Some Katrina F-cars | FerrariChat

Some Katrina F-cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Wiseguy, Feb 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    #1 Wiseguy, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Brings a tear to my eye!

3. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    how much for the 308?

id but the 575 and make a race car out of it...

4. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    According to an article I read yesterday, there are thousands of water damaged cars from the storms that are now starting to make it to the marketplace. Buyer beware!!!

5. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Does that first pic of the 308 look right?

I'm sure it's a genuine wreck, it's just that.....I dunno. How did it get into that position on that mucky field without getting mud on the tires, or without leaving a tire track behind the fronts?

Sad to see regardless.

Neil

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I think a lot of those yards have forklifts or modified tractors with lifts so they can just pick up the car and place it where they want.

Not how I'd want my Ferrari moved but it works.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I'll give $50 for the 308!!!

8. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
  9. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Bob, I think all the other contestants over-bid. I bid "one dollar".........

10. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Poor babies :(

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    #11 FastLapp, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 575 and 355(pictured below) are supposedly at a junkyard in gulfport. I have been wanting to check this out for sometime but have not gotten around to it. Does anyone know what junkyard that is (well actually all of southern MS is now one big junkyard)? There are also a few other topics about this:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85184&highlight=Katrina
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82788&highlight=katrina

Its truly amazing, its been five months since the storm and we are still cleaning up what happenned in 24 hours. Some more Katrin victims:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Aren't the owners going to come and claim them?

13. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    Hmmmm, what's a better "investment"? A wrecked Ferrari or a flooded Ferrari?

14. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    sad to see. i would still claim them if they were mine. very sad to see.

15. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was in Mississippi in September and October doing disaster relief work. There was a big pasture--looked like maybe 80 acres--north of Gulfport filled with water-damaged vehicles. Many had the names of insurance companies whitewashed onto the windshields (such as "Allstate"). I believe all these cars had already been totaled by the insurance companies and were awaiting further disposition. The field was located north of I-10 and along U.S. 49 on the east side, near Lyman.

16. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    How much money (realistically) would it cost to get one of those running again?

Would a new engine have to be put in? Or could you have it shipped somewhere, have the engine and electronics worked on so that it was good to go?

Could be a worthwhile project for someone who doesn't have enough money to buy a new/used Ferrari (keep in mind I have no experience with restoring flooded/damaged cars, also if there are concerns about bacteria there HAS to be a way to de-contaminate the car).

17. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    at my dealership (not ferrari) in a car that has been flooded every module below the water line has to be replaced. along with that teh interior is completely ruined and has to be replaced, carpet, seats, dash, other trim. really these cars would be great to buy for suspension parts, rebuilding the motors and trannies. i do not think these cars would be good for anything other than parts or a full strip down and conversion to race. that water was pretty nasty, i cant imagine how bad they must smell..........i bet that yellow tr smells GREAT inside........

18. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    I NEED THAT FLOODED TR!!!!

19. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    The way cars are put together today, I'd wager it would cost significantly more than the cost of a brand new one to get it back in tip-top shape. Those are parts cars at best. The outside could probably be fixed and the motor could be pumped, but every electrical component would need to be replaced or rewired, the entire interior would have to be replaced, and the entire car would have to be torn down and gone over with a fine-toothed comb for potential frame damage due to rust or other factors. Those are just a few of the things which come to mind.

20. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    Biggest problem with the Katerina flood cars: Salt water flooding (a whole lot more toxic than fresh water) and the mold (truly toxic!).

You'd have a hazmat processing area to be able to even take these cars apart! Most of us have garages but this is whole different league!

21. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    A real shame. Nothing but parts now, and only non electrical, leather, or carpet at that.