Sorting Out Rough Warm Up and Idle on an 87 TR | FerrariChat

Sorting Out Rough Warm Up and Idle on an 87 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, Jan 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Today, on a sunny wintery day I decided finally to get to grips with the rough warm up. The car would start fine in all weather, hot or cold. But the idle would oscillate wildly between 500 and 1000 rpm until the engine was at full operating temperature. It would often stall and the only way to ensure the engine kept running would be to keep the foot on the accelerator at 1000 rpm or over. Once revving above 1500 rpm the engine ran great. Once warmed up the engine idled fine but not what I would call excellent.

Previously I checked the auxiliary air valves. Both sides were operating correctly - open when the engine is cold, and closing then closed as the engine warms up.

The first check today was for primary fuel pressure as many problems can occur if this is wrong. My TR manual only shows the early model with the K-jet injection. Luckily on the KE-jet the connection is by the cold start injector which is very easy to access. Before attaching the pump I created the jumper connector described in the manual that would cause the fuel pumps to run with the engine off. Here's a stock picture from the web and it's exactly what I created. The fuse box cover mentions left and right the wrong way round to me - I always thought that sides are determined in the direction of travel but here right means the driver's side (in US and EU but not UK).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I connected the fuel pressure tester and activated the correct pump with the jumper connector. The checks proved that fuel pressure was correct on both sides. In fact it was 5.4 bar on each side. Perfect.

The next check I wanted to run was for CO emissions. I recently acquired a Gunson CO tester. This device calibrates in open air and then shows CO levels via a probe inserted into the exhaust. This tool is a saviour to a home mechanic on a budget. While it may not be as accurate as a professional tool the gauge would show if the two sides are running differently.

After spending 15 mins calibrating the tool and making sure that the TR is totally warm - fans engage and oil temperature is up. I inserted the probe into the right exhaust. On my TR the right exhaust comes from the right bank, i.e. there is no cross-over. (See my earlier posts for a picture of the unit.) The gauge showed the correct CO output. Next I moved the probe to the left exhaust and it showed that the left bank was running very rich. In fact I'm surprised that the engine ran as well as it did with so much unburnt fuel.

It was time to do my first CO adjustment. The protective allen bolt came out easily and I was able to use a long thin flat screwdriver to turn the hidden adjustment screw one quarter of a turn anti-clockwise - to make the mixture less rich. The engine sound changed immediately. It sounded more harmonious. I revved the engine a few times (as required by the gas tester instructions). Then after recalibrating the tester I inserted the probe first into the left exhaust and then to the right. It just so happened that I turned the screw the right amount - both banks were in sync.

It is not a good time to take the TR out - too much grit on the roads. So I'll have to wait for the weather to warm up and for the rains to wash away the grit before I give her a proper road test. But so far, so good...

Attached Files:

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Really like ur thorough analysis! Great job! All the best in fixing the issue!! Seems like u got this.
    Very helpful if i face this in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I use an Innovate motorsport LM-1 to set my CO. The LM-1 measures 12 times a second, one of the better A/F meters.You should disconnect the OX sensors when making the adjustment. I installed OX sensor bungs in front of the convertors when I remade the pre-cats. Then you leave the OX sensors in the CATS, just disconnect the wires. The LM-1 uses a Bosch Wide band OX sensor. The LM-1 could be put up the tail pipe with a fixture, But is more accurate if screwed into a bung upstream. My m 87 TR FI had slot screws to access the 3 mm allen adjustment screws in the metering unit. Very little movement is all that is needed to bring it into spec. Balance the separate cyl. banks idle with vacuum gauges or manometer. Set the open throttle linkage balance at 2500 rpm, puling on throttle cable.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    normaly for the protected screw (it is not an allen screw ) you need the flat srewdriver and for the adjusting screw you need a 3 mm allen tool.

gradulation that you found the mistake. but I wonder why this mixture screw has been so much out of range?

5. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The LM-2 Basic (successor to LM-1?) seems to be double the price of the Gunson. Probably not worth it for amateur use. But glad to hear that there is a way for cars with catalysts to be checked easily. In the UK pre 1993 cars do not require a catalytic converter if not fitted originally. Mine has straight thru pipes with minor baffling. Sounds awesome and can measure emissions at the outlet!

6. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Turbo-Joe, on mine protective screws are Allen bolts. Both of them. Will take a pic next time. I couldn't see inside the hole to see what the adjustment screw was like but a thin screwdriver fitted perfectly either way.

Now that I have a CO measuring device I'll be able to tell if either side drifts. As to why it was off so much - I don't know.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Adam, Did you check the balance of throttle openings between cylinder banks? Sort of like balancing the two carbs on British M/C twins. I have done many times.

8. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Really informative write up. I had a fast o2 system on another car with dual wideband o2 sensors that I used on a carbureted car. It worked really well to adjust jets accurately. I did think about using it on my 87 tr. Fast makes clamp on pipes with o2 bugs welded in, so you can look at a/f mixture while idling or really driving. Haven't tried it yet, but not I have some desire.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I used the LM-1 to jet the two 4bbls. on my Blown Hemi hot rod. The best way to dial it in.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A quarter of a turn can bring down the CO by so much? Are you sure something else didn't happen too? Like, bumping a loose electrical connection around the coils / distributor or something that got the left bank firing again? It's great that it's working as well as it does now, just wondering if a quarter turn could really make that much of a difference?

11. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've not tried checking the throttle balance yet. Something for another occasion.

The car has been running fine when warm and there were no misfiring or ignition issues.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My car was running fine also. Then I checked the balance, it was a little off. Running better than ever now.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    1/4 turn is about 1,5 to 2 % CO

14. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Today went to start the TR from cold and..... my CO adjustments made no difference what so ever to the cold starting problems. So will need to check more components when time allows but it definitely idles better once warmed up.

Incidentally, what should be the RPMs at idle on cold start? Should they be above 1000 rpm?

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so about 1000 to 1300 rpm, it depends how cold it is

16. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've had another opportunity to examine the warm-up idle on the TR today. It was 4 degrees C outside and raining. Not fun.

Having done a fair amount of reading around KE-Jetronic it became clear to me that warm up regulation is governed in part by a thermistor whose resistance drops with coolant temperature. There are some great posts on this forum about this. Specifically I found this useful: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/87-tr-rough-idle-and-stalling-surging.529535/. Steve Magnusson provided a great picture that shows the expected resistance versus temperature - https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/tr-ke-jetronic-coolant-thermister-resistance-testing-diag-sheet-6-nr-2-jpg.2277402/

My results came back good. The two sides show virtually identical resistance at the same temperature. The variance is under 2.5%.

Cold. 4 degrees C - 4500 ohms
    Warming up ~60 degrees - 700 ohms
    Fully warmed up ~80 degrees - 400 ohms

So the problem is clearly not with the thermistor.

What else can cause the idle to be too low when warming up requiring one to keep the foot on the accelerator? I will check the balance of the throttle openings, once I learn how to do that. Both auxiliary air valves are open when cold so it's not that.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the additional info and good you did some tests and they are ok.
    so what idle rpm you have when cold?
    and what when warm ( so with good oiltemperature already )?

18. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    To be honest, after I did the CO adjustment it definitely idles better once warmed up a bit - one to two mins in today's weather.

Once it's stabilized (and I can stop keeping my foot on the accelerator) the idle settles at about 800-900 rpm based on the tachometer. What I am not experiencing is starting and idling at 1300 then slowly revs going down as it warms up. I have to keep my foot on, holding it around 1000 until I can feel it stabilising.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Almost everything in Chapter D of the TR WSM and Diagnosis Sheet No.5 or 6 ;)

"My TR manual only shows the early model with the K-Jet injection" -- there is an additional supplement to Chapter D (pages D61 to D105) for the KE-Jet TR with cats (626/90) and a separate booklet for the KE-Jet TR without Cats (95990856). What year/version TR do you have, or, alternatively, what is the engine family marked on the top of the block over cylinder #6 -- something like F113B or F113A040 or... ?

Seriously, on KE-Jet there can be a lot wrong, and warm-running can be sort of OKish -- because that's the condition that it gets tweaked up in. Good cold-running after initial light-off requires the AAVs and the electrical part of the KE system to be working (as the injection ECUs operate the EHAs to add enrichment during cold-running). As a first step -- have you confirmed the protection relay is supplying +12V to run the electrical part of the KE system?

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Forgot to add that 626/90 for the KE-Jet with cats is also known as 95990887 (and still seems to be available - www.eurospares.co.uk, www.allferraripats.com, etc.).

Sadly, it used to be up on ferraridatabase until it's demise (and like an idiot I didn't save a copy). If the FC Member who originally gave it to ferraridatabase could give a link to it = yes, please!

21. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Chapter D is the one that I've been reading up on. I have a Merc with standard K-jet and that's a much easier proposition with a mechanical WUR. Anyway, mine is an 87 TR with KE-Jet and no catalytic converters, engine F113B. I don't have the Ferrari KE Supplement but do have a copy of the KE-Jetronic book from Bosch and another publication that covers miscellaneous old Bosch FI systems in varying detail.

Not checked the protection relay for voltage so can do that the next time. The AAVs are indeed open when cold and close as the engine warms up.

If there's an online copy of the official Ferrari KE diagnostics then I'd very much appreciate getting a copy :)

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't have a copy of Diagnosis Sheet No. 12 (which is the one specifically for the F113B), but this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm81j3cq3048qe1/TR Diagnosis Sheet N 6 US KE-Jet Injection.pdf?dl=0

will get you Diagnosis Sheet No. 6 (which is the one for the US F113A040 with cats) -- shares a lot of items (except the Lambda stuff). Of course, the tricky bit is finding where to measure the signals if you don't have the special 25-pin break-out box. Here's a link to the 459/86 schematic for your F113B:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox8kxpyzlsid9jn/Wiring Diagrams TR 459_86 from Ben.pdf?dl=0

And if you haven't already found it, here's how to confirm/deny the +12V from the protection relay if you don't have the 25-pin break-out box:

23. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks a lot, Steve. Downloaded and looking forward to getting better acquainted through reading with that glorious Flat 12.

24. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    For those of you who use the LM2 tool to measure a/f ratio, can it also read % CO? The manuals provided by Ferrari express target figures in that way (or will a good a/f ratio render the measurement of CO unnecessary? Does the system work well with a non OBD car? I am debating the purchase of a dual channel system and just using the existing exhaust bungs to swap out the O2 sensors.

I have also read the Ferrari TR KE Jet manual and better understand the roles of the various components. They make no reference to O2 sensor inputs. Either my manual is for a KE Jet non-cat TR (is there such a thing?) or I am missing something?

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My Innovate Motorsports LM-1 works on non OB-2 car. Reads and records A/F ratio, and can be downloaded on to your computer with RPMs. Someone who knows these meters better than me, said is one of the best on the market. I suggest you contact Innovate Motorsports with your questions.