Some opinions needed please... 360vF430 | FerrariChat

Some opinions needed please... 360vF430

Discussion in '360/430' started by DrivnXcitment, May 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Fellow Fchatters,
    Yes I know there are a lot of 360 vs F430 threads out there, and I have read many of them, but I would like to pose a question to you all. I greatly value everyone's legit opinion. Smart-assery, while I love it, won't help me today. LOL

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either a 360 spider or a F430. Both cars have approx 12-13k miles and appear immaculate. Both cars are F-1 as the manual tranny is just a bit out of my budget, albeit preferred. So here is the question:

Would you get an 04 360 spider F-1 in resale red, no challenge grille out back?
    OR
    Would you get an 05 F430 coupe F-1 in a color other than red, no daytona seats?

My personal preferences are the 360 spider, but with the F430 at the same price point (for the 2 examples I am looking at) should I get the year newer car, with timing chains, that is a coupe vice spider and in a gorgeous color, but just not resale red??? Or should I go with the the older car, with timing belts, and older F-1 tech??

I find both cars visually stunning, but obviously worry more about repair cost for the 360 with F-1 pump/actuator issues, belts, mufflers and cats, and convertible top issues.
    Obv, the F430 is faster, has the ediff, better F-1 tech, etc.

These are my only 2 options so anything suggested outside of that won't help unless it is at a price point of around $91-95k.

Thanks in advance for all your help, suggestions, and opinions! Its great to be part of such a knowledgable and helpful forum!

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My only comment is get the car that you REALLY want.

Both can have issues, the 430 isn't immune with water pump and e-diff funkiness. The question is which of the cars will you still smile at if you have a $7000-10,000 repair bill.

I'd rather have a 430 coupe in F1 than a 360 F1 if I had to make the choice cause' improvement.. but I don't imagine blasting down the road with the top down and the wind in my hair. If I wanted that experience I'd do the 360. It's an emotional choice for you.

Oh and don't expect depreciation to end for either..

whatheheck likes this.
  3. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    F430 for sure. Not disrespecting 360 cause it's my 1st Ferrai. I just got my F430 Spider and it's way more car everything about it. Get PPI either or

4. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    In my opinion :

Looks : The 360 wins, it looks sportier and lower, especially with the rear challenge grill
    Power : Clearly the F430 wins, more torque too
    Transmission : If you are looking for F1, the F430 is much better, but for manual there are more 360 manual available and it is more fun
    Sound : The 360 sounds amazing at high rpm with valves open, the F430 has more bass sound, if you get 360 CS exhaust it gets even louder
    Maintenance : Both are expensive and have big repair bills if needed. The chains of the F430 require no expensive belt service of 360
    Color : Forget about the above and go with the color that you like. If you want attention, go for RED, otherwise any other color is fine
    Service records : Very important to have good service records for both, without them, run away, unless you get BIG discount and you are friends with a mechanic that can fix things cheaply
    Body : Spider is great if you live in warm climate and enjoy extra attention, otherwise Coupe has advantage of better stiffness, especially if you track the car

Whatever you choose, you will have a blast for sure !!

DrivnXcitment likes this.
  5. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks! I am enjoying these replies!! I live in Florida so warm climate is definitely my forte. I'm a single guy so attention isn't a bad thing at this point HAHA. Unfortunately F1 is my only option because it seems that a manual 360 is commanding about a 20k premium over an F1 car of the same year. 20k isn't worth it to my wallet. Nor can I swing an extra 20k for purchase price.

I don't plan to track the car, just drive it and enjoy with some spirited sprints from time to time.

MD355 likes this.
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If you're getting paddles get a F430.

As you've seen, there's about a $50-70k gap between a manual 360 and manual F430. Manual 360s have softened in the last year though.

7. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I went through this dilemma last year. I chose the 430 because I didn't want to worry about breaking belts and considered the 430 a bit more bullet proof. I also went with a 2007 instead of so many 2005s on the market. I figured Ferrari may have made some changes over those two years.

I wanted red badly but in the end, went with a different color with all the mods I wanted already installed.

I can always wrap the car later if I want but I've fallen in love with what I have.

It was a very hard decision as I could have gotten a great 360 for less.

I personally prefer the coupes... But maybe because I have less hair than I'd like to have. Actually, I think the coupes are sexier.

Steve

8. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    So you got your answer :

You should be looking for a 360 Spider F1 in Rosso Corsa !!

The ideal car for you !!

Hope you find it exactly as you want it !!! ;-)

9. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Steve,
    You are definitely right with respect to coupe sexiness! I love the lines of the coupes vs the lines of the spider with the top up, but once you drop the top, the spiders are so sexy and that wind feels nice lol.

10. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    will this be a long term keeper car or will you be looking to flip it in a few years?

If the latter, consider the depreciation (more on the F430 than the 360) and the color choice as I'm sure you've seen the recent posts on this subforum outlining the lengthier sale time and the lower offers on a non-resale red car.

11. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I will probably keep it around 3 years then sell it for a Tesla. I do have a 5 year old daughter who loves the look of both the 360 and the F430 lol.

12. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    First, decide whether you want a Spider vs coupe and proceed from there. The difference between a Spider and a coupe is more important than the difference between a 360 and an F430.

If you want to take your kid in the car, she'll almost certainly prefer a Spider. However, note you can't disable the passenger airbag in a 360.

Also, if you care about value, and it sounds like you do, forgot those low-mile garage queens. Find something that's been driven regularly and that has excellent service records. It'll have more little rock chips and maybe bolster wear, but it will probably have fewer expensive issues over time, if you actually intend to drive it. And you can always address minor aesthetic stuff at your leisure, if you care.

The money saved on a sorted "driver" vs a low-mile garage queen might get you into a 3-pedal car, which will almost certainly retain value better than F1 and cost less to maintain.

13. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Oh and while I have some people’s attention, can you put a forward facing car seat in a 360 or F430? Do they have the latch points or do you just have to use the seatbelt?

14. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    There's a latch point on the firewall behind the passenger seat on the 360.

I don't know about the 430 since I don't have one, but I don't see why it'd be in the 360 and not in the 430 so I'd assume that has one too

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    No LATCH in either.

But I believe with the F430 you can at least disable the passenger airbag.

16. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Please read your owner's manual, the 360 has bracket to latch and anchor the child seat

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I was thinking of the clips in the base of the seat, but that looks like ti would work in conjunction with the seatbelt to secure the car seat. I doubt many people have to think about that option HAHA.

Thanks for all these great inputs!! Please feel free to keep the thoughts coming! I'm aching to pull the trigger!

18. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Please don't patronize me. LATCH ("Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children") is a standardized child-seat attachment mechanism (called ISOFIX in Europe). The 360 doesn't have LATCH, which is what I know OP was asking about.

19. ferrari 4404

ferrari 4404 Rookie

Jun 15, 2014
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Kostas Liaskos
    I prefer f430 f1 even pink than a 360 it s newer car better car with chains better gearbox you feel like f1driver

20. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can either get a 6-speed and pay now or get an F1 and pay later...

LightGuy and RedTaxi like this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if f1 vs f1 the performance of the 430 vastly outweighs the looks of the 360.
    if it was 360 stick vs 430 f1 id go 360.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Seems I just wrote something like this on another thread recently. I have owned 3 360 (one a gearshift spider) and 2 430 (both coupes one gearshift), not many people can say that so I guess (I have also owned 466 cars) I can give you an opinion not many others can. What I am about to say will probably not go over well with everyone, but I am not the type to sugarcoat things and I say what I think. First that whole gearshift is great thing, gearshifts are great, but Ferrari gearshifts are not even in the top ten of gearshift cars I have owned. Don't get me wrong they are nice to drive but cars like the S2000, Miata, the Evora 400 (just to name a few) are far better gearshift cars. I never found the mechanism in the 360/430 to be very quick or precise. There is some mystic powder that gets put on them which makes everyone think they are the Holy Grail. If you must have a gearshift the 360's power band is better suited to it than the 430's is. I keep saying this but no one seems to get it because they want the badge rather than the better car. Sorry but this is another unfortunate fact (not surprisingly since one is a fairly new car the other is a 20 year old design), anyone looking for a 360 (unless it is a gearshift) should drive a 4C. It really is a better pure sports car. Okay back to the 360/430 choice, my latest 430 (which has Fabspeed headers, cats, and blankets) is a F1 and (I know I will be struck down by a lightning bolt for saying this) is a better car than my gearshift 430 was. The 4C still shifts faster (mine has a transmission tune that makes it shift 27% faster as well as an ECU tune and air box), but the 430 is still my favorite Ferrari (though I am probably going to be building a 488 coupe soon), and I plan to keep this one. OP I am not convinced Tesla (at least in the form it is today) will even be around in three years. Eventually you do need to make money in business. my twins are older now and I never put them in any of my sports cars when they were younger, and one thing they did not get from me is my interest in cars. I am an old gearhead (learned to drive on a three on a tree) and could probably still (though it would take me a lot longer than it used to) take apart a car a put it back together. When I bought my 360's a 430's new (ones I built), I never had issues with them, but now these cars are getting old, and while some people see no issues with cars with six previous owners I do. I see those cars as rental cars and people tend to not take care of things they don't plan to hold on to for awhile. So my opinion find a nice 430 (from a trusted seller there are a few sponsors here that can help or I can introduce you to my dealer), and if it costs you 10K more that you are thinking it is worth it. You do not want a car that has not been taken care of properly, because if you plan to keep it three years it could cost you more than you could imagine. Good luck.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Please note LATCH (acronym) does not readily mean "latch". I don't recall seeing many LATCH anchors in front seats personally. 2nd row absolutely. But not front seats.

24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    360m spider can be had for the price of a 430 f1. So smarten up and add it to your list. ;)

Otherwise, f1 to f1, 430 is superior. Not even a question.

25. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Please don’t flame, but corvettes do have LATCH points on their cars. I know because I have one and have used them, so I figured other sports car manufacturers would have them (but didn’t expect exotics to)