Somebody at Ferrari hates me... no Stradale for Brian... again... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Somebody at Ferrari hates me... no Stradale for Brian... again...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian C. Stradale, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which is most likely?

1. Brian will get his Stradale this third time around (in May).

2. Not this time, but next time, just in time for Monterey.

3. Brian will keep getting bumped until the last Stradale produced.

4. Brian will never get a car from FNA; only used F-cars for him.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hey brian. sorry to hear that the delivery date for your stradale has slipped again. my dealer placed the order for my yellow stradale on october 21, 2003. at that time we estimated it would take a total of four months for fabrication and delivery. i received my car last night :) almost exactly four months. the bad news is (this may make you feel a little better) the F1 championship plaque on my car does NOT include 2003 :( a friend of mine saw a stradale at the detroit auto show last month, and it had an updated plaque that included 2003 (naturally i assumed that my car would have this updated plaque also, right?). like you i really was hoping for the updated plaque. so in a round about way the good news for you is that by the time you finally get your stradale (it will be worth the hassle you're going through and one day you'll be able to laugh about all this nonsense) you may be the only guy in the world who ends up with the plaque that includes 2003. i guess the bad news could be that by the time you get your car ferrari could win another title (2004) and you still won't have the latest plaque :) just trying to cheer you up :)

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Rick, congatulations! Pics are needed. Like 5 minutes ago.

3. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I know in 2001 the plaques were not updated until the Feb build, another reason why (besides the weather here) I delayed my order. Where are the pics and driving impressions???

As far as getting a GT2, it ain't that easy. Being a previous Ferrari customer I can get whatever I want short of an Enzo, but when I went to the local Porsche store to put a deposit on one a few years ago, I was told I would probably never see it, but left a deposit anyways. When news of the 360CS came out I took my deposit back. When I went to the local MB store to put a deposit on a SL55 two years ago, I talked to a salesperson who said they had not taken any deposits yet and that I would be the first one to get it. Great! On the receipt it said "price to be determined by market." Huh? I told him I just took delivery of an 01 360 Spider in April and paid MSRP and was offered 300K the very next day - honest - and didn't sell, I will not pay over sticker for the MB. He gave me my deposit back.

4. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    ...um GT2 - I tried to buy one from several main dealers in MA when I bought my 360 (early 2002) and recieved much sucking of teeth about placing an order and getting it any time soon. They did however have two specced cars that they had ordered that they could let me have for List +50K.

I would probably have bought one for list, but no dice. Same as right now for Ferrari, I'm getting a CS, because I've been waiting - if you're prepared to pay +20K over list you can get one right now.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I do agree w/ Rob328GTS.

We don't know exactly what really happened yet. Buying a car from other dealership may not be beneficial to Brian in long term, too.

Like I said in the previous post, salesmen is too busy to pay exlusive attention to one customer or one matter. One evidence is 2 different calls from the dealer which contradicts information. If they were paying more attention on this matter, 2nd call wouldn't be made, I think.

Buying different car won't do his heart as his last name shows what he really want.

Italian business culture could be different, so Ferrari may not consider the situation the same as what Brian thinks.

If possible, I would suggest put all liasons from now mainly in writing, e-mail, letter w/ little use of phone calls to assist the matter. So everyone involving will be on the same page. (The minute presented to the dealer on each meeting could make a difference)

I just hope that Brian gets what he really wants ASAP, so he doesn't have to feel stressed out. I consider buying Ferrari is pleasant experience, and it shouldn't be painful.

Yoshi Ace

6. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I got on the 360 list the exact same month as you (Oct 2000). I too was told approx 18 months. It ended up being exactly 30 months until I got mine. I didn't hold any grudges or get upset about it because when they said "approx 18 months", I knew it could have been more or less.

If I were you, I would get a Gallardo. Ferrari repeatedly treats people like sh*t. If enough people stopped putting up with it, they would eventually feel it and it might make them think differently next time.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I agree with all BUT the "get a Gallardo" part. that's why I said we should all put forth a concerted effort to bypass the dealer network whenever possible. Sorry Rob if I am hurting sponsors, but we all have to look out for OUR OWN best interests, RIGHT? That's why there is a board like this, is it not? We all in the ferrari community can benefit from eachother's experiences, both good and bad. I am in the market for Ferrari #2 and I WILL NOT BUY FROM A DEALER unless I absolutely cannot find the right car from the right private owner at the right price. But, I also willing to do the due dilligence and wait for just the right car. I certainly understand the burning desire someone has if they want to have a BRAND NEW special order car like the Stradale, but to get jacked around for a 360 !!! Sorry, does not hold water.

Same hold true for the famous, Pentagon-like charges many dealers want for the simplest of services like oil changes. They must be using one of those famous $1700 wrenches.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I've been giving all of this a lot of thought (in between trying to revive our computer server so that people can get their work done)...

As for all the alternative car suggestions... cars that I could pick up quicker than the Stradale that seems to never come... Sherpa23 has it right...

If I list my requirements for my track/street car, the Gallardo isn't even close to satisfying them; the GT2 and GT3 are a bit closer, but still don't cut it; Lotus Elise, Ford GT, and so on... they all are great cars, but they aren't the slice of perfection (relative to my requirements) that the CS is.

In fact, none of those cars are even more appealing than my existing 360 Modena! And that's obviously the cheapest/quickest option for me... just keep it... I love it, afterall... and a little dieting and some Imola upgrades could make it a CS performance-wise. I did think a while on that... but in the end, my reasons for wanting to pay big $$$ to upgrade from my 360 Modena to a CS remain... and if I am willing to part with big $$$, a few more (unexpected) months of waiting are small compared to the $$$.

9. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    I must say I am disturbed by a lot of the comments on here. Without knowing for sure what is going on with your orders, I won't comment on the FNA or the dealers because of that. NO ONE KNOWS!
    Brian I would be on the phone to everyone I could. Sales managers and owners, heck even their wives! ("Has your husband been driving around in a new silver 360 with strips?") Looking for more and more info. No matter how little the amount you get from each, it could add up.

When I am able to purchase a brand new Ferrari, I really hope I don't have to wait years for a car I have been already waiting for my whole life, just without someone holding my deposit money. Its weird, I expected a problem from a Ferrari customer, would be handled fast! You are spending a great amount of money and deserve something great in return, in a timely matter.
    I know if I were to go get a Honda S2000, and I had a bad experience of any kind, the dealership would have already called me asking about my concerns. And if I called Honda and complained about the service I received (or didn't receive) from that dealership... That sales manager would be calling me shortly after kissing my ass!

That's a $32K S2000. I hope you get your new future child soon and with very few hassles.

Steven

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    First, as for the suggestions of evil-doing by Ferrari of Dallas, let me stress there is no evidence of them selling my car to others... it would be out of character for them... and it would be real hard for them to do without it getting out. In neither case did the car get to Dallas; in the latter case, it did not even get into production... let alone out of production.

The only issue I have with Ferrari of Dallas is that they, as a matter of policy, don't give out certain information that other dealers do. That is a bit frustrating... but it is far from evil.

Second, as to the suggestions of finding a new dealer... two basic responses: 1) part of the appeal of a new Stradale is warranty service (I plan to drive the wheels off the car and purchase the extended warranties for my peace of mind); thus, I want to build a long-term relationship with a nearby dealer... I spend $$$ on maintaining my car right, and expect customer service to match my investment; and 2) see above... they haven't really done anything wrong... they just have a policy on giving out order numbers that I don't like.

Now to this particular event... further discussions with FoD have revealed that this second event was a non-event, so to speak. Here's what happened:

My car went into Stage 10 on Dec 23. Based on that, Tony (my sales guy at the time) gave me the expected timing (which included delivery in March). He figured it would go stage 20 first week or two of January. Further, he wanted to verify they got my request for red alcantara headliner right; but he couldn't verify that in December due to vacationing Italians. So, he called first week of January and verified that, indicating to me that the order had to get "into the factory" for him to verify that. I took that to mean that it had reached "in production" state (i.e., stage 20). Evidently, this was not what Tony meant with that terminology... a miscommunication between us.

A couple weeks later Tony left FoD. Chet, Maserati sales guy, was handed the Ferrari sales activity as well. My car failed to go Stage 20 (into production) as we would have expected... so, no signal went to Chet; but Chet didn't know to be surprised at the absence of that signal. When I inquired two days ago, Chet looked up my order and saw it was Stage 10, assumed I had not been informed of that since I was inquiring, so he announced Stage 10 and gave me the typical timing estimates based on that. Since I thought it had already gone Stage 20 and was looking for Stage 90 (completed production), being informed of Stage 10 was quite a setback! Hence my distressed post yesterday.

However, the car was NOT usurped as it came out of production. Rather, the car never actually made it to Stage 20. And still hasn't! Evidently, sometimes this happens... it sits in Stage 10 for a long time. Maybe they are waiting for enough Titanium orders to build up so that they can run a batch through paint all together. Such is a bit backwards relative to modern manufacturing practices, but Ferrari is a small shop.

So, net-net: the changeover of personnel, combined with a miscommunication with me on each end of that changeover, combined with Ferrari SpA being extra slow on my car, all led to my perception of things starting over a third time! In fact, my order has just been sitting.

Hope that clears the record... doesn't shorten my wait at all... but at least it does NOT establish a continuing pattern of do-overs. So, maybe I will get a car afterall!

Thus, my only remaining issue in all this is with FNA not providing any useful answers on what exactly happened to my first car... irrelevant at this point, but it would help restore my confidence in FNA's behavior. As it is, they leave open the likelihood of mis-deed on their part. Ferrari of Dallas' unfortunate policy of not giving out order numbers exacerbates this as it makes it impossible for me to contact FNA directly. They assume I am full of $#it, trying to inquire about an order without an order number... "you should have gotten an order number from your dealer" is the only response I get... they probably think I'm some weirdo non-owner... and thus, I am left frustrated with my dealer on that... but in the end, it doesn't really change anything.

I hope that clears all that up. My apologies for posting before I had learned more... but my intent was really to express my distress at the further delay... and the seeming pattern of do-overs.

And on that note... thank you all for your supportive comments... even the dealer-bashing... it all helped me think through everything, remember my goals and priorities, and put everything in perspective. That's what friends are for!!

Now if Ferrari SpA will get off their duffs and build my darn car!! And FNA will let me know what happened to the first one, and offer to fly my new car direct to Dallas to help compensate for the now huge delay in my order... then my faith in all can be restored. ;) Oh well, probably won't happen... hopefully, at least, the Stradale I get is a cherry one! Maybe one that actually has 425hp and actually weighs less than 3000#... that would make me happy!! ;)

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So I was right about Luigi after all, eh?

Dr "Chuck It" Tax

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Brian, if all else fails, take comfort in the fact that you're getting a Stradale. And you got to pick everything in it.

13. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    A few of you asked about this... I haven't been waiting around car-less for my new car to come in. After putting down my deposit for a new car (which I could get exactly how I wanted), I went out and bought a used one to enjoy in the meantime. I have been driving my 360 Modena since April 2001... and enjoying it very much. And that experience contributes a lot to my confidence in purchasing the even-better-for-my-needs Stradale.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Good one, Mark... that gave me a good chuckle!! :D

It will be an interesting comparison... do you get better service by being an elite $150K buyer at a Ford dealership than you do being a lowly entry-level 360 buyer at a Ferrari dealership? Only time will tell...

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Brian, for your sake I pray that there is no more labor issues & strikes at the factory. Nothing worse than pissed off employees building your car. I hope you get your car soon.

16. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    True. However, even if so, they are guilty of not informing the customer adequately... the truth, but not the whole truth. A lesser crime, perhaps; but same net effect on the customer's confidence and satisfaction. FNA has NOT handled that event properly at all, IMO. I still hope they come around and choose to redeem themselves by direct shipping the car to me! (Well, I can hope, can't I? ;) )

Further, you'd think that in that situation they'd have made sure the replacement order got high priority at the factory. In contrast, my order has been sitting at the factory for 7 weeks now, with no action. Pathetic.

Agreed. Not too plausible.

17. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I too was disappointed in not having the updated plaque on my 04 360. You would think there would be a little more sphincter tone in the marketing department to make sure it was updated. Do they have a marketing dept?

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ferrari is disgusting me more and more each day.

The stunt that they are pulling on Brian is typical...and it might even be the dealer himself. In Arizona the sales manager has a magic list that only he has...written in pencil. If the right little toy or bribe or customer happens to grease that guy....low and behold.................a car shows up!

I've known guys with deposits in hand since 1999 and they still haven't got cars....however, people who have placed their orders later have gotten cars.

These Ferrari dealers think that they are doing you a favor. I've had alot of Fcars...and I've loved them all....but its high time they worked hard for my money rather than just take and take.....I am tired of it/

Last year I ordered an SL55 and was never jerked around the list....and have been treated like gold....no, platinum by Merc.

When I bought a Lotus...I got a call from the head of Lotus, USA and was given passes to F1 when they were racing in Phx.

Ferrari just takes and takes.

Brian....if you ever get a CS....buy it, flip it for a profit and buy either a used Fcar or go get a car from a dealer that will appreciate your business.

Ciao

Dino

19. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was the person who originally took Brians deposit on a 360 way,way back a long time ago. I have been gone from Ferrari since May of 2003 but I have been following Brians painful experience closely. We have exchanged private correspondence and I have discussed with him the avenue I think would work best.

I worked at FoD for three years and saw this loss of car happen a few times. The car would be in the production pipeline one day and the next day it would be lost in cyberspace. No explanations, nothing, just gone......Very frustrating for the dealer and the client. I have also seen the cars held up like Brian is saying on this one. When the 550 Barchetta came out, everything else on the line was pushed back two to three months while the Barchettas were produced. "You were supposed to get your car in June? Sorry, now it will be October". It happens.

I know Mr Risi very well and respect him greatly. I would be very disappointed to learn that he would ever move one clients order out of the way get a car to a favorite client. When a new model is introduced there is a short list of clients who are automatically on the list but once those 5-10 orders are satisfied, the list comes into effect. Future business is very important as fortunes change along with peoples likes and dislikes, so not everyone who ever buys a Ferrari will always come back to buy another. It is very important to satisfy the future client base also.

I trust this situation will turn out okay in the long run and Brian will get his Stradale before summer. I will watch how it turns out just like the rest of you.

Hang in there Brian, I really believe something is happening in the positive vein on it........................

20. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Brian,
    Please don't fall into the thinking that FoD is really trying to help you. I can provide you with a list of Dallas area customer who after dealing with FoD and got disgusted then came to me. I really think that you are taking this too lightly, did you ever find out why Tony "left" FoD. you want to know PM me and I'll tell you. They are not in business to help you out. Didn't you go to them before you bought your current 360 through ME? I am not trying to get your business because I cannot get you a new CS but you need to investigate going to another dealer, there are many that are eager to help you. There are way too much politics at FoD and FoH for anyone to be comfortable dealing with them. Do yourself a favor and go to another dealer for your CS FoD does not deserve a customer like you!

Wade

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You wouldn't have anything personal with FoH/FoD would you?

If I was a tech, no other place I wouldn't rather work than for FoH and Mr. Risi. Maybe someday I can do that.

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly my thoughts after having gone through the same crap. These sales guys are order takers on the 360's, l wonder how well they sell 456's oops the 612! Easy to take orders, much harder to sell a product that is not so hot anymore (575M).

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Spoken like someone who KNOWS something about sales, salesmanship and customer SERVICE, unlike most Ferrari dealers. BRAVO !!!

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Rob, I have no axe to grind with ANY dealer in particular, nor do I think MOST here do. You are missing the point, the problem is, in point of fact, the WHOLE corporate culture WITHIN the dealer network. My father taught me as a youngster the GOLDEN RULE, he with the gold makes the rules. THAT is the philosophy these dealers are subscribing to, and the unfortunate by-product is many would-be Ferrari buyers who do not have the temperment for the BS are going to other marques such as Lambor-Junki !! It really is a shame. One of my best friends who has owned many high-end marques including 2 Ferraris and currently owns a '92 512TR is contemplating a Gallardo because of the shoddy treatment he had received at a nameless dealer. And he REFERRED 3 people to that dealer that BOUGHT cars !!! HELLO, EARTH TO FERRARI !!!

25. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    308nut,

I do not believe you want anyone to go into why you might have something against FoD/FoH. I believe I would leave that stone unturned. Wade, you know me fairly well. Please don't go there, for your own sake........