Some TLC for my QV | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Some TLC for my QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by afterburner, Mar 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I recently changed out mine as well, and dont remember having that spacer either. (87 US spec) By the way, those actuators are actually a Ford part used on cars built in Australia. I got mine off of ebay for a more than reasonable price.

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Howard would you by any chance have that part number?

3. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I’m sure I can find it. Stay tuned…

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thank you - the one I got is off a Peugeot 205, possibly also the 309 without remote.

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Interesting, thank you. That's a different part!

6. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The Ford part number is 87BG220A20B1B
    Bolts right up and works perfectly. Even the wiring plug is identical. My original one I removed from the car had the Ford oval molded into the plastic. It was used to pop the trunk on Australian Falcons.

7. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    P
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dmarti02 likes this.
  8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The part in the earlier cars is made by Vachette, a French lock manufacturer. It has different connectors from the Ford part. I wonder if they'd interchange, electrically.

9. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That’s the listing I bought mine from. So not current.

10. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  11. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I had my car dyno tested with a lambda sonde to get power/torque and AFR information.
    I needed to make a special test tube as the test center's was too big for the Mondial's tiny exhaust pipes:

loaded into the test bay
    strapped in

The 4 full load tests were run in 4th gear up to the rev limiter; and I requested constant speed in 5th gear at 60, 80, 100, 120 and 140 km/h to see if the car runs rich; the fuel consumption is higher than before the rebuild.

Here the results:
    202HP @ 6'700 (officially 235HP @ 7'050) >14% lost
    227Nm @ 5'850 (officially 258Nm @ 5'600) > 12% lost

I was told by various people that the original claims were overblown and the results were very good for a relatively high mileage engine (145k). Between the test, there was only minimal differences in the engine output, all very repeatable and consistent.

I have plotted the resulting curves into the following graph - Ferrari curves in fainted colors

The full load lambda seems pretty good but what about the partial load - shouldn't it be close to 1?
    Would that be a WUR adjustment question to get it leaner?
    Any expert advice welcome - thanks for your inputs!

85QVEuro likes this.
  13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    While doing the dyno runs I noticed the tach over-reporting by a lot. The speedo is accurate to 80mph, the highest speed I verified by GPS. To re-calibrate the tach I used the following cross reference chart with the actual rolling radius of my 255/55 R16 rear tires: 316mm as measured on the car at 2.8bar tire pressure. For information, I noted the original TRX related RPM on the first line. Small differences finally.

Here the pot inside the tach: CW reduces the readout.

85QVEuro likes this.
  14. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Happy New Year Everyone - good health and safe driving.

The steering developed track rod play again... the roads here ARE consistently bad. As those rods aren't available to my knowledge we measured one:
    We did the 3d data for it:
    And had it reproduced (in Europe)
    The rods were fitted last week and the front end feels tight again.

I also tracked down one of the several resonances emanating from the rear of the car at various rpms. One of the air intake duct screws had fallen out - in fact the original holes line up so poorly that it couldn't be tightened properly, even though it did feel so:
    I noticed that Ferrari had drilled a new hole inside the frame and the body
    Screw fitted - original fix reproduced:
    One other resonance was due to the strakes vibrating inside the forward bracket location when air is passing through combined with the engine rpm - I held them through the open window and voilà the noise was gone. It was not reproducible standing still and revving the engine. I applied a small band of GYSO-Butyl (windshield adhesive) around each bracket to secure them in place. That was successful in killing that resonance:

The top bracket wasn't sealed yet in the above image. The greenish layer is Dinitrol anti-corrosion protection.

85QVEuro likes this.
  16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The car started to gradually develop WOT loss of power again. Otherwise running perfectly. I removed the WUR and took it apart to check for obstructions/damage.

It looked spotless inside incl. the fuel cell membrane and the heating element works as it should as well. The lower vacuum diaphragm works and holds tight. So back in it went.

I also noticed that the WUR section drawing in the workshop is incorrect. Our WUR's vacuum line attaches to the sandwich block and moves the piston up (leaning the engine) while the trottle closes. The WM shows the opposite with the vacuum attached the bottom cover.

I then bought a system/control pressure test gauge to measure the correct operation of the K-Jet:

I measure according to the book and got the following results
    While going to WOT, the control pressure would drop sharply, indication an enrichment during the rev-up. The measurement do not explain the lack of fuel while opening the throttle when driving. However, this did:

The main inlet filter on the fuel distributor had started to clog up again. After cleaning, the engine runs perfectly... I am wondering if we are getting dirty fuel or if there is something dissolving upstream in my fuel line...

ellum and 85QVEuro like this.
  17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    2022 saw the car do exactly 8'000 miles. It just received the annual service with renewal of the Classiche Certificate and passed the annual government technical inspection with flying colours.

theunissenguido likes this.
  19. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    The steering developed track rod play again... the roads here ARE consistently bad. As those rods aren't available to my knowledge we measured one:
    View attachment 3470181
    We did the 3d data for it:
    View attachment 3470174
    And had it reproduced (in Europe)
    View attachment 3470184
    The rods were fitted last week and the front end feels tight again.

WOW !!! That is true dedication. My compliments and respect. People like you or Ron that decide to manufacture parts that are NLA are the ones that allow us "user" to keep enjoying our classics.

Might these rods be fitting a T as well ? and might they cure the embarrassing "clonk"- noise I have when parking the car tight using full lock left to right ??
    Then I might be up for an order.....

Best,
    Mondi Cab

ronfrohock likes this.
  20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Mondi Cab

Thanks for your kind words. Those track rods won't fit the t. But other than the track rods themselves your clonk might be due to a worn ball joint on the A arms or track rod?

21. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    I'm always impressed with your rebuild work. After seeing the crack, I was curious to see if you were planning on making your own replacement PCB for inside the switch.

It's a very simple circuit. If replacing the capacitor didn't fix my foglight switch, I probably would have gutted it and replaced the insides with a newer mechanism.... But then again I'm not chasing classiche recertification.

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Gunn - I am thinking about potential PCB repair since the switch and illumination part of it works normally. It's worth saving; these switches aren't available easily. I would have to drill out the connector rivets so I can remove the board from the front of the switch to repair/replace it. Could be an interesting project.

How's your MOND-E-AL going?

23. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Work has the "audacity" to occupy more of my attention... But I'm to the point where I'm mounting the LDU and waiting on the battery boxes so I can place the large pieces in place. Once I do that, well, the rest is much more straightforward wiring.

Even once the car runs, I plan on adding a restomod HVAC system instead of keeping the stock system in place.

24. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Great I am looking forward to your updates.

ronfrohock likes this.