SOMETIMES MONEY ISN"T EVERYTHING........ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SOMETIMES MONEY ISN"T EVERYTHING........

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by BWS550, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "In fact, he told me recently that he is going to write a book about everything that a man needs to know about women."

His book is either going to be a 2 sheet pamphlet or a 24 volume set.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WHO IS THAT ARLIE??

GOOD EVENING MARTIN......ILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE ENZO

J SCOTT...MAKE ME A STAR OF DAVID LICENCE FRAME HOLDER AND ILL CONSIDER YOUR COMMISSIONS ON MY EXECUTIVE POSITION

THANKS ALL GUYS, YOU ROCK

BRUCE

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Horsie, there's actually more to the story now that his "true love" girlfriend has gotten his name and number. The book is on hold, ha!

Dale

4. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Im sure input from an internet discussion board won't change your decision, but I think you should go to the CEO and say "heres why I can't accept the offer as it stands, is there any way my situation could be accomodated while I live up to my end of the deal?" might suprise you what he'd do for you if you're the guy he wants, and you obviously got asked for a reason, maybe you can base your operations out of your town and fly in frequently for meetings or something, its worth asking, maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Bruce that's a hell of an offer! Your stance on this warms my heart, not too many people do the "right" thing anymore. Congrats!:)

6. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Bruce--

Even at my wet behind the ears age, I respect what you are doing. My dad did the same for us growing up and it is something that I truly thank him for.

Cheers!

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I think John is right. If your already going to decline, at least see if you can work remotely a lot of the time. Instead of her flying to you, how about you fly back and forth? If its not worth it, then there's no point continuing, but there might be other options...

Sunny

8. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Bruce you're a good father!

All the best,

Bob

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    St. Louis cant hold a candle to the NY/NJ/CT tri state area. 7 figs is a solid amount though, but what the heck is there to do in missouri?

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That takes care of the next "FerrariChatter of the Month" award.

Bruce, may you and yours live long and prosper in every way.

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Id like to see that as well! Now that is a choice to be proud of Bruce! Just know you guys serve as role models for me, and this is the way I want to grow up!

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    What Bruce did not mention is that as it is he is making an 8 figure income right now :)

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Bruce, don't know you but think I completely understand your decision. Greatest pain hangover from my divorce 10 years ago was not living with my now 15 year old daughter - similar custody arrangement to yours. That pain is real, and lasts, and I think you have to live it to get it. I also once turned down a business opportunity because it would have required all of my time, and five years later I've come to understand that daughters need as much of a father's time & love as he can give. As Napolis suggests, it's all pretty fragile.

Cheers, Will

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    So that's what I'm doing wrong: caps lock key, complete sentences, basic spelling, distinguishing "bare" and "bear" ... no wonder I'm not VP material. (j/k) :p

But I agree that there's more than money. I've had a hard time explaining to ladder climbers that I'd rather be a good nerd than a bad manager. (The "technical track" doesn't have many trains running, these days.)

15. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Brother Bruce - I applaud your decision. You are extremely dedicated to the important things in life.
    However... If you did decide to move out to St. Louis, then the entire Jersey Crew and Nutmeg State reps (Just Dave Monk and I) would have to do a Ferrari caravan drive down to visit you every few weekends or so... Just to hang out with The Wellingtons!!!
    How's Andrea's recovery going? Hope all is well!!!!!
    Hutch

16. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I am sure some have forgotten but many will never forget including myself who was spared that day

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Well, just to close the loop, I like Porterhouse steak and Macallan scotch. I've got a good feeling that I'm gonna win this bet.

See you in 5 years! Dale

18. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Bruce -- you're decision is an outstanding and highly commendable one, IMHO. You put it very succinctly when you mentioned that there wasn't enough money / perks in the world that could take the place of seeing your lovely daughter regularly. Sure wish more parents had this same opinion, fortitude, and commitment towards their families. Best wishes to you and the family!

19. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Brother Bruce is the pillar of the tri-state area. Without you we will crumble.

20. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Bruce,
    I will echo other's sentiments. I have been in the exact same situation, not once, but twice.

Coincidently, both positions I turned down were taken by friends of mine, and neither job worked out well.

If God wanted you to go, he would open every door to make that happen. The fact that you are questioning the decision speaks volumes. What good is money if you are unhappy and longing to watch your child grow up?

The tangibles you leave behind when you are gone are quickly forgotten, the parenting legacy you leave with your children will echo for generations to come.

You will be blessed by your decision.

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    There is an old joke, something like: Fat Producer sees a Mexican man strumming guitar and drinking wine in small seaside town; stunned by his talent, he approaches the guitar player and explains that he could get the guy a nice deal, have him move up to LA and become a session guy on some big records, with the possibility of launching his own, solo career as a writer/performer, with the prospect of getting some significant advances sufficient to fund the making of several records, which, if they "hit" might may the guy a sizeable income after the advances were recouped. The guitar player asks: " And, what would be the point of doing all that?" The Producer is dumbfounded by the guy's apparent lack of business savvy. "Well, assuming all goes well, you could earn enough to retire, and sit along the bay, just strumming your guitar and drinking vino."

I think you get what i mean....

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dr.
    You have to put it in a box but you have to pass on the knowledge of what happened and reflect on it without dwelling on it.

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Wow Bruce just read your post. As someone else said you are a mensch! This has to be a very difficult decision but I also believe that you are making the right decision. Obviously you have what it takes to command this position and if the circumstances aren't right now (location wise) - something else will come up in the near future. To echo what others have said - by turning down this large $ opportunity, you are creating other opportunities (family and friends) that cant be measured in cash.

Best to you and yours..

24. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Bruce, absolutely the right decision. A friend of mine moved to Florida to be near his children when his ex wife moved there. He never gave it a second thought. They only grow up once.

25. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Good choice Bruce. Think of it this way...you're not poor now so how much money is enough? You currently have more than most people even dream of and you are happy. Sure 7 figs is a bunch of money, but what do you plan to do with all of it or the connections you may or may not make? Seems you are pretty connected now as is.

As a new father to a 3 month old there is no way I would voluntarily be away from my kiddo.