Source of squeaking during slow 1st gear takeoff? | FerrariChat

Source of squeaking during slow 1st gear takeoff?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Mar 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    My '07 599 (67% clutch remaining @ 13,261 mi on 1/3/18) has been briefly squeaking during slow 1st gear takeoff; no noise at all at higher gears. I've got the manettino set either to icy or wet condition since it's still wearing summer Pirelli PZero tires in cold weather.

The high-pitch squeaking is brief (only on 1st gear which is driving me bonkers) which seems to emanate from the rear end and followed by what sounds like tires squealing, although tire slippage shouldn't occur under the icy or wet manettino settings, especially during slow takeoff; no ASR warnings either.

Could the squeaking be coming from 'cooked' wheel bearings or clutch release bearing or pilot bearing in the transaxle? Any ideas or experiences from our illustrious group? I briefly read here about a past post on a similar subject but can't find it again now since I've scheduled an annual maintenance service with Ferrari South Bay.

Specifically since I don't truly know how this car was driven/cared for by previous owners (only have Carfax and Ferrari service records from BH and SB), I bought a one-year Power warranty when I got the car. If so, the high warranty cost may partially pay for any expensive repair(s).

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Not the pilot bearing. It's the "bell housing" bearing. Sits at the rear of the bell housing. Need to be lock-tighted in position and (sometimes) staked. My 2007 Maserati F1 had the same problem. All of the tradition F1's have the bearing and some likelihood for the concern. Mine happened at almost the exact same mileage you are at.

- Jason (actual Ferrari and Maserati mechanic).

3. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks Jason.
    I will mention your diagnosis to Chris Bour, Service Manager of Ferrari SouthBay, when I see him tomorrow morning for my car's annual maintenance and repairs.
    Which Ferrari dealership or independent shop do you work for?

4. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Jason- is there significant labor involved with the lock-tight procedure you describe in the bell housing?

5. LewBlevins

LewBlevins Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lewis S Blevins, jr
    My long since traded 599HGTE had the same problem. It is the bell housing bearing. An approx $3 part...... but a $5000 fix. If you need a new clutch get it done at the same time.

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yes. It's basically the same labor as a clutch replacement. In fact, it's a good time to slap a new clutch in (as noted above) if you are getting close (half worn or more)...

Procedure highlights: pull lower covers, pull rear and central exhaust. pull (rear) transmission, remove torque tube (driveshaft to the layman), remove transmission bell-housing. Then, the work on the bearing is done on the rear of the transmission bell-housing. New bearing, lock-tighted in (red lock-tight).

Like I said, when you go this far, you may as well do new clutch (and perhaps flywheel), new clutch position sensor, new hydraulic throw-out bearing.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I do have a new clutch and pressure plate (OEM) in box if you need one. I didn't end up installing it when I did my 612 overhaul as I measured 85% clutch remaining from direct measurements/comparisons to new.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    And, the bearing isn't $3 but I get the point. It is more like $100 +/- $50.