Speciale Market | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Sorry, I believe you are confused, the 458 Speciale is the best and last NA V8 ever made in a regular production Ferrari, is the same exact engine in the Aperta so the "model" in this case is irrelevant, the Aperta is more value due to its LE status. Because the Speciale engine is different and better than the Italia engine the 458 Italias/Spiders are not the last NA V8 engine, so no doubt about that.

I think it is rather unusual you are believing the 458S and 458SA engines are somehow not identical, please explain. All my sources indicate that they are identical and therefore the engines in both are the same and therefore the 458S possesses the last NA V8 (outside of some 1:1 car that would probably would cost well in excess of $2M USD to have Ferrari produce and is therefore irrelevant as unobtainium).

2. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    The Speciale/A has Ferrari's latest and arguably greatest NA V8 - nobody's saying the very last Ferrari NA V8 out of the motor station was put in a Speciale - although it's highly likely. We're saying that the motor they put in the Speciale is the best Maranello has ever made available to average Ferrari Joe and will almost certainly be the last NA V8 and we think it's something special. If you drive one, you'll realize we're right.

I think dmark1 is wondering why you're on a Speciale Market thread making comments that most would take as derogatory to the car's value. It's not wrong to have a different view of the Speciale market, but it happens all the time - someone in the market for a certain car tries to convince the audience that the car isn't as valuable hoping to reduce expectations and drive down prices. Sounds like that's not the case with you, but it is a tad annoying when someone does it.

Just curious how your F12's V12 (assuming your profile is accurate) is more "last" than my Speciale's NA V8? Awesome motor and car, but Ferrari trumped it with the 812's V12 - they have not made a NA V8 since the Speciale/A.

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I gave you the facts and they are undeniable. I also gave you my honest opinion of the market for this car. You may believe what you wish. Good luck with your potential sales or purchases. With respect to the question posed as F12 lasts, you will have to do that research for yourself. Best.

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Perhaps it is best if Ferrari speaks for themselves:

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/past-models/458-speciale/#innovations

A Ferrari this special demands an exceptional engine. Making 597 hp at 9000 rpm, it the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever built at Maranello. Specific output - horsepower per liter of displacement - is a world record for a road-going, naturally aspirated engine, at 133 hp per liter.
    SPECIFIC POWER OUTPUT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

CV/L

To generate the additional power over the 458 Italia's engine, every component was ambitiously re-examined. Compression rises to 14.0:1 with new pistons, combustion chamber shape is revised, a carbon-fiber intake manifold uses shorter runners, intake ports are reshaped, new camshafts net greater intake and exhaust valve lift and a new airbox made from carbon-fiber is employed. Individually, all subtle changes. As a group, they equal an increase of 35 hp.

vis-a-vis

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/past-models/458-speciale-a/#innovations

A limited-production Ferrari of this type demands an exceptional engine. Making 597 hp at 9000 rpm, it the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever from Maranello. Specific output is a world record for a road-going, naturally aspirated engine: 133 hp per liter.
    SPECIFIC POWER OUTPUT

CV/L

To generate additional power over the 458 Italia, components were ambitiously re-examined. Compression rises to 14.0:1 with new pistons, combustion chambers and intake ports are reshaped, a new carbon-fiber intake manifold uses shorter runners, new cams net greater valve lift and a new carbon-fiber airbox is employed. As a group, they equal an increase of 35 hp.

Rest assured, according to Ferrari, the 458S and 458SA use the identical engine, the last and most powerful NA V8 Ferrari ever made, that is the undisputed fact.

5. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    Looking for a 2015 Speciale - Rosso Corsa w/ NART stripe, Red/Black interior, Red calipers, yellow tach, nicely optioned, low miles. Don't need to have <1000 mile car and don't really want to pay the premium for it but don't want something with more than 3,500 miles. Will still consider a <1000 mile car if someone has one that is exactly what I want though. If anyone has any leads please message me. Thanks.

6. MARANELLONATION

MARANELLONATION Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    North Andover Ma. 01845
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Ferrante
    What are you willing to pay for what you want since "don't want to pay a premium"...I have your specs in a 2014 with 1200 miles....call me 978-851-0400 Boston area

7. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    It depends on the car. I am willing to pay a fair price for what I want but I don't personally value any Speciale coupe at $400,000 or close. I don't want to draw any fire from anyone as I am only speaking about my personal view.

Afonsolaw and Napoli like this.
  8. 488GTS

488GTS Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    U.K.
    You will have to pay what the market demands!! (if you really want one!) Not sure what that is in the US but they are selling for well over £300k in UK still. Was at the Pista launch yesterday and the Speciale in the showroom stole the show!!!

Clay512TR and Shack like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In mainland Europe they go for less, around €300K (+/- 10%, mainly depending on mileage). The market is currently stable, with a very slight downward trend. I think at current prices the demand is not huge, but most owners do not really need to sell, so prices do not move down. As said above, one has to look at the market to set the right price. Personnally I think prices have not bottomed yet, but they will probably never go down much, and eventually they will go up again - all may take some times, so buying at the (real) current market prices should not be bad for the long term.

10. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    crinoid likes this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Sorry for the car you want youre going to be paying 400k or maybe a tad less (385?). It will look like a bargain in 10 years trust me.

See: F40 valuation change for further information.

StoryBook likes this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What was your MSRP? What would the number have to be?

13. Ced357

Ced357 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Parkland FL
    I'm prepared to loose big on my Speciale as I drive and track it every chance I get. I can't own this car and be fearful of mileage, it's too much fun. Crossing 10k miles in her shortly.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Any photos of this car you plan to lose your ass on? :D

I probably still can't afford it but you never know;)

15. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
  16. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    If that is what the market is then that is what I will have to pay. I think my post was taken a little bit the wrong way. It seems that the cars with <1000 carry an additional premium over cars that have broken that threshold. I do want to drive the car some so don't want to pay extra for a car with <1000 miles. Maybe I am wrong and it's all the same until you get to a higher mileage threshold.

Also, it seems that cars in launch colors actually seem to bring less money and draw less interest than the more unique combinations. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Caeruleus11 and dustman like this.
  17. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I don't think launch colors draw less money, if any they on average will get more.

Launch colors are a safe option, since everyone is familiar and recognizes them. However, the drawback is that most Speciale's appear to have been configured in launch colors, so if someone is looking specifically for launch color, he has a lot of options to choose from. With that said, I do notice that many launch color Speciales appear to be stripper specs, which leads into their lower asking prices (which might be what you're seeing).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    I didn’t realize that until very recently when another enthusiast pointed it out but you are absolutely right and I appreciate you bringing it up.

Now that I know more about what I’m looking at I don’t think I have come across a launch color car yet that has had anything more than the very basic options.

Did anyone get the gold wheels on their car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I have seen Corsa Red + NART stripes (aka Launch Edition) with carbon lined engine bay and carbon Nolders and carbon air intakes at front nose, suspension lifter, handy fire bottle, different color rev counters, full leather and more, they are out there, the inventories move, the number of cars for sale at any one time stay approximately even (narrow range between 15-25 cars listed on big sites, not included sold units being advertised as lead generation). Further, cars at Ferrari dealers seem to move quicker than non-dealers, probably because of bad experiences at some and maybe because Ferrari Financial Services (FFS) has more finance options than non-dealers (better than 3rd party lenders) and ability to sell Ferrari CPO and other extended warranty.

20. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yes I got gold wheels on my Rosso Scuderia Speciale as well as some other options like tailor made stripe, carbon engine etc.

early morning in the hills behind maranello

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    Your car looks great. I love the gold wheels and your bespoke stripe.

Which interior option did you select? Did you get any of the extra leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have no radio, 4 point harness and alcantara steering wheel. I didnt want the leather option as it should be as much racecar as possible.

Afonsolaw and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

Agree,no radio or anything that adds weight on mine.Harnesses and fire extinguisher inside.
    What is the tricolour feature on driver side floor on yours ?

24. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Custom Made Carpets done by Exoticare.ca (FChat Sponsor) to match the stripe :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    chrixxx, that Italian stripe is wild - any pics of the top of the car and the front?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - gold wheels rule!!!