Speciale Market | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    It is going to be interesting what happens to the price of Speciales once the Pista becomes available. No doubt that some will sell their Speciales to get a Pista but I believe that most will keep them. In fact, I believe that the astronomical price of the Pista will drive Speciale prices up. The price gap between the two is going to be significant and hard to justify considering how good the Speciale is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

458-Italia likes this.
  2. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I agree,
    I'll keep my Speciale and my Pista will be delivered on march 2019
    Speciale prices will probably increase
    Pista prices probably dépends on future models (F173)

3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Uh huh, and how many F40s did they make?

4. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

You sound a lot like a guy hoping they won’t go up so you can buy in..... pretty common around these parts.

I stand by my 1 million future value estimate.

It’s that good. You also haven’t thought of the future valuation of the dollar with our defecit issues in the country.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They made like 1500 F40s, but there aren't 15K more slightly lesser F40s that look nearly identical and sound better.

The Speciale is a 458. The F40 is an F40.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    3k is a **** ton of cars. So is 1200. Imagine what an f40 wld be worth if they made the same number of 288s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For comparison sake, they made about 1300 Porsche CGTs which A) sounds amazing, B) is not a shared platform, and C) is about as analog as you can get.

15 years later and that car still isn't anywhere near $1M, and that's 10 years into the world's longest and biggest bull market with record low interest rates.

A Speciale will be worth $1M some day, but we'll all be too old and dead for it to matter.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my 16M

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Once again you show your utter ignorance about the Speciale.

Never mind, believe what you want. I’ll go drive mine, you go look at pictures.

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No, I haven’t thought about dollar value.
    And no, I don’t think your price is realistic.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Okie dokie

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can only offer my humble opinion. I think there are simply more people who are buyers at the Speciale pricing level.

I have been told by several dealers and brokers in the US and Europe that most of today's buyers want easy to drive and enjoy cars. It's taken me some time, but I am forming a theory that says these buyers are not so interested in cars with transmissions other than DCT. If I am correct, then this means there is a demarkation point for the first generation of DCT cars (FF/F12, California/458) and those that came before (612/599, F430).

Thus, the Speciale is in a (relatively!) approachable price point, is the first of the modern special series, makes all the right noises, is great looking, has near universal praise... If I am a Ferrari buyer with ~350k to spend, I could deploy it with a 488 GTB, it will be faster, maybe I prefer the looks better. But it will depreciate more than the Speciale. With the Speciale I get to say I have the last NA V8 and I am holding my value better. I think thats very attractive to a solid number of people.

To go with my theory, cars like the 599 GTO, SA, Barchetta, all wonderful, but they don't land as often, or as high, on today's buyers' wish lists.

I think the TDF got really hot, its really incredible, but its likely to keep pulling back a bit. 799 is a big enough number that there will be cars out there and likely the people who just had to have them at very high prices have already made their purchases. I think TDFs will do pretty well though, its very special.

Its a little similar with LF, but I think it will always be a Ferrari Supercar, which is the ultimate.

In the end the only car advice I've ever heard that has stood the test of time: buy what you love (to drive/ look at etc) because the values will move around.

galt likes this.
  15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Wow, even though I don't know noone1, but I think your comment toward him is uncalled for and rude.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So you're saying there is another car as similar to the F40 as the 458 is to the Speciale?

Just accept the fact that your Speciale is a 458 and the F40 is not anything but an F40.

17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    By this logic a F12TDF is a F12 ?

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Your objection is noted.

19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

By that logic a Challenge Stradale is just a 360. A Scuderia is just a 430 Coupe

How much does a 2015 458 coupe sell for in the market vs a Speciale?

Money talks and ******** walks.

I rest my case.

20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I think trying to predict future values for cars is about as productive as trying to predict future value of stocks. In the end, there are too many unknown variables to allow you to make an accurate prediction. But like most assets, if you hold it long enough, and take good care of it, it's bound to go up. I'm a Speciale owner, and am hopeful it goes up. But that's not the reason I bought the car. I bought the car because I think it is the best-driving modern Ferrari ever made. I like the way it makes me feel during and after driving it. Anything that puts a smile on my face as often as the Speciale has already provided adequate ROI, the rest is gravy.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Of course it is and that's why it is worth far less than the truly unique models. If the F12 didn't exist, and they only made 500 F12TDF, it would be worth 2x as much. The F12 does exist and therefor the premium is what it is. Now if they made 3000 TDF, they'd be under MSRP right now.

Hmm, and what do you know, somehow a 360CS and a 430Scud aren't worth $1M.

I didn't say they are identical, I said your Speciale will never be anything close to an F40 in perceived value because they made a ton and it has more in common with a 458 than not. It's not a truly unique model. It is a 458. It's even called the 458 Speciale.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I would say yes to this - and an F12 TdF will never be considered a match for a LaFerrari.
    On the other hand, unlike the Speciale, the TdF is limited (and this is currently very important for the price, as is proven by the huge gap between the Speciale and Speciale Aperta), and the TdF benefited a lot more engineering than the Speciale (with a reworked body and rear wheels steering).

dustman likes this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    TDF tops on my future Ferrari's to own list (after the next recession):

1. TDF
    2. Dino
    3. F40
    4. FXXk

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We shall see. I'll go drive mine now.

25. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    agreed, and you and I will be battling it out for those TDFs! Although you can scratch Dino off my list, not for me.