Some TLC for my QV | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Some TLC for my QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by afterburner, Mar 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    With the car running and back home, the preparation for the re-licencing process continued, between details and essential items. The will have to go the trimmer's for fitting the carpets soon. I reproduced the original dealer's sticker for the rear window:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cleaned the spare:
    Headlamp adjustments
    low beams
    hi beams
    Fitting the restored rear wheel arches

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    And finally refitting the drain hose with restored P-clips and repro grommets
    Same procedure on the other side - quite a bit of material here too:
    It's just an FRP molding:
    Again, very careful masking - I don't want ANY overspray ANYWHERE
    painted
    Done
    Drain hose pop-riveted on top the newly painted surfaces

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Good post on horn button was gonna get a new one but now maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

afterburner likes this.
  5. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Enjoying all of this thread as I work on my own 85 Mondial Euro...I saw the post (pasted below) about the fuel injector o ring seals and wanted to ask about the proper o ring seals. I purchased "Febi Fuel Injector Seal; O-Ring, Green; Injector Upper; 6x5.2mm" - I installed them and they seem to be correct but your post below has me second guessing myself - Do I have the right ones? Thank you - Joe

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Enjoying all of this thread as I work on my own 85 Mondial Euro...I saw the post (pasted below) about the fuel injector o ring seals and wanted to ask about the proper o ring seals. I purchased "Febi Fuel Injector Seal; O-Ring, Green; Injector Upper; 6x5.2mm" - I installed them and they seem to be correct but your post below has me second guessing myself - Do I have the right ones? Thank you - Joe

This is what my intake looks like with the 6x5.2mm green o-rings. I also used black viton o-rings on the carriers as recommended by Steve Magnusson:

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Joe I think there are 2 versions, an early one which my car's equipped with and which required different seals from later cars like yours. Since you have fitted them they're likely correct. In case anyone needs the green O-rings, message me I still have them and would send them to any F-chatter for the price of shipping.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    OK... that bent front spoiler... I sourced another center section from fellow F-chatter stekkefun, which looked geometrically correct:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I first removed the Zincofil stickers
    I cleaned and flattened them - they had sacrificed them already quite a bit and will need to be replaced
    reproduced from zinc foil
    Then I removed the internal corrosion protection to check for hidden corrosion - there wasn't any

A friend with a sand-blaster helped me clean out the rest of the inside surfaces well enough for proper painting and corrosion protection

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The front side was done with a drill wire brush, as the original rubber coating successfully prevented stone-chipping - in this case sand-blasting - the sand just popped off! Various coats of paint etc

Some non-original holes that will need to get filled
    Some curb-stone impact damaged revealed underneath the filler
    But that wire brush was effective
    Done... lots of "left-overs" including on myself
    Done.

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Next will be painting and corrosion protection - nice with the correct curve on the front spoiler!

And finally the trim shop could complete it's job by adding all the carpets - really nice job done locally:

Detail - since the beginning, the centre console front part incl. the radio was hanging down on the left side:
    I fabricated a spacer for the left side recess to support the panel at the same height as the gear shift casting ends:
    I think that was an original defect.

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  12. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you for confirming so quickly. My car is blown apart (not quite as far as yours was as my fenders stayed on) and is at the paint shop now. It has the same red interior as yours and I just came across this thread last week and am addicted as it is not only inspirational but a great reference for restoration of certain items and for how things will go back together - Joe

afterburner likes this.
  13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Joe... take the fenders off ;) It's so little more work - only a few bolts, you'll find the potential future corrosion areas and you can easily rust-proof the area correctly.

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Then the big day arrived - government safety check. Particular to HK is a rule that specifies not the regular annual MOT for re-licencing, but a full check, similar to an import never registered in HK before - if your vehicle has been off the road for more than 2 years... which was just my case. We shall see, unloading at the test centre:

and queueing inbetween school busses :) That's ok, my car was used for school runs :D Thorough check followed, and some friendly chats with the inspectors who came over to see the car and were happy to hear I've been a "local" with a kid and have owned the car "forever". Then out the other end and waiting for the verdict:

Friday night - last car to await documents... o_O

and IT PASSED!

Back home as a technically street legal car at last; re-licensing is next. As my licence plate had expired, I got a new one attributed:
    Bit of a journey - starting with a broken windshield and a leaking clutch slave... then the "while you're in there" scenario :D

15. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Removing the fender was my original intention as I had blown apart most of the rest of the car. However, the fenders appeared to be welded to the front panel that spans the two fenders and I am always of the mind to not damage anything while disassembling or rebuilding (as we know, these can be expensive mistakes). Also, I am the second owner of the car (had all original paint). The car was imported to LA in 1985 and federalized in early 1986. The first owner then used it as a daily driver from 1986 - 1994 when it was garaged until 2021 when I bought it. As I inspected and disassembled the car, there was not a speck of rust anywhere, which I attribute to its former home in Los Angeles. So, fenders stayed on...In any case, it's a fun project and looking at your pictures and posts is sooooo helpful now and will be more so once I get the car back from the body shop and start re-assembling it - I'll be in touch for some QV Europ wiring diagrams and will post when i run into issues as you surely "have seen it all" - Thanks for the input - Joe

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

afterburner likes this.
  16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  17. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congrats on the certifications... Only one thing left to do - roadtrip! Enjoy all your great work and hope you continue to share projects and progress. Mondial owners around the world are fortunate to have a thread like this as a resource. Ty

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thank you Joe!

19. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That's neat. What documents do they give you?

20. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Congratulations Urs ! Certainly a great relief that the car was approved. I'm happy for you. Enjoy the car.

21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’m sorry to see that this adventure has ended. This was the first thread I would search for when I opened FChat.
    Just amazing work. I wish I had 1/4 of the skill that you have.
    Good for you. Drive safe!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Such an epic thread: perfection delivered in spite of tougher logistical challenges than most of us face. It’s a gorgeous car, one I’d prefer to a GTB/GTS.

Two notes:
    1. The EZ Power Steering folks should be ashamed of themselves and even paying you to rectify their shoddy assembly.
    2. The service department that put the engine in etc sure has some lovely cars on hand; the photo of your car with the F40 in the next stall stands out.

kind regards and congratulations,
    John

greatscott73 and ronfrohock like this.
  23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You are getting a big folder in a protective box, with a "chassis plate" with your car's information:

It includes several chapters, like the criteria, the actual certification, etc:
    Your car's photos and relevant data:
    It also holds an enamelled plaque, the actual certificate signed by Piero Ferrari (real signature, he is the only one singing those), and a maintenance record booklet. To extend the validity of the certification, you need have your car serviced at Ferrari and if it remains in the certified condition, they will extend the validity for one year.

decampos likes this.
  24. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I did get the car on the road mid-April last year and till year end I made 6'000 mls, without a breakdown. But of course, things do come up when you drive and I will cover them here as some might be interesting for other owners.
    All the better if this is a useful resource for others, which is the main reason I am posting here.