towed home. Now, I bought this car from canberra and had to travel 400km or so back to sydney so i got stranded in goulburn for the night.

The seller and mechanic didn't want to know about it and I'm only starting to enjoy the car now after having all repairs completed, having bought it over 2 months ago.

If i was given some sort of assistance, it would've made it that much better of a buying experience, so i think your a champ for at least trying to help out.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    They didn't start selling the Polo GTi here in oz till 2005. The current model GTi uses a different engine to the 2001 model so maybe a different gearbox too...

Seems google isn't your friend :p :eek:

17. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Yep. Only '05 and '06 for sale on carsales.

18. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Ok, I didn't see the 2001 bit..... maybe the gearbox is the same as a Golf of the same vintage? That should be easy enough to get.

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    at the end of the day.........throw a chair on his head, there is more to this than meets the eye..........transmissions just dont blow up and do stupid things like haemorrage everywhere for no reason............unless of course Phil had something to do with it

20. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    maybe ff took it for a test drive first you know the one where he redlines it a couple of times............poor gearbox :(:(

ya man do a little investigating and find out what happened to the gearbox ....

21. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    OK, to clear this point, I don't care why the gearbox failed, even if it was the driver at fault that will not remove my connection to the family and there fore I will be contributing towards the repair, at a rate no grater than 50/50. I have not yet told the owner this. This is the best option as I would like things to be agreeable for everyone concerned.

Thanks Dave for the ph number, I'll give them a call tomorrow with the gearbox code (code is FFW if anyone wants to know)

I logged into that partslocator website and posted a question, hope to hear back....thanks goober.

I have decided I will collect the car and remove the gearbox myself, done a few FWD gearboxes in my time so this shouldn't pose a problem and my labour is cheap when compared to the VW experts. As far as the diagnosis of the gearbox, that will be left to the experts, although if a hole in the box is apparent then that might change things....

I would still think that a replacement second hand gearbox will be the best option for everyone.

22. Tom Selek

Tom Selek Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    1500klms from Jim
    Put a top loader in there.

23. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

mated to a 9 inch rear end

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You are a GOOD guy James!! A really good guy!! :D:D

But I wouldnt do anything to help him out. :):)

You do not have any obligation to do anything. You sold him a car cheap and it blew up two days later. :):)

Bah, thats life. Get on with it! :D:D

P.S-Did I say you're a good guy? ;);)

25. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    You'd like to be what? :eek: