Soundgenerator 488 ! | FerrariChat

Soundgenerator 488 !

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Melvok, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Q's were posed in a mail about an unknown device that makes "more sound" inside the 488 cabin ... :D

What is it ?

Where is it ?

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    First mentionning/posting by sg1:

jbswiss likes this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Anybody who knows anything about this "sound machine " in the 488 ... is it also in the Portofino (all turbo's ? )

6. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Thx Melvok and sg1!

I think I wouldn't want I to completely remove those tubes...it's not like I hat the noise they make and most likely I would probably miss it...and put the tubes back

On and off switch would be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its been in Ferrari's for a long time in everything including the 599GTO and the F12 TDF. Its in Porsche's and many other cars. We have discussed this many times here posting pictures, schematics and part numbers on previous models. BMW uses sound over the radio which is pathetic but Ferrari uses a tube connected to each intake bank with a diaphragm or drum at the end that amplifies and transmit the noise into the cabin. Its a passive device that compensates for the quite cabin on a luxury performance car so you can better hear what going on under the hood. It combines with the exhaust, which has the same design goals, to create the sound and character of the engine. It is much more important in a turbo engine which needs all the help it can get.

jbswiss and Melvok like this.
  8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Sound enhanced through pipes are fine since the sound still sounds genuine.

It's when speakers play a fake noise that is really stupid. Ever sat in an M4 at full throttle? It's interior noise does not even closely match its exterior fart exhaust. It feels like two separate cars.

Caeruleus11, Melvok and Bas like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    All .. thanx for this info.

I am happy it is not (I hope) in my 458 ... being not a turbo :D

I find it stupid to artificial create noise/sound if it's not there .... it is sort of fake for me ...

Who likes this system ?

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    A rather philosophical discussion. Also your 458 has a "sound generator" because every (!!) exhaust is a sound generator so that the cars meet regulations (exhaust = silencer/sound converter of the explosion sound of an internal combustion engine). ;)

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    In a way ... maybe Daniel ...

But here are special tubes made to transport vibes from inside engine compartiment to the drivers seats !

Idiots ...

12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Why not Mel? Other cars do have a heavy mechanism just to open the rear window to hear a little bit better the exhaust sound... ;)

Joking aside, I'm basically with you Mel.
    But it is difficult to draw a line between meaningful and exaggerated, these are technical solutions that lead to a result, at the end it must please the owner.

Melvok likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, that's a consequence of the need for quiet ride in everyday situations which resulted in the use of more sound insulation. When you are on it though you want to hear that Ferrari engine and this system ensures just that. It's the best of both world really.

Melvok likes this.
  14. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    If it is not already being develop or occurring, at some point in time it will probably be an option or even standard in throaty sports cars to be able to control the level or even quality of engine music being pumped into the car. Not unlike your radio or AC. An engine note equalizer may follow. Brings new meaning to the term “auto tune.” In a limited sense, we already have this in some sports cars. Think “sport exhaust” button.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You mean: It may even be an option in a Tesla or other vacuumcleaner ... ?:D

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Well, in that case, it would have to be an actual sound generator as opposed to a conduit bringing engine note into the cabin.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Maybe (in future) you may choose "Aventador" or "LaF" etc ... you never know ... :D

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I can't swear by it, but I believe the 458 isn't equipped (as standard nor option) with a sound generator (as such, or as a 488). At least I have never heard of it and can't find a part number pertaining to that in any official blueprints/schematics of the car.

There is a difference between working the pipes and trying new materials to achieve perfect sound and pumping fake, forced engine notes onto the cabin. Unfortunately cars are getting more artificial by the minute.

Kind regards,

Nuno.