sold my modern ferrari - considering a 330 GT. Any advice? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

sold my modern ferrari - considering a 330 GT. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Matt Andrews, Nov 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    No the poor taste is the people whom chop up cars and the ones whom buy them.

2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Agreed, the serious poor taste is in the choping and in the buying. Jokes are just jokes.

3. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Greg is like me ,just so over people doing this to these old cars.
    I'd like a 250PF or a 250GTE as a club/rally car.
    Try finding a RHD one.

4. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have owned and tremendously enjoyed a GTE, did tons of work (mostly myself) and spent much money, only to see it on Ebay minus its engine a year after I had sold it.

I now have endless fun with my PF. Good luck on your search for a RHD. Regardless of a car´s values or characterisitics, the 250 Colombo, especially with inner plugs, is the sweetest and best sounding engine of the lot.

I apologize for reacting so strongly to your joke; I just can't abide fakers in general, and Ferrari fakers in particular.

5. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Your fine,I would be the same if I saw a car i put much love/effort into then see it on Ebay rapped of its heart.
    Like that one that was on Ebay a few months ago (light blue) looked a good car with no motor or gearbox.

6. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    That light blue GTE was 3787, my first Ferrari love. She taught me everything about Ferraris, and a few things about myself.

Because I made the mistake (sin?) of selling her, she fell into the hands of the barbarians.

I shall never forgive myself.

7. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    i remember the thread,at time i posted what a great rally car that would have been.
    Lets hope she finds a motor.
    So where did the motor end up?

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    A well known and respected Fchat member knows exactly where the motor ended up (and for what price). I don't.

9. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    enough said.
    a few years ago 2 x lhd 250PF which were full resto jobs were sold in Melbourne and chopped into TR's.
    That 330GT Classic Throttle Shop have for sale if sold in Australia will not be chopped up,we don't have that market.
    i've been looking for RHD car,down here there in short supply,most owners a long term.

10. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Hey Julio, piss off. There's no need to be inflammatory on a board like this.

I just chose NOT to spend my time and money on a serial number and instead bought a REAL Ferrari that someone had the good sense to refit with a better looking body.

At least I have the balls to drive what I want instead of settling for GT PF and then listing California on my "Wanted Cars" list -- kinda seems like you're the poser for thinking the S/N means more than the actual car.

11. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    All the "purists" on this board should realize that the true heart and soul of a Ferrari is the engine and the gorgeous bodies, not the S/N nameplate (unless you're simply an investor).

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #62 Julio Batista, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    You brag about destroying a Ferrari to build a fake, and then you accuse others of being inflammatory? A part from being a faker, you are also a hypocrite.

A Ferrari refitted with a "better looking body" is a fake. Serial numbers, to which I am absolutely indifferent, have absolutely no bearing on the question. Nice try at a distracting from the issue.

And then of course, you get personal. I have not "settled" for a PF; It's it's been in my family, unmolested by a faker, for more than 50 years, and it was fitted with an LM engine originally on Enzo's PF. You see, Enzo sold it to my father in Maranello, during the happy days where people like yourself would not have been allowed to cross the factory door.

If I make enough money, I will buy a California. A real one. That´s why it´s on my wanted list. Unlike you, I don't have the dishonesty to build a fake California and destroy a 365 in the process. Who's the poseur?

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Hey Mike, I can understand you're a bit upset but Julio and his family have been buying and driving original Ferraris since the late '50ies, early '60ies so a poser is definitely not the right label. All his Ferraris are real and original, without any rebodying. So don't think this is some 16 year old kid who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I salute the people that keep and drive their cars in their original state. I have the money to buy something like you own, or anything below a Lusso. But as I have grown to know (a little) and love (a lot) these vintage Ferraris I have found that an original 330GT or 250PF or 250GTE is infinitely more beautiful than a chopped one. A lot has to do with the fact that these fake bodies are 99 out of 100 shockingly bad in terms of their proportions. They hardly ever look like the real deal. But mostly, it is because the way they were built is the way they were supposed to be. And I have a feeling that you and I have less idea about how they were supposed to be than someone like Julio.

I used to be where you are - I was quite intrigued by the idea of a fake 250TR two years ago. But it was due to my ignorance. I think, if you really spend time getting to know these cars, that over the years you will change your mind. Obviously, you will deny that vehemently right now. That's fine. I hope you enjoy your car and keep an open mind. And you might just find that your last post is not the truth. Ferraris are more than an engine and a (fake) body. So much more.

Kind regards,

Onno

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "A guilty hand always betrays itself"
    One reason the fakes never look right?

15. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Get a life Julio. Yes, I can still hear the cries of that dying 365GT2+2 pig as I cut it up with my chainsaw! It's a piece of metal you bonehead! It doesn't care what happened to it.

You must be a real old fart with an axe to grind judging from how you respond people on such a cool site.

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    It's a perfectly cool site that I have known well for many years. One of its problems is the occasional presence of vulgar people like yourself.

17. onyxco

onyxco Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Can this thread be restored back to it's original sanity!?
    I think the member that started the thread has left the building.

18. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    No, he's just old school waxing nostalgic about how wonderful Ferrari was during the heyday. He's just an overpriced "excutive search consultant" who inherited his father's car/hobby. He's probably as irate at the current Ferrari management for using a "fake" California Spyder in their factory display (which is kinda funny when think about it).

"Getting to know these cars" makes it sounds like I have to earn a date with it first. It's a gorgeous body with a wonderful engine. The rest are just parts. I know, I've been underneath two vintage Ferraris with bloody knuckles and grease from head to toe. I've pulled two engines out, learned a ton from my old school Ferrari mechanic when I watched him rebuild the engines. I've tinkered and toyed with my current car so much that I wouldn't hate to "get to know it any better".

Well Onno, I guess I COULD buy an original and experience the show/judging circuit. But I've witnessed the politics (I know one of the judges) and have seen these "purists" that trailer their cars and pay others to unload and wax them -- I'm 41 years old and don't have to prove anything to anyone, so that scene just doesn't suit me.

The point is, that everyone who sees the car and understands my passion knows that this is not a "fake" in that sense of the word. I know the former owner of Ferrari of Atlanta from it's glory days (and owner of several rare originals) and even he is very encouraging of others to buy whatever Ferrari (rebody or otherwise) suits their fancy.

This is the whole point of my post, to show others that blowhards like Julio who judge from afar are the worst form of Ferrari enthusiasts -- they try to make others believe they have to live up to their "standards" of perfection. If you take the Ferrari badge off the car, then it really is just a lot of pieces with a wonderful body and engine.

- mike

PS. If I'm missing some other aspect of "Ferrari Ownership", please enlighten me (other than racing for which I have too many kids that I want to see into adulthood :)

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with that!

But I can't help but chime in. I have a nice driving 330 2+2, not perfect, but fully functional, similar to what Matt, the OP, is looking for. I highly recommend the 4 liter Columbo engined cars. I have a Series II, and I love the power steering, A/C, engine sound and so on. It really feels fairly modern today; it must have been a absolute revelation in 1967.

Having said all that, I don't understand the upset about rebodied cars. I think Mike's attitude is definitely gruff, if not crass, but I think he has a point. He's tooling around in a wonderful car with much more money left over than had he bought a real California. And I honestly can't say that the difference is worth it.

Besides, many Testa Rossas have already been restored to the point that they are essentially rebodied, and nothing like the way they were when they left the factory. In some ways, that's more of a shame, to me, by slightly revising history to make it seem better than it ever was, as compared to taking a four seater and making a tribute to an otherwise unobtainable car.

I may very well buy a rebodied car some day. And park it next to my 330 2+2.

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you Onno,

It will be a pleasure for me to meet you again at the Mille Miglia next year. Some people thankfully only exist on the internet.

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Getting personal, eh? That's what envy will do to you... By the way, make that father's cars, not car.

As far as me being professionally overpriced, rest assured that you couldn't afford me.

22. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Certainly. Let's talk about Ferraris.

23. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Whatever. You're just a broker -- an executive wannabe. I've hired and fired guys like you. Go play with your father's car(s) and grow up.

24. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #74 Julio Batista, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    Whatever. Your car is still a fake. And from now on you can spare your breath; the ignore function has at last come into play. Bye!

25. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Fine, you call it a fake, I call it a rebody - I've never told anyone otherwise. One thing is indisputable though, with the 365's 4.4 liter V-12, 5 speed and IRS and an all aluminum body by Allegretti of Italy, the car is a blast to drive and looks incredible.