Some opinions needed please... 360vF430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Some opinions needed please... 360vF430

Discussion in '360/430' started by DrivnXcitment, May 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Wait for a 360 manual spyder or shop the nation.not just the local market. Personally I don't trust anything coming out of Florida.

2. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would generally go with the 360 Spider. I think the spider is such an enjoyable experience with the top down, and even with the top up I don't think you lose much to the coupe. Yes, the coupe shape is nicer, but you don't see that when you're driving it. Top down on a beautiful day, hard to beat.

On the other hand, red is my least favorite color on most cars, and in particular the 360/430 look absolutely awful in red to me (I know, I know). I would get virtually any other color.

Belts v. chains is probably the most over-rated issue in the history of Ferrari. Both are likely to have some issues over time, and changing belts every 3 years is really no big deal to virtually eliminate any risk. I wouldn't give that issue any thought whatsoever.

Bottom line - drive both and buy the one that puts the bigger smile on your face. If you don't know, keep looking.

DrivnXcitment likes this.
  3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I initially wanted a coupe due to stiffness, rollover valve access, cab malfuctions, lightness, waterproofing, look with the top up, less worries about tree gunk, more trackability, all sorts of things. I eventually expanded my search to Spiders too due to the limited availability of gated TDF blue cars and ended up with a Spider.

I have no regrets. Driving on highway 1, or just down the road to the winery with the top down listening to that 40V engine roar is IMHO one of the best experiences in life. Anyway my 911 is a coupe and if I ever get a 550 or an Aston that’d be a coupe too so whatever. Modena and Spider are both absolutely wonderful for their own merits.

4. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I really wanted mine to be red, but the 360 had no Challenge Grill, also something I really wanted. But the dealer found one and installed it, so I was good to go. Now mine is a manual, but I do hear it said very often that the F1 in the 430 is better.

5. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Ok, can everyone or anyone help me calm down please? LOL I'm shopping for my 360/F430 currently and I have been surfing here and the net hard for what I want. Reading all the threads about all the "weak links" of these cars just keep making me a bit apprehensive about them. I keep sweating the cracking headers, bad catalytic converters, alternator issues, warping dashes, bad convertible top mechanisms, F1 issues, etc, etc. While it won't break the bank to have to make A repair, and I'm very handy mechanically (have done most of my own work on all my other cars), I don't want to blow excessive cash on repairs to what is, lets face it, a toy.

Calm me down fellow fchatters, and tell me these are wonderfully fun cars and not money pits. Thanks!!

6. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Not everyone will experience every one of those issues you listed and even if you take the most diligent care of your car, it could just be dumb luck that one of the above issues happens.

Since you live in FL, the warping dash could be a huge issue but if you're keeping the car as a garage queen or you average very low miles a year, it might not be an issue since it really only happens when you leave the car out in the sun for the heat to dry up the leather and it pulls back and shrinks.

Cracked headers, bad cats, alternator issues....all of these can be checked with a thorough PPI and it is something that should definitely be done. After you buy it, it really could just be bad luck that these parts fail, but if you're looking for a F430, I would replace the headers if the stock ones (both the 1st and 2nd version ones) are still on the car. Replacing the stock headers with aftermarket ones will also eliminate the problematic pre-cat. The alternator wires can be checked during your annual fluid change since you do your own work.

Convertible top - buy a coupe and it won't be an issue!

F1 - I can't speak to that but there's a guy in FL that is apparently the guru at fixing these (GTE Engineering)

The money pit cars are the ones where you didn't do your due diligence.

7. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    I owed both 360 Spider and F430 Spider (now). I did had a lot of issue with the 360. F430 Spider is a lot more reliable so far. The most import prior to purchase is PPI. I took mine to a Ferrari Dealership and paid a little bit more but worth the inspection. I bought the F430 based on PPI. I provided a list of needed inspection for the F430 because of the "know" problem. I have a list if you need it
    Regardless don't sweat over it. IT'S WORTH DRIVING AND OWNING A FERRARI

DrivnXcitment likes this.
  8. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    When I had my 360 I loved it, until I drove a 430... then it was just a matter of time before I got one.

The 360 is an awesome car and I think it still looks better than the 430, but the 430 is just more refined, faster and will cost you less to run in the long term.

I know the 360 is a spider, which is nice, but if you drive both, I think you'll see how different the 430 feels.

recoil, eyeman1234 and DrivnXcitment like this.
  10. rajagopalan_Kg

Apr 18, 2016
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Raj G
    The flexibility of a 360 spider (over 430 coupe) did it for me. I like the lines/looks of a 360 better, challenge grill (easy to change on the one you are looking at), starfish wheels. Re: potential/future issues, my view of it is rather simple. If you are ready to own a Ferrari, you are probably ready for taking on some future maintenance costs. If you are there mentally, the difference between what it takes to maintain a 360 or a 430 is only incremental difference (IMO). Whatever you get, don't settle for one with poor maintenance records. Getting a well sorted example (even with higher mileage) is probably more important. Good luck with your decision.