spec or age or mileage | FerrariChat

spec or age or mileage

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by marathon guy, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Not posted here for a while, but just sold my Califorornia and looking at getting a California T (thought about Portafino but prices a bit strong at present).
    Im interested in 3 cars (all similar price)
    2015 red with cream interior 30k miles 3 owners nice spec (LED carbon wheel etc)
    2015 white with red interior 25k miles 1 owner and better spec with more carbon (ie carbon centre etc)
    2016 tdf blue with tan interior 25k miles with HELE 1 owner with low spec and no led steering wheel and basic interior etc.

I would normally go for the newer car but will the lack of led carbon steering wheel / paddles and low spec be a problem at resale? will red and cream be a bit cliche these days (even though i still like it) and is white a popular colour.

Any opinions will be much appreciated as im hoping to make a purchase in next couple of weeks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you intend to keep it for more than about two weeks why not buy the one you prefer ?

whatheheck likes this.
  3. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    I'll keep the car for a few years, i normally do. I just really like all of them, i dont think ill miss the leds in the steering wheel, but i like the carbon wheel and paddles.
    I could see which one takes a lowest offer but they are quite a long drive from me so makes things awkward.
    Never driven a HELE car either....

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    All three have higher miles (for a Ferrari) In searching for My Cali T recently I found the cost savings for the higher mileage cars was not worth it That said get the car & options that turns you on. YOLO and the Cali T is an awesome sports car!

5. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    That is a good point re the miles - There was a black cali i wanted with only 6k miles for only a few k more, but it got sold.
    Saying that I have never had any issues with slightly higher mileage cars. till it comes to resale.

Most of these are a trade off with spec / mileage and age for a certain price and wondered what peoples opinions were re spec , mileage or age and which was more important for a given price.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    What is your budget range? You seem to be looking at higher mileage cars, which is going to limit the choices available. Personally, the spec was more important to me, but I didn't really care about interior carbon, I wanted shields, a cuoio (or other brown) interior, Magneride and 20" rims. I wouldn't have turned down a car with a carbon wheel, but it was not a factor for me. There is very little difference between 2015-2018 Cali Ts, aside from the 2017-18 Handling Speciale package. Most of these options you can also add after the fact.

You can save some $$$ with a higher mileage example, especially if you are going to drive it a lot ... buying a car with low mileage and then piling up the miles doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you want a car that's as close to new as possible and don't mind paying for it.

7. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    I wouldn't say i have a budget range but more a case of is it worth paying £10k more for a car with 10k less miles? or is it worth paying £5k less for a car without led carbon wheel.
    is magneride and 20" rims not standard on cali T's? I presume you cant add the carbon led wheel aftermarket? As you say i dont want a premium for a very low mileage car so im scared of putting miles on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    2016 year interested in this one but had no carbon led wheel and basic seats. 29k miles
    2015 red and cream nice spec but 3 owners and 32k miles
    2015 nice spec but not sure on white

8. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In the real world your options would be low mileage used cars, in the Ferrari world, even with the Cali T being a possible daily driver. You will lose more when its time to sell a 40-60 K Ferrari.(they don't sell fast or well) And if those miles cost you for any mileage related (typical wear items) Brakes, pads or heaven forbid new Carbon Ceramic Discs you lose your savings many times over. Again IMHO

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    All else being equal, I would go for a one owner car.
    All else being equal, I would go for a car with more complete maintenance records.
    All else being equal, I would go for the newest car.

Among your 3 choices - assuming you can live with the red interior (I could not, to be frank) - that would be the one I would choose.

However, if you really want my opinion, I would wait for "a black cali i wanted with only 6k miles for only a few k more, but it got sold" or something of that ilk. These are not extremely rare F-cars, and they're not going up in price. I would keep the search active - load every possible car app on your phone - and the next time a T like the one above pops up that you fancy, go all out and seal the deal as soon as you can...T

10. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Thanks tomc, the original car i was interested in was a black 2015 cali T with only 7k miles and only a few more £k on price, but it got sold quite quick which speaks volumes i guess, so as you say keep the search active.....

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Magneride is not standard, although most cars seem to have been specced with it. If it does not have the small button on the steering wheel with shock absorber graphic, it is not a Magneride car. The 20" rims are also no standard, but again, most seem to have them. You can add the carbon wheel later -- they pop up on eBay and here occasionally -- but apparently it is extremely expensive to have the dealer reprogram the car so that the LEDs will work.

Buy the car you like and turn off the odometer in the display by changing it to fuel range and just don't think about depreciation ;)

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think the fact that it sold quickly likely indicates your instincts on what is a "good" car/deal are correct. If it were me, for a weekend fun car, I would wait until "the one" materializes, and then get ready to move quickly. It's not like you are looking for some super specific unicorn spec. Good luck wth your search, and post up pics when you find "the one"!
    T

whatheheck likes this.
  13. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    They seem to come up quite frequent at present so as you say worth choosing the right one but dont want to be without one too long, but i remember over winter not many came up for sale.
    interesting about the mag ride. Does it make a big difference? also would it be more reliable without mag ride? (my shocks were replace before i bought my last cali).
    20" wheels are a must any smaller would look a bit odd probably (although not sure ive seen one without 20")
    Thanks re the steering wheel, thats good to know - what do you call expensive to reprogram the car, anyone any ideas? (or price for the steering wheel)?
    Thanks for these posts people learnt quite a lot (and ive been a mk1 cali owner for 2 years and didn't know these things, nor do most dealers ive spoken to)

14. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    If you look on FerrariChat, you will see many people will not buy a Ferrari without mag ride. I have not driven a Ferrari without it, so can not say what improvement there is over stock. But for many the option is a must.

15. bsawler

bsawler Karting

Dec 3, 2015
    Bay Area
    Also remember that 1 year newer means 1 year more included maintenance. And a cheaper cost to extend any warranty if you choose (or may still have it).

Of the 3 listed, I'd go with the Blue TdF, but that's also because I LOVE TdF (my next Ferrari certainly will be blue). But then I don't tend to buy based on resale, I get something I know I'll enjoy and eat whatever losses I get if/when it's time to move on to something bigger and better.

lucasines and Justicepool like this.
  16. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Good point bsawler re the maintenance. Do you know (or anyone else) how much ferrari warrenty costs? With Mclaren its silly money (around £5k a year now)
    I also love the Blue TdF , but always been a sucker for red and cream (although people say it marks easy), not sure on white.....
    Happy to eat the losses as someone else has already eaten most of the losses. (but still prefer to eat less losses obviously)

17. bsawler

bsawler Karting

Dec 3, 2015
    Bay Area
    I bought my 2016 CaliT a couple years ago and it was (if I'm remembering right) somewhere in the $5-7k range to add 2 years of warranty at the time. I could be horridly misremembering though.

18. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    For me here are the must haves in the order of highest prio first: HS package, Good Color, Apple Carplay, Premium Sound, led with steering wheel

Miles: anything less than 30k, the lower the better.

19. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
  20. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    HS package would be nice, but seem to be a bit rare and come with a big premium so not sure its worth the extra for me.
    my only 2 really likes would be carbon driver zone with leds and badges on wings (as it seems to be a resale requirement). Do people know if the paddles in carbon are part of the carbon steering wheel with leds?
    Also my first choice Cali T has HELE, but i really dont want it , anyone here have any opinions on it and was it an option after a certain date or standard?
    thanks

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think early HELE can be switched off and comes with a stronger battery - older threads may confirm

22. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    checking through older threads it appears it can be be turned off overhead via a switch, but would this have to be done everytime you drive the car? i cant find on internet search or ferrari chat if this is so. anyone here have HELE? it could be a factor on purchasing a cali with HELE. it sounds like it drains the battery and is pointless.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, every time. At least on my 11 Cali. I like to wait 5 seconds between turning the key and hitting the red button - to give the software time to go through its checks - and I use that time to turn off HELE. It has some positive features per some threads here in addition to emissions benefits. I just don't like the car stopping and starting. I'm paranoid it'll not restart!
    T

24. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Thanks T, good to know, as you say i always wait for the checks to finish before starting the car.

25. mjk33062

mjk33062 Rookie

Feb 21, 2016
    Carbon paddles are part of the Carbon Fiber Driver Zone, they are not part of the Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel. I have the Carbon Driving Zone, but would not get hung up on only having the Carbon Steering Wheel.

My opinion on must haves in order of importance: 1. Carbon Fiber Wheel (Driving Zone a plus) 2. HIFI stereo (yes the car sounds nice, but when you spend this kind of money get the good stereo) 3. Magnaride (I never use it, but they say you need it for resale) 4. Ferrari Shields 5. Horse stitched on headrest (Too plain without it) 6. Any upgrade to the wheels (The base wheels in darker grey or black look pretty good on certain colors) 7. Sport Exhaust Pipes.

These are just one man's opinion, and it goes without saying, a color you like.

As far as the miles, the price of labor and material on Ferrari maintenance is outrageous, you will most likely spend more than your savings on added maintenance if you buy a car with more than 25k miles relative to a car with 10k miles.