Some 328 Questions: | FerrariChat

Some 328 Questions:

Discussion in '308/328' started by battman, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello All,

Wondering if I can get some questions answered on the 328:

1) Can someone please elaborate on the 15k service tune ups on a 328 vs. a belt job? I often see these two items listed as selling points and just want to understand what each entails. I don't need all the details, just a high level list for understanding.

2) I've seen some "Euro spec" 328's for sale. What are the differences between these and the US models? Typically they say "with releases"...what sort of issues should one expect when buying/titling a Euro car with releases?

3) Do CA 328's have less HP due to emmisions?

Thanks!

Battman

2. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Main difference between euro specs (swiss excluded) is in the exhaust system. No catalyst installed on the European spec, hence a little more power against a bit more of pollution...

3. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Compared to a US and euro version of the 328 there are a number of differences:

Smaller bumpers front and rear for a Euro car. US car had a cut out on the rear bumper to allow venting of the converter heat.

Different cams. Euro car has slightly more power.

Lower transfer gearing for the the Euro. Euro car tests about 1/2 second quicker to 60mph.

Make sure the car has the DOT releases. You can call Dick Merrit and DOT with the serial number to verify that it is legal. From what I've seen many Euro cars are returned to Euro running gear after having the paperwork passed. If you live in an area where emmisions testing is required this could be a concern.

Euro car has turn signal indictor button lights on the front fenders ahead of the door line. Unfortunatly the US marker lights at each corner spoil the lines of the car. Someday I want to remove mine and fill the holes back in.

Different tool kit due to difference in belt part numbers.

Euro car will sell for slightly less $. Personally I prefer the euro car and own one.
    After the 328 - importing a 348/355 was very difficult.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Battman,
    The main costly item with a 15K service is the valve adjustment which is labor intensive. In addition there are the typical fluid and filter changes and other small points. This service usually costs 1500-2000 if nothing else is amiss. The timing belts are recommended every 30K or 5 years whichever comes first. They can be done separately, but are normally part of the complete service including valve adjustments, etc. A really good job will include a lot of stuff including water pump rebuild (lucky if they make 30K). Most shops figure 40 hours to do a complete job and 1000-1500 for parts. Most people can't get a clutch to get past 30K either, so add another 1500. or so for that. So, it's not unusal for someone to pay 7K at this point. All these things must be considered.

As for Euro cars, the small increase in power does not justify the usual hassles of getting these past emissions. Aside from cats, the cam timing is different and some markets use ignition ecu's that will never pass in the US. Replacing the cats with test pipes on US cars will yield most of the power gain and more noise. There are other downisdes. Parts specific to the original market can be very hard to find which leads some insurance companies to shy away or rate them higher. Some were stolen in Europe and made their way here. If found (which occasionally happens) the owner loses the car. The quality of the conversion work varies greatly and bad jobs can cause assorted problems. Many dealers won't sell them to the public for these reasons.

328's are among the best and most beautiful Ferrari has produced. Learn all you can and be patient. There are lots of good examples out there.

Dave