Special service after track day necessary? Plus question on tires | FerrariChat

Special service after track day necessary? Plus question on tires

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Petrolhead#32, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Hi there.

I bought my 2013 458 Spider 2 weeks ago. 10k miles, last service in August 2020. I now have about 11k miles and the track day last week at Thunderhill (had a blast, see pix attached!), so now I have a couple of question for the forum:

1) Would you recommend a specific check up service because of the track day? I'm thinking of Roselli (https://www.rosellifcr.com/) who's very close to where I live in San Jose, CA.

2) What do you recommend reg tires? I will use the 458 mostly as DD but plan to track it at least twice a year, so I'd like some versatility. I now have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport K1. They are in good shape, but felt pretty slippery (especially compared to my other car, a 2018 GT3 with Cup 2s). I feel like the Cup 2s are a nice compromise as I also use the GT3 for DD and some track days. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thx a lot in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I would think that shop could provide some guidance on this question. But I’d be inclined to change the brake fluid. It would definitely need to be checked for signs of overheating. Did your brake pedal feel change at all during the day?
    Other than that, it’d probably just be checking all the other fluid levels and inspection for evidence of overheating. If you went off track you may want any coolers/radiators blown out- Thunderhill is pretty dusty. They’ll probably also check your brake pad thickness and inspect for signs of overheating/ scoring.

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  3. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Hi Kylec, thx for your thoughts and recommendations.

The car felt great from start to finish. No signs of overheating at all. I ran 5 20-min sessions. Now I didn't really push it as hard as I usually do (when I track my GT3), and so the only thing I felt towards the 5th session was a lack of grip, but I think with the Super Sport K1s it's expected. I didn't go off track either.

So I'll visit them next week and ask them about fluids as you suggest and anything else. If I learn something new, I'll post it here.

Thx again!

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Roberto is a good friend of me. He knows his stuff but he is slow, takes too
    Many cars and ur car will be dirty.

I love the guy and we are friends. I vouch for his work but... be ready ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Appreciate it but I ended up going to Juan at Grand Prix Motorsports in Campbell. 10 min away from my place and also highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Can’t go wrong with Juan, he is also a good friend. Probably less known than roselli but he has less cars so it’s easier to get work done;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk