South West (Devon) mechanic recommendations | FerrariChat

South West (Devon) mechanic recommendations

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by goodcoffeecode, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a mechanic in the South West, ideally Devon, to do some warranty work on my F355 please.

Thanks.

Blake UK 360 Buyer likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Carrs are the logical choice much recommended else check out a very similar current thread on Pistonheads (albeit for a Gallardo) which has thrown up a few more local names

3. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Interesting. I was under the impression that we should stay away from the main Ferrari dealers? I'll definitely give Carrs a call though. RH Tuning in Plymouth seems to be my next nearest.

4. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    Although I do my own maintainance(only a 308
    Although I have not used Carrs, as I do my own maintainace,I have only ever heard positive comments about them and should I acquire a later, more technical Ferrari,I would definitely use them.
    As regards avoiding Main Dealers,I think the majority will now match quotes from the Indy's.

goodcoffeecode likes this.
  5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’ll second Carrs. They serviced my 355 last year.

A lot of people swear by them for older tipos.

No reason not to use a main dealer; they do fixed price servicing and usually provide a discounted hourly rate for extra work.

I’ve also used Dick Lovett for my 348 and they have been good and honoured warranty items past 12 months.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe in some cases (DL), but not Carrs - they are simply THE BEST. You will not regret it. I used them for 8 years when I was living in Exeter, and if I still had a Ferrari, I would still be using them, even though I am now 130 miles away.

7. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Emblem were recommended to me by a fellow UK owner on here, he uses them for his 430 with no complaints.

8. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Carrs are collecting the car this afternoon. Thanks for all the recommendations :)

SJP 5, ajr550, A348W and 1 other person like this.
  9. goodcoffeecode

goodcoffeecode Karting

Dec 18, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Arnold
    Anyone remember the hourly rate they got charged at Carrs please? (and when).

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    This can vary a wee bit depending on a number of variable. From what I can figure, the older the cars, the more you have and the more you spend with them the lower the hourly rate!

But like you I’d never been there before and work was on my 355, think it was £120 or £140 an hour (inc vat).

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    That's probably a fairly accurate description! Mark does have a habit of discounting the number of hours if a job takes a long time, and there is definitely a lower rate for older cars. I have always found them to be very fair and no more expensive than a good independent. Plus, they do a good job: lots of accumulated expertise and low staff turnover help.

As testament to Carrs' level of service, this is worth a read: https://karenable.com/importance-of-a-great-dealership/

I had a similar story to Scott's with my 550 once, though I was on the outskirts of Exeter when it happened, so after we had been through the over-the-phone routine and it still wouldn't start, a black 458 pulled up behind me and out hopped Harvey (Carrs' head mechanic and a real genius), who had me on my way 10 minutes later. No charge!

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    John raises a good point; it not just the hourly rate, it’s the service you receive, the competency of the work and how they bill you!

Not all garages, main dealers and even some independents know what they are doing with these cars.

I was impressed in the level of detail Carrs went through my car and being an engineer I’ve got a good idea of what is involved in work etc.

What work are you having done? I take it it’s not just a routine service!

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  14. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    I have used Carrs for over 10 years on a couple of cars. Always happy. In 10 years I have never even seen the place, I only ever speak to Mark Ware on the phone and they then collect and deliver back.

As far as hourly rates are concerned, not a clue. I am only interested in the final bill, and Carrs will tell you (correctly) they are cheaper than most other main dealers. They always give the price prior and once agreed they stick to it. Its also nice to note that the staff appear to have all been there for years, both in admin and the technicians. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Forget hourly rates, it means nothing.

A348W and Bluebottle like this.
  15. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I would concur with this, having started going to Carrs in the last couple of years. They have a lower pricing rate for the ‘classics’ too, and you’ll save money through their knowledge of how to do the right things, right first time and in the most economical way. As a nice extra, they have great customer service, offer a courtesy car (usually a Maserati) and often offer test drives of the latest models.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    With
    With you all the way. For Modern and Classic Ferrari Carrs are great

I would venture that because of Carrs' approach we don't really need an independent on Devon.
    They even rebuilt the engine of my Lancia 8.32. How esoteric is that ?

Sent from my SM-G781B using FerrariChat.com mobile app