Spamming through Private Messages!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Spamming through Private Messages!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Private Messaging be removed for Non Subscribers?

1. No

2. Yes and I'm a Non Subscriber

3. Yes and I'm a Subscriber or w/same permissions

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not likely, should be very obvious it is spam, especially from a new user no one has heard of.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No spam here, but who wants to spam a whore...?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Trojan? Vagisil? Hustler Hollywood? You?

DL

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The spam i got was from a banned user....

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    From a banned user using an unbanned ID... a banned user cannot send PMs. But then that unbanned ID got banned as well. They can keep trying, but it will get reported... OR we'll start watching for it. Will be a very cumbersome way to spam.

Anyway, until it becomes an onslaught rather than a few isolated cases, I think the cons outweigh the pros substantially.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I like SPAM. Goes good with eggs. :)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree now, that's why I started this thread. I can't make the best decisions alone. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    No spam for Me either
    Dave Mc

9. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Same here. That's the only spam PM I've ever received. I vote no - there's no sense in fixing a problem that isn't one...

10. gfarrell@operamail.com

Aug 25, 2004
    Switzerland
    As far as I can see, only 100 of the 12,000 claimed members have responded to this question. In other words, it does not seem to be such a big problem after all.

I am registered and am quite pleased that I have the chance to communicate to other owners. I have already exchanged emails with Tom B, who like myself has a 1988 3.2 Modial. (one of 987 made).

Ferrarichat is a great forum for our community! Communication with owners is part of what makes it great.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think these two reasons alone would be sufficient to limit this act to a last resort.

I'm a subscribed user, and I have received spam PMs, twice in about four years. But the "delete" feature is easy to use, and I haven't heard about viruses being spread in the spam, so it's relatively harmless, compared to the flood of spam on regular email.

It would be, I'd think, much harder to maintain the site's standards if moderators couldn't send friendly warnings when users -- subscribed or not -- started crossing the line. If bannings come without prior warnings, the site becomes somewhat authoritarian and will be viewed as arbitrary (even if unjustly).

And forcing "hey was that you at IHOP last week" discussions back on the boards would increase the noise-to-signal ratio.

But for those who really feel the need to fix things that aren't broken, I think there are seats at the Congressional Investigation on Backward Record Masking -- Saving America from Dislexic Satanists. (Hey Congress -- can you say "CDs"?) :D

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Any way to limit non-subscribers to say 3 PMs per day? That would solve the span problem wouldn't it?

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Good idea. If the underlying plan is to encourage subscriptions then limiting features is the best way ;)