Some of you just plain suck | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Some of you just plain suck

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimSchad, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    i forgot to mention

my previous user name was gagatep

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know some of you will slam me for saying this just as bad when I first brought up the idea of subscriptions, but right now I don't want subscriptions. I've decided just to pay for costs through more sponsors (which can then offer users more discounts) and next year you'll be able to buy FerrariChat.com shirts, hats, jackets, and etc..

However, this thread has sparked another idea we've talked about before. How about a special "Rossa Corsa" Members section. Membership requirements could be...

- At least one year proven good behavior on board.
    - At least a certain number of posts.
    - Voted on by current "Rossa Corsa" members.
    - $15 a year subscription.

The negatives to this in the past were we would divide the board up and dilute parts of it. I think now we're getting too crowded in areas and this division would actually be good. We're growing at 300-500 users a month, if you think it's crowded now, just wait a year. We wouldn't loose long time users like Jim, they could stay only in the club section (like anyone really would). Kinda like the ignore feature, everyone loves knowing it's there, but who actually uses it?

Just an idea, everyone knows I discuss things over and over and over and over before implementing.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    takes one to know one. :D

Rob "ass kicker" Lay

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What DID happen to Wayne Ausbrooks, et. al.?? His posts and shared information was an extremely enjoyable resource to this forum, which does seem to have gone away. Did Wayne not like the look and feel of the new software, is that what's keeping him away? Hope he returns.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Nope, we've discussed Wayne several times lately. He started a new company, had a kid, and basically just has reprioritized his time. He still visits, just not full throttle like he was. He actually helped me moderate on the old board, that's one reason he was so active.

6. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    This site was extremely helpful when I was looking for my car. I felt as if everyone really cared about my purchase. I've learned alot about my 328, and about Ferraris in general (from an owner's point of view), and have even had the chance to contribute based on my own experience, both on and off the site. I've even had the chance to meet some really great people who share the same passion I do. It continues to be a site that I visit everyday, but my number of posts has dropped off. I too find myself looking everything over, but responding less frequently.

7. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jim, althought I agree with you somewhat. I think this site is great!

I too am dissapointed that some of the die-hard ferrari gurus have moved on. They definitely had passion and a lot of know-how to share. Definitely they are missed.

However, I find that this chat site still has a LOT of great information only it's now mixed in with other interesting, entertaining and sometimes rediculous topics. Although the 'greens' of the world entice flames, wars and stupid responses to stupid posts, they are entertaining to anyone who cares to read them. If you don't like it, don't read it. The topics indicate who started them and what they are about so you can pass over those that don't interest you. I think the 'greens' are off-line sometimes, but surely entertaining.

Perhaps you have a case of 'train wreck'. You know you shouldn't look, but you're compelled to do so anyways.

I enjoy the 'off-topic' section because it gives me a chance to chat with people that I know already share one thing in common (love of f-cars).

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    [, and etc..

However, this thread has sparked another idea we've talked about before. How about a special "Rossa Corsa" Members section. Membership requirements could be...

- At least one year proven good behavior on board.
    - At least a certain number of posts.
    - Voted on by current "Rossa Corsa" members.
    - $15 a year subscription.

How about Ferrari ownership for a start or at least ownership of something other than a rice burner.

Frank ( owner of 2 Ferrari's and one rice burner) :)

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That's good to know -- mabye once he works through some of these things, he'll start spending more time here once again.

I should add that I for one derive a great deal of enjoyment from FerrariChat on a daily basis, and sure am glad it's around. Oh sure there are maybe a few losers here and there, but where are there NOT losers these days!? Hell you can find them anywhere -- at work, at school, at church, on the street, on FerrariChat, etc. But I've been on other forums, and still feel that overall caliber of folks on FerrariChat is way above that which I've experienced on other forums, and, again, I really find enjoyment and value from this site. Thanks Rob!

10. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I was going to suggest the same thing - I've seen a number of forums that have pay-to-play private forums that have great members and great discussions AND public boards that have decent discussions and some great members that just choose not to pay and of course, trolls and their discussions.

I suggest a pay-for-membership members-only forum.

edit - didn't see Rob's post - I don't know that I'd have any qualifications other than a strict code ethic and pay thru paypal or something automated. If someone gets outta hand - ban them and give them their money back - after all - it would be a private club..

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    This forum is nothing different than your favorite road for your Sunday drive. You will have moron's and idiots that give you the finger and cut you off. You also have nice people that will let you pass and give you a friendly waive. Just gotta go with the flow and enjoy the drive!

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks a great way to put it! DrTax

13. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I'll chime in her as an FChat long-time sponsor. I recently shared my views with Rob. There is no doubt in my mind that the demographics are changing. I used to spend some quality time talking on the phone to FChat people who were interested not just in Tubi but in Ferrari in general. Almost on a daily basis I was neglecting my main business of running a company to interesting Ferrari conversations. Nowadays and a for a few months now, those conversations have almost dried up and are down to "what's your lowest price ? " one-liners.

14. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    How much would the post count be? I just joined a few months ago. I was just curious. And about having to own a ferrari(posted by sparta49), my dad owns a ferrari would that count? Just wondering

-David

15. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    Hold on Martin, you may not like what Henry (Hanknum) said but don't forget that the board changed a few months ago and required special action to update the post count. I guess Henry did not feel like doing that or did not know about doing that but I can verify that he is a long time member of the board and has been and is a very valuable contributor.

Happy New Year to you and Marion.

Ron

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This raises a point: Is it possible to feed these statistics back to where the users can monitor our own postings?

I've been trying to keep a rough percentage of my postings to being "helpful" rather than just "gabbing", but I haven't been monitoring any numbers.

I'd like to think I contribute to technical, but I have to watch a tendency to run off at the mouth (or keyboard). ;)

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You can do a search for all posts by a username under Advanced Search. The stats you just have to kinda count by hand.

18. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Yeah, I knew I would get some responses to my posting, as I know Jim knew that he would get some responses. I've been on this forum for years and Ferrarilist before that. I used to post more but now I don't have as much time and I just choose not to, and sometimes I feel as Jim does. When I'm not interested in a thread I just skip it. I don't feel it is necessary to say everyone is an idiot and MY world is falling apart (it's like Clyde on the Ferrarilist). Ferrarichat is not Jim's, mine, or yours, it's everybodys. I think that Rob has done a great job with this site.

Jim can post whatever he wants and so can I. Only Rob can say who can and can't post. Jim posted what he wanted to say and so did I. That's all fine, it's when you start attacking people that I don't like. Keep in mind that Jim may be in the minority.

Wow, all this typing is making me kind of tired. Now I'm all the way up to 12 postings.

Happy New Year Everyone.

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Having a members only site AND the regular site would divide FChat. The members would never post on the regular site and, obviously, vice versa.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL - think of how tired DES must be. :)

I started FerrariChat.com because I had seen the benefits of online communities for my BMW and hobbies. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in a Ferrari community, so I created it. We started with 50 users and it was great, we have 3,300 users now and it's great, and at 10,000 users it will still be great. It can go back to 50 users and that would be OK. FerrariChat.com doesn't put food on my table, I just did it for me and it turned out thousands of others had the same needs I did.

I use to take it really personal when someone said something bad about FerrariChat.com. It still upsets me, but if I could ever master making 3,000 people happy all at once, then I'm in the wrong business. I could save the world from wars and fighting. ;)

I just keep on doing what I think will make the most people happy. 1% of the users will do 99% of the *****ing and 100% of the trolling. BTW, it's not the same users doing the *****ing AND trolling. :)

21. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I hope the sponsors cover any costs you incur and your time running this site, Rob, but the minute there is a membership fee that does put food on your table the chemistry of this site will change and not for the better. Personally if a fee would be useful to weed out the aholes with too much time on their hands then an idea would be to use that amount to hire a national or regional law firm(s) on retainer to help members whose v1's failed at a discount or lobby firm to get on some of the bs laws that affect ownership of these cars. Like a AAA.
    50 x 3300= 165,000

T

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, I have been involved in car boards for several euro and domestic brands over the years and every year, on every board, there has been a post just like yours Jim, so don't feel alone. Personally, I like this board and am learning who to listen to and who to ignore. But there is a lot of good info and certainly a lot of very helpful and informed owners here and as a prospective fcar owner, I really appreciate what I have learned so far and especially the personal contact (email and pm) from several very helpful and educated owners. Happy New Year to all, wise men and trolls alike! John

23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its threads like this that keep me coming back.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2109

I had dreams last night of cross pipes, center boxes, and rumbling V12s. Next to cars, computers is my second obsession and here I get to combine both and chat amongst my friends. I would pay for that service. I would pay even more if the riff raff could be totally eliminated, too. I spend most of my time posting in off topic but every kernel of knowledge I can gather, like the thread above, I tuck away in my memory.

We all get frustrated at certain people. Thats what the ignore lists are for and picking the good threads from the bad.

Sunny

24. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I like subscriptions because it is an auto-filter for trolls... there's sooo many free places for a troll to go play, they'll never pay to play... and if its just pay to post, then people can lurk all they want for free...

I do!! Makes me a much happier F-chatter. Eliminating the posts from a few key people makes all the difference in the world!

Brian

25. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

I find this board very informative for the most part. As one that is posting for the first time, but has reading for months...this type of thing happens on every board which has been mentioned by others.

Like a strain of the flu, they show up from time to time everywhere, but the sickness is usually the same with the end result being verbal diarrahia.