Sold a car to a relative and it broke... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sold a car to a relative and it broke...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by James-NZ, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah the way Greeks work, your uncle would give your dad a hard time and he would pay for it :p

2. Tom Selek

Tom Selek Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    1500klms from Jim
    Just put some Humus on it , it fixes everything.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    so how much are those batteries anyway? and how many have had to be replaced so far, and at what mileage/age?

4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol....so you guys DO pay attention!

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I didn't ... and paid the price :(

6. 993TT s

993TT s Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    I meant to ring you.........can I have a job?

7. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

it shows

:)

8. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Got a response from the "partslocator" website, Gray from a shop in Victoria called "Wolfsburg Automotive/Audisport" has responded saying he has a reconditioned gearbox avalable to suit and it's $1200 exchange, I have emailed him to confirm the gearbox code and then we will look at shipping it.

Anyone got a ball park on shipping costs?? $200ish?

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Still say best long term action is to take the car back and put a second hand g/box in and flick it ... probably cheaper for you as you will be able to sell it for more than you did to the relative.

Next you will be on 24x7 call out for this dude.
    Pete

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I couldn't agree more , this is good advice. This is the cleanest, least hassle way to proceed, and you can take your time to find a gearbox at the right price.
    If he has already destroyed one gearbox in only 400km's , how long is the next one gunna last ? And then there is the clutch. You will be in the gun for anything that fails on this car, FOR EVER with this bloke.

M

11. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    especially if you are gunna marry into the clan............good advice, otherwise you will be reminded about it

12. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Part of why I was interested in how the box failed was its implications for clutch and motor top end.
    Recently I was astonished to discover two adult relatives had no idea what their tachos indicated. They've driven for years with no thought about engine revs or what that dial was for and these guys drove manuals!
    Not wanting to wish anything worse into your mix but the box may not be the end of it, depending on how it all occurred.

There's some sense in what the guys are suggesting. Take the hit but get off the hook.

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Wise words IMHO.

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I wouldnt do anything for him. :D:D

Car comes with concrete warranty. ;);)

But IF I were to do something, then I would follow your advice Pete. :):)

+4! :eek::eek:

15. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    OK, this sounds like a reasonable idea, but what about the broken gearbox? The car had no problems when I sold it, if I take it back am I wearing the cost of a replacement gearbox? Or would I ask that he contribute to the repairs?

Sounds clean on the face of it but I think taking the car back is just as messy. I would then have to withhold some of the money he gave me for the car, to cover part of the repair cost. Then I didn't give him a full refund, or if I do give a full refund I am out of pocket $2k+ for a broken gearbox that I am not responsable for.

It might just be the best way though, I can recover some of the gearbox cost in the "retail" price for the car, this could work.

16. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    NO NO NO - if you go down this route you take it back and give him back the money he gave you. You just have to suck up the repair bill and hope that selling it on the open market gets you a better price than you sold it to him for (making up some of the repair cost).

Doing it this way will remove all doubt as to you being a great bloke and there can be no comebacks.

17. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly, wise words. Don't bother chasing him for a co-contribution.
    Give him back all his money, and sort the car out at your convenience, then flick it.

BTW, you do of course realise that no matter what you, it will look bad - here's the reasoning.

You sold him the car cheap - because you knew it was gunna fail, and
    You refunded his money without any drama, because you had a guilty conscience, because you knew it was gunna fail

Or you offered to pay 1/2 ( or whatever) of the repair, because you sold him a dud car and knew it was gunna fail and had a guilty conscience about it.

The fact that he possibly contributed to the destruction of the gearbox, didn't notice the smell of burning oil, the noises from the gearbox and whatever other signs of impending disaster while he drove for 400k's will be convienientluy forgotten, because you sold him a dud car.

M

18. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    my four F's of business

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've done plenty of business with friends over the years. Never had a problem. There's no point generalising.

20. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

then what happened to phil?

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Exactly.

Unfortunately you are taking a hit which ever way ... either with half the cost of repairs or the full cost (which as Aedo says you might get some back when you sell).

Some people are car destroyers ... a perfectly reliable car just falls to bits around them. I also made the mistake of getting involved with helping a friend and my sisters purchase cars, of course they turned out to be pieces of cr@p. I've now gone so far that if somebody asks me I deliberately steer them away from cars I am considered an enthusiast over ... otherwise it will be "Pete knows about those ..."
    Pete

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol...that's one person i'm very happy to say was never a friend. what a loser.

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Tell us what you really think!! :p:p

24. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I didn't think you had any.

Oh I see, thats why you've had no problems.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol

shaddap.....i'd have save YOU a fortune!