Speciale Sound Crisis | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Speciale Sound Crisis

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by clar, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I can't stop smiling Chris, IT SCREAMS now I have a Kline Innovation valved inconel X pipe with 100 cell cats its really the best of both worlds, in fact I can't stop myself driving the car currently, which is a pity as I'm approaching 10K km and I plan to sell it sooner or later. Here is a short Video in 1st gear to 7 K rpm which by no means does it justice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq59i1g8h4g&feature=youtu.be

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Yes :)

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    The difference, and performance, of a Speciale series engine compared to the base
    series are actually quite minimal. Downforce created by all the aero is the only significant improvement.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    - its all about finding the balance, most stuff that sounds fab at high RPM usually sounds dreadful at low RPM

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
  6. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

Pure art

7. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Im actually a bit disappointed in the sound of my new Speciale. I had the valves switched to open upon delivery but all that does is make it slightly louder at low revs. I think its perhaps the lack of higher pitch and not the volume. I will say that at really high revs it does sound better but mid range is not that great. I love the car otherwise and think its incredible.

Im not interested in putting aftermarket stuff on the car at present due to all the warranty issues here in the US. I know about the Magnuson-Moss Act etc but was told by my dealer expressly not to do it so don't want to deal with it. I have a couple of questions based on other posts in this thread.

Is the consensus that the exhaust sounds better as it breaks in? I know at least one person has said that it does.

Did anything ever materialize from Ferrari telling the original poster about a different oem exhaust coming out?

8. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Heard from my dealer that there might be a different exhaust available - actually less loud for use on European racetracks...

9. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This is consistent with the 458 Italia/Spider. There is a quieter OEM exhaust.
    http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/wp-content/genuine-assets/en_EN/P000000114_en_458_Italia_Silencers_for_track_use.pdf

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Me too. I know exactly how you feel. I have 1100 miles on mine and I can't detect any difference in the exhaust sound.

I don't like messing around with after market parts either, but the stock exhaust sound is completely unacceptable. I'm going to try Capristo 200 cell cats with the stock exhaust. Fchatter Chrixxx literally installed several different exhaust systems on his Speciale (Novitec, Frequency Intelligence and Capristo) and he ended up going with a relatively unusual setup (100 cell cats and the stock exhaust). He's very happy with the end result. Not crazy loud, but a LOT better sound throughout the rev range.

The chance of being hassled by Ferrari in the three year warranty period is minor so I'm going to take my chances and argue with them later if necessary :)

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My dealer orders Novitec or Capristo direct and no warranty issue on exhaust or minor suspension (lowering springs)changes.

12. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    After two trackdays and approx. 3000 miles the sound did change. But I understand there are some owners that will need years to make it to that point...

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk

13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I think your dealer must be less stringent than mine. Il have another talk with them. At most was considering cat back exhaust. Im just amazed how much worse than the regular 458 it sounds in terms of tonality. Guess its due to the shorter length pipes? Maybe even cat back won't do anything.

14. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I understand your concern given the strong position your dealer has seemingly taken. But it's totally unreasonable for them to pressure you not to make any changes. Replacing the exhaust (cat back) is harmless. I was going to try that first, but fchatter Chrixxx gave a lengthy description of his observations after testing several exhausts on his Speciale. Look for his post...it's earlier in this thread.

I also PM'd Chrixxx for more insights. Him and others have told me changing the stock cats (which I believe are 800 cell) to less restrictive cats (Chrixxx opted for 100 cell, but I decided to try 200 cell) has a much bigger impact on the sound than changing only the back box. But I contacted Frequency Intelligence and asked them their thoughts. They said that straight pipes (naturally) and their back box makes the most extreme sound, but they also said even their back box with OEM cats would be an improvement. You should consider trying Frequency Intelligence back box alone. It's harmless. Let us know what you decide :)

15. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    Jun, I had the same exact reaction as you. Too the point that I didn't drive my car that often. I have to disagree with bigblock. My mechanic and dealership in Los Angeles have won the GT classes with their 458. They stated there is nothing to burn off (packing) in the exhaust to change the sound with mileage. At that point I decided to change the exhaust system.

I have done a cat less set up from FI. It is now truly epic! With 3k+ miles, including track days, I have not had any CEL lights. The cats are the biggest effect on sound. You will get better sound (and performance) from changing the cats with stock box than you will changing the box and leaving the stock cats.

Besides the exhaust... The car is simply amazing and this one will never be sold!

Enjoy!

16. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Robert. I remember when you first posted your impressions about your Speciale's stock exhaust sound. You disliked it so much you didn't even want to drive it until you changed it. I couldn't understand such a strong reaction...until I got my Speciale. LOL. I also disliked the exhaust sound so much that I stopped driving it. Fortunately my Speciale is being delivered to R3 today. I'm going to replace the OEM cats with 200 cell cats and keep the back box. If I'm still not satisfied then I'll replace the back box with a Frequency Intelligence Ultimate Race exhaust. Your Speciale looks great lowered. Rudy is going to lower mine also.

17. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I'm one of the odd ones out on this topic. I love the sound of my Speciale with the stock set up. The only thing I've done is added an exhaust valve switch. It is very different from the 458 but with a change to just about every major engine component and a compression ratio of 14:1 it should sound different, I'd be upset if it didn't. I find it to have a very 'mechanical' sound, almost like you can hear the engine internals working. At high RMP WOT.. it's musical to me. To each their own!

18. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    What was missing to me was that "aggressive, ripping" sound when down shifting at high revs.

Watch/listen to this Speciale with straight pipes and a Frequency Intelligence Evolution exhaust. The first two minutes is hard to watch (guy revs the crap out of the engine), but go to 1:50 and watch/listen :) Especially listen to the downshifts.

http://youtu.be/pRYwnTvi3UE

19. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Thanks Il look for the chrixxx post from earlier in the thread. Il also look for posts on back box changes with OEM cats as well.

20. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Thats good insight on the packing in the exhaust. Agreed on the car being amazing otherwise. Il be keeping this one for awhile.

21. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    And here is my stock Speciale and a stock F12 a few weeks ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjeyMM85mE4

The sound from my cheap camera phone sucks but hey..

22. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I do not think it sounds bad at all.

23. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian

No it doesn't....but it disappoints sound wise compared to the stock Italia.

24. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting..
    I came from a 13 spider to 15 specialeA, bypass switch installed on both, if any Aperta has nicer tone at idle, noticeably louder when on the throttle, anytime past 7K rpm it's just sick.

25. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Just to confirm, are you saying you like the SpecA sound?