Speciale Market | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Too much free money around... Unreal and will adjust.

ScottS likes this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Any idea what this FL site shows for a car that was titled in FL but sold to CA (or some other state)? I’ll be on the lookout as I just purchased my Speciale out of FL and titled it in CA about 3 weeks ago. There’s no update for my car on that FL site yet.

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    One more possibility, if the person who purchased is a licensed vehicle dealer, the car could be on "dealer plates" and not titled, but still being driven around.

So, might take a bit longer to show up, but check with your Ferrari dealer periodically to see if they show any service records on the car and where it was being serviced...

Sleuthing is time consuming!

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Here’s the last comment the “buyer” made when responding to all the congratulations. It at least seems to bode well for the transaction being finalized.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No clue, but please keep us updated if/when it changes! I like the idea of title update for BaT auctions to see what may have fell through...I just don't have an unlimited Autocheck/Carfax account to check and who knows how long the FL DMV takes...hopefully not years. If that silver car didn't sell for $575k then I don't see it relisted for sale anywhere which would be odd, too. Could be an export like previously mentioned. Places like zillow make it easy to look up homes and that info, but for cars basically impossible...

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Your absolutely right on the never titling it thing. However exporting shows up on Carfax.

JTSE30 likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    BAT would normally re-list a car shortly after (within a month or two) if sales fell through. I've seen it happen a few times.

Unless of course, it was a scheme between two parties to drive up valuation (shill-bidding) for the cost of $5k.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Maybe Ive been in the car business too long... But... Typically on an auction you aren't talking about how great everyone is so you increase your competition.

I actually find suspect that he is talking about how great the car and or seller is prior to the end of the auction. Now people can be stupid... But typically the yearn for personal gain outweighs stupidity.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    At the end of the day, the availability of "desirable" cars on the market is scarce. It's a seller's market and the owner of said scarce/desirable car can ask whatever he wants. He'll know if he's reasonable or not in today's market. Ask high, work from there :).

JTSE30 likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    BTW. Sales falling through can work both ways. Not just for high prices.

I've heard of cases where a few 355 owners listed cars for sale for a certain ask price. First buyer/caller agrees to buy at said price and leaves a deposit. Seller continues to get a bunch of calls and sees auction prices rising. Decides to remove car from sale and return deposit to buyer. Basically, sales falling through because initial ask was too low :).

JTSE30 likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Does anyone here have an unlimited autocheck/carfax to run that silver 458 that went for $575k to see if it is indeed titled elsewhere and that the FL DMV is just really slow?

That yellow 1996 355 GTS in Europe with carbon seats was really nice. :) Looks like that Fchatter got to it, which is good to see.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Euro-market car for a euro-market buyer (Fchatter is in Netherlands). Good for him, but they're still way behind out there :).

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  13. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Was discussing with a friend whether today's white Florida Speciale outcome was legit. It's certainly possible to have a shill keep bidding until he wins, since the fee to BaT is only $5K and there's no requirement that a sale be completed between the seller and the winner. That strategy might set the market for a car that the parties truly want to sell. It's a little suspect that minutes after the auction closed today, another Speciale popped up on BaT - also based in Florida. I have no knowledge that anything shady actually occurred on the white car or that the winner of the auction won't in fact buy the car, but if the BaT platform was going to be used to manipulate the market, this would be the playbook.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    This one? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-ferrari-458-speciale-9/

It was listed at McLaren of Orlando (oddly enough which is in Titusville next to NASA) recently for a while. 2,946 miles ask $485,880. Now listed with only 3 miles more to give an idea of how recent it was. It was on DuPont Registry and their website, but since pulled since that BaT auction. Likely on consignment as it looks like the owner has been involved with that dealer back in Oct when they did this cool photoshoot with a Ford GT: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVVh1VOJQ2i/?utm_medium=copy_link

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That comment was posted 9 minutes AFTER the auction was closed. The winning bidder was just responding to all the congratulations from the peanut gallery which is de rigueur for BAT.

ScrappyB, Il Tifoso and ShineKen like this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Maybe, but here’s the last 15 minutes of bidding history on the car. There were 4 different bidders willing to pay $556,458 for the car (plus the $5,000, transport, and applicable taxes/fees). It’s clear that there was significant heat on the car, and the spec resonated. Two-owner car, with low miles. Seems like a lot, but for a “grail car” purchase what’s another $50-100,000 to get what you want, when you want it??

$601,458 bid placed by ctracer18
    $600,458 bid placed by m00nZiILLA
    $599,458 bid placed by ctracer18
    $591,000 bid placed by m00nZiILLA
    $590,000 bid placed by ctracer18
    $580,000 bid placed by elux87
    $575,000 bid placed by ctracer18
    $556,458 bid placed by ohiolion
    $555,000 bid placed by elux87
    $552,458 bid placed by ohiolion
    $551,000 bid placed by elux87
    $550,000 bid placed by ctracer18
    $530,000 bid placed by ohiolion
    $525,000 bid placed by ctracer18

ScrappyB and Il Tifoso like this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well then...

This curmudgeon stands corrected.

Thank you for setting the record straight!

Il Tifoso and Thecadster like this.
  18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Who knew the Cavallino was one of the horsies of the apocalypse?

The other being the Kia Telluride going over sticker.

technom3 likes this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm selling work truck spec f350s for over sticker and a Ferrari 812 substantially back of sticker. Go figure.

20. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
  21. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    I love the skepticism and search for truth from FChatters! Any insights from the auction history of the winning bidder for the $575k Speciale sold on BAT?

Auction Wins (6)
    29k-Mile 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 6-Speed
    Winner – 3 bids to $168,000 on December 3, 2021

No Reserve: 1968 Toyota 2000GT
    Winner – 3 bids to $850,000 on November 2, 2021

1995 Ferrari F355 Spider 6-Speed
    Winner – 1 bid to $70,000 on October 14, 2021

1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe Anniversary Edition
    Winner – 5 bids to $75,000 on October 6, 2021

1984 Ferrari 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole
    Winner – 2 bids to $72,500 on October 6, 2021

2k-Mile 2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale
    Winner – 16 bids to $575,000 on August 27, 2021

Il Tifoso likes this.
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I was not sure the reason for your post so I looked.

All were 'won' by the same bidder

https://bringatrailer.com/member/pedersen/

plastique999 and Il Tifoso like this.
  23. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Yes, same bidder.
    My mistake, my post was prompted by these inquiries, which I should have quoted at the outset. Appears that Speciale sale is/was legit, as bidder went on quite a buying spree of notable cars, no?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  24. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    That is the definition of stupidity. Raising the price for yourself and the other buyers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. LordVader458

LordVader458 Rookie

Aug 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lord Vader
    What am I missing here? I have my 2015 speciale listed at the dealership when the BaT auction was going on for considerably less and the dealer has had no action on the car. The white car and my car are almost identical in terms of specs. The BaT car goes for over $600k and then all of a sudden the bottom feeders come out wanting to buy my car. Suspect it’s brokers and speculative buyers but why won’t anyone make an honest bid to the dealership but spend stupid money on the auctions? Any insight?