Spam Texts addressed to someone else | FerrariChat

Spam Texts addressed to someone else

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jahock, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jahock

jahock Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Since yesterday I have received three spam texts addressed to someone else. Different numbers, different messages (eg "I have a job that lets you work from home....; "Call now to win $1000...." but all three are addressed to William.

Of course there are links in the text as well as opt out numbers, I am not 'biting' on either of those. I know I can block and report the text to my provider. My concern is whether someone is using my number (and other financial data) and the name William for other purposes.

I have Googled to see if putting someone else's name in a text/email is part of the scam; no luck so far. Anyone here experience something similar?

Will likely get an updated credit report to be safe.

I try so hard to be stingy with giving out personal info!

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  3. jahock

jahock Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    thanks. I knew they were robo texts but the fact that it all were addressed to William is what made me a do a double-take.

4. Isabella

Isabella Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    I get the same thing! Except they refer to me as Randall. They are all from different numbers.

5. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Could be that someone made an identity up for some scam site and randomly entered a phone number... once your number gets on those lists it can take a while to exhaust their efforts.

6. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've been getting texts for Willy for over seven years. Even had a call one morning from a woman yelling 'Willy! She had the baby'. I'm not sure who Willy is but I know he owes a lot of debt and possibly has a child he's unaware of.