Sott’olio preserves | FerrariChat

Sott’olio preserves

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by damian in nj, Jul 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    A three day process. Slice thinly and layer with salt in a colander, weigh down with a plate overnight. Rinse the next day, and cover with equal parts white vinegar and water, and let sit overnight. Drain and pat dry, pack into jars with garlic and mint or hot peppers (or oregano, or your favorite herb), cover with vegetable oil-not olive oil, as it will stiffen in the fridge. Great on a sandwich or as part of an antipasto platter. They keep for months in the fridge. Recipe from my 102 year old aunt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dai Baracca likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice. I've gotten lazy in my old age. I slice thin (red onions, chili peppers, etc.), add apple cider vinegar, S&P, Italian spice blend from Costco, brown sugar (I don't like these sweet, so I go light here). Then, zap in the microwave until it's hot but not boiling (70 sec w/ our model), let cool a bit, cover, into the fridge.

For those green tomatoes, did you peel/remove skin before hand? I tried pickled green tomatoes earlier this year, and it was good in taste, but poor in texture, largely due to the skins I think. Thanks!

T

3. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    I don’t peel the tomatoes.

tomc likes this.
  4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    we do porcini sott'olio where I'm from. Great antipasto with some parmigiano. use the little button porcini that we find.
    we used to jar our own tomato for sauce, but alas no one is around anymore, the youngins aren't up to the task. I keep doing it because I love the sauce in the winter months.

damian in nj likes this.
  5. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    bernieb likes this.