Source for 308 antenna mast | FerrariChat

Source for 308 antenna mast

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ClydeM, Jun 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My mast is kinked, so it won't fully extend or retract though the motor is fine.

Anybody have a source for replacement masts for a '83 308?
    anybody know how to fix them when they get like this?
    it's not too bad as I can "assist" the antenna up & down manually.

I've searched the archives, but some of the sources have turned up empty like Bosch.

thanks

2. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I went to Advance Auto when I had my 308 and got the whole works for $39.00. It worked and looked great. I would not worry about keeping it all original unless you are going to enter concours events with it.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bosch no longer makes a semi-automatic antenna. There may be NOS out there, but it will cost you $500 or so (insane in my book). Best thing to do, is order from here: http://www.antennaworld.com/ you need an S-41 which will connect right up. For a few extra dollars, you can order a black mast and black top cap and convert it to black (looks cool). But the standard ss mast looks fine like the stock unit.

Dave

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    When mine broke on my '84 QV, I got a Harada MQ-1 and it was an plug-and-play visually identical unit to the old Bosch.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, assuming that comes with various top cap shapes; flat, round, angled, etc., that is essentially the same as what I am recommending. And for $21 delivered, a good deal. I think the one I am recommending will be about $10 more with shipping...and they ALL seem to come from China these days...so they are all very likely the same.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
  7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    On my 308QV, the Harada's red wire goes to the Ferrari's wire that has tight red and white stripes. The Harada's green wire goes to the Ferrari's wire that has more white than red.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    On mine, both the Ferrari wires are identicle....white with Red stripes.

If I connect the Harada's Red to one (power), the green to ground, the antenna goes up. Reverse the connection (Red to ground, green to power) the antenna goes down.

You sure you didn't modify the Harada's internal wiring?

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I didn't modify anything... I suggest you try the red to one of the striped wires, and the green to the other. If that doesn't work, reverse them. Both my wires are red/white striped, but not quite identical in the striping. But Ferrari assemblers are known to just grab whatever was available at the time!

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Clyde,
    Are you sure you have a "semi-automatic" antenna? There shouldn't be much to wiring this up; just as Michael said.

Dave

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Here's pics (you can tell I probably should have trimmed the length on the wires, but I just left them as they came with the Harada unit). You can see what I meant by similar-but-different white/red stripes on the wires coming from the console switch.

12. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I have the same problem, I need help too.
    I have bought a Bosch antenna "7 691 240 742".
    This antenna does not work, needs a relay or to change the interuptor.
    I believe that the antenna that we needed is "7 691 240 673" so that as you go away in the scheme, it has two positives + and a mass -.

http://www.blaupunkt.es/download/HZUBEHOE.pdf

Greetings.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why not just get the antenna I suggested earlier in the thread? I installed it in my 328, connects right up, works perfectly.

Dave

14. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Alfredo,

Could you post a picture of the antenna you purchased (or email to me at [email protected])? Is the mast silver or black? Is the tip a black "barrel-like" shape?

I tried to order one of these (for 328) through Bosch & Blaupunkt here in USA they could not find this (or newer -732) part # in their inventory & would not order.

:) Carl

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Carl,
    Note that the right one pictured, does indeed resemble the oem Bosch antenna on a 328. See the two difference cap heads? The left one closely resembles the oem cap. Also, it appears to be semi-automatic, as a switch is pictured.

Dave

16. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Mr. Handa!

Sure does, doesn't it? Hoping a picture of the actual part will clear this up. Like you, I purchased an AutoJet "replacement" off Ebay hoping for the best (i.e. identical mast)...but did not match. Sold it to a gentleman using on an older Volvo. At this point I'd settle simply for an OEM mast. Bosch USA directed me to Blaupunkt USA, who were of no help. Apparently not available in this country.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Found out my unit was a Hirschmann Hit Auta 8600s
    I bought the Harada MQ1 Mike recommended: wiring was different.

I tore both appart to see if I could wire the Harada like the Hirschmann. Not a chance. Radically different motors.
    I can't swap masts, the Hirschmann uses a solid plastic Rope to move the mast & the Harada uses a toothed rope.

What to do?

I did this: unscrewed the tip of both masts, slid the mast bodies off the motors & swapped them. The ropes are only connected to the inner most metal piece, but the rest swaps. And my kink was in the outermost ring.
    put it all together, tada!!!!!!!

It does retract too far into the body...I think that's because the Harada mast is shorter than the original. I'll check later. But at least it works!

18. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Hi Dave

:( I had not read your previous thread.
    That antenna model you have put?
    I have bought this so that I read in the forum that was the suitable one. My problem is that I want to maintain the switch and the original operation original that allows to remove to the mastil whatever and when it wants.
    It is possible that I needed a relay to invest the polarity of one of the positives.

Carl

this is the photo of the antenna and of the wiring diagram, the mastil is not black, is silver.
    The distributor said to me who this model of antenna no longer makes, is necessary to look for it in the stock of the distributors.

Greetings

Alfredo.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That certainly looks exactly like the unit that was originally in my 328! Not sure why it is not working for you.

20. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Thank you very much, Dave

It is possible that it works well.
    Single I have proven it connecting cables, without installing it in the car, is possible that when not being putting it lacked ground and for that reason did not work well. I am going to connect it well.
    This is the electrical scheme of the antenna switch of the 328 version the USA 1989.

Greetings.

Alfredo.

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    FYI - feeling frustrated, I contacted a number of distributors off the Hirshman site. They were less than helpful.
    So, I called Hirshman to find out if the Auta8600 or it's replacement mast 920242-001 is still available. It isn't(last year for the mast 2002). A woman from Hirshmann is contacting her German Tech support group to see if there is a suitable replacement. I've also asked for a list of distributors so I can contact them to see if old stock is around.

I'll keep you folks informed.

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've only heard of Bosch units installed at the factory. I'd presume that a previous owner must have changed yours out before.

23. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for posting the pictures Alfredo.

I have a salvaged old AutoJet from TRutlands (marked 1986 Mondial). Two wire/one multi-connector to harness & mounting strap (body) ground. Grounding the body and applying 12v power to either wire would cause to extend/retract accordingly. I suspect since yours wasn't grounded when tested it probably will work fine.

Next question: any way I could convince you to part with it (*exactly* what I am looking for & unfortunately unavilable here in US). If not, any way I could convince you to pick up another one? (will of course fund everything). Can also throw in - hmm let's see...two recently acquired not-yet-friendly stray kittens, first born when available...etc. (smile)

(And oh for the 328 I have brand new AC reciever-dryer, coolant tank cap, aluminum-lined lug socket...take your pick(s)!)

[email protected]

24. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Carl,

I will ask the distributor if it has another antenna like mine. The price that I have paid has been 60 Euros + 16% of taxes.

In order to buy pieces of Ferrari 328 or others, the best is Ferrari UK.

You need to be registered with the number of frame of your Ferrari. When you are inside, looks for "spare parts".
    You got it all the quarterings of your Ferrari and they send pieces by means of Fedex to all countries.

Ferrari UK works very well.

Greetings

Alfredo.