348 - SOLENOID VALVE function? | FerrariChat

348 SOLENOID VALVE function?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The valves PART NUMBER: 111704 shown as #16 in the diagram, U understand they send cool air in after exhaust to burn more clean when cold, but do they affect idle when engine cold at all, perhaps the ecu sees too rich and pulls fuel etc?

Attached Files:

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you're adding extra air in the exhaust stream before the 02 sensor, wouldn't the O2 sensor detect lean, not rich?

But anyway, as I understand it, during warm-up, the engine will be running in "open loop"

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/code-numbers-from-scanning.577385/page-2#post-146023946

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What I mean is if the selonoids are NOT working there would be no extra air and with the engine not at operating temps it would see rich condition is my theory. So the selonoids working adds air till the combustion is more optimal to prevent rich condition. That's why they stop when engine is warm. Again I'm reasoning here is all hence the question trying to understand. We know what it does but not why and what happens if they fail.

Trying to track down a weird cold start idle surge and hunt phenomenon that happens most of the time but not always.

Open loop when cold? So I can plug in a wide band there and not throw a cel and adjust each sides MAF?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, no idea. I'll let the experts answer that. The window of opportunity may be insufficient unless you can fool the engine that it's still cold (false coolant temp sensor signal? (6k ohm resisitor = 0 degrees C) However, the 2.5 manual also mentions an "enrichment factor" during warm up. Different ECU maps will be used when the car has been warmed up. You may be opening up a bag of worms.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The air injection (suction actually) into the exhaust manifold is just an emission thing. It probably coincides with the open loop operation which occurs during a couple of minutes from the start of a cold engine. This is the time when the air into the exhaust is enabled. I believe that the control is such that, from cold, the ECU switches into the open loop mode and switches the air on. At the point of the UCU switch to the closed loop (starts looking at the O2 sensor), the ECU probably also switches the air off. During the open loop, the ECU is not referring to the feedback from the O2 sensor so, if the air to the exhaust manifold is cut-off, there will be no ECU seeing "rich condition" (too much hydrocarbons thus too little oxygen, actually) in the exhaust and will not throw any codes or CELs.

I have read here that some people have completely removed the air "injection" system and plugged the holes in the exhaust manifold with no problem at all.

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great thanks, so the weird cold engine bog to surge binary search thing my car does periodically is not related to the solenoids although I bought 2 since they were on my list of replaceable items.