SOLVING LOW IDLE | Page 5 | FerrariChat

SOLVING LOW IDLE

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    How the hell could a pro shop familiar with these carbs screw this up so bad and still run good?

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah but at this point you need to get to a good starting point.

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Status? Did you give up on the whole thing and buy a Tesla? ;-)

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thinking about it. I tried again and there is no increase in rpms even at 7 turns out. I decided to put it back to the turns I had written down. Decided to check timing. It’s jumping all over the place. But it idles steady. Total mess

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That is what you want, that means that you were close to the ideal mixture IF you had disconnect all of the connecting rods, making it richer DOES NOT increase idle speed if you are at the right mixture. But that only works if timing is solid. So you are back to where you started with everything. Gotta lock down the timing first. Isn't this fun!! o_O

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not fun. I thought to myself there is no way the mixture is perfect.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    New cars temporarily solve carb issues in other cars. I’m intrigued by the electric carbs In The Tesla ,wink wink

Saabguy likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Let it b known to all DIYers that trying to set timing with spark plugs that have had the mixture screws twisted full on and full off for a week will give you jumpy timing marks. !

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Both banks as close as possible to 7 degrees!

Saabguy likes this.
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok so haven’t worked on it in a while. Since my wife decided to redo my boys room. Which turned into redoing the entire second floor. I’m gonna try and redo the entire process today now that the timing is set

11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    It's always good to get away and take a fresh look at things , well ok, most of the time. ;-)

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yup

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well decided to install new caps and rotors. And they won’t seat. I’ve been avoiding buying new caps and rotors for like 10 yrs cause of the horror stories I’ve read about here. So I finally broke down and ordered them last month. And they ended up being a waste of time. Put the old magnettis back on and I’ll redo the carbs tomorrow SOB!

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cable pulled to 1500rpm. All carbs at 7kg. Loosened cable to 1k set stops. Slacked cable idle at 1k. All carbs with all air bleeds closed exactly 5kg. Doesn’t look like it’s gonna go lower.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Drove her to the Geneva Concours on Sunday. Idled well. There is some gurgling lean in the 3kto 3400 rpm range. But ran good. So what is the importance of having close to 3.5 kgh?

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Anyone explain, the need for the low kgh????????????????

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's not a "need" -- it's the usual barrel airflow rate on a carbed 308 that is obtained IF all of the cylinders are actually contributing at idle. At ~5 Kg/hr and 1000 RPM, either:

1. not all cylinders are contributing (running) at idle, or

2. your Synchrometer is not calibrated.

You have to be a little careful to do this (so do at your own risk), but, if you unplug each spark plug one at a time, the RPM should drop a little, and you should "hear" the miss of that cylinder. If you unplug a spark plug and nothing changes = that cylinder is not actually contributing at idle.

Saabguy likes this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I get it. I’m gonna fool with it this weekend. But when I tried pulling wires earlier. Rpms drops were barely noticeable.