Speciale Sound Crisis | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Speciale Sound Crisis

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by clar, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1 His car sounds outstanding. If only the tuner shop would call me back ;)

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Finally got around to installing Tubi Straight Pipes on my Speciale. Wow..I'll be back soon with a video. Crisis solved.

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I am happy with the improved sound of my Speciale with 200 cell cats. BUT if I ever want more, then straight pipes is next on my list :) I've never heard a Speciale in person with straight pipes, but I've listened to the youtube videos of that Marlboro livery Speciale in Monaco about a million times! Fantastic!

https://youtu.be/3skeFbZV8RU?list=FLa9ppGpHZezb2lx8GgrMftA

Are you going to keep the OEM back box? I think Robert installed straight pipes and a Frequency Intelligence back box.

Do you have to worry about passing periodic smog tests in AZ? In California we do, and I don't think a Speciale will pass with straight pipes. Robert told me that he'd just swap back in the OEM cats if necessary to pass smog tests. Major PITA, but if that's what it takes then so be it :)

BTW, I assume you will get Check Engine Lights, right? How are you going to deal with that?

Can't wait to hear your video!

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ah wait... Let me correct myself. straight pipes from the cats back. In other words cats are there and all mufflers are gone.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Of all the combinations and permutations I've considered or read about, I never though about your particular set up. I wouldn't have thought that removing the back box (muffler) would have made a big difference since the mufflers are essentially bypassed when the bypass valve is activated at around 4,000 RPMs.

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Looking forward to hearing your video!!

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That video is on my all-time favorite list. It's such a blast, and the sound..... THE SOUND!!!! :)

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Big difference and sounds really good. I had the bypass before and made the mistake of not making a before video.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #359 Challenge64, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015

Holy **** what exhaust is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Long story LOL.. for starters you have to have the original 2010 ecu map
    for pops and crackles :D

12. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Was that shot the morning of the Ferrari 60th BH celebration?

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Good eye, and ear! :)

14. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I may have actually heard you that morning. ;)

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    How do you know that without a before and after dyno check? On atmo engines power/torque is reduced where a reduction in back-pressure interferes with the scavenging effect. The cats are a big part of that equation.

16. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    I said 'perceivably', implying that my butt dyno did not register a
    perceivable increase :) an actual dyno might..

17. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    LOL!
    Beverly Hill's residents didn't need an alarm clock that morning :D

18. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I did back to back drives with Stradales, one with OEM exhaust and the other with high flow cats. Very noticeable loss of low end torque with high flow cats. However, when I did back to back drives with my Speciale with OEM exhaust and then with 200 cell cats there was absolutely no perceivable change in low end torque. But the exhaust sound improved dramatically :) Mission accomplished. However, due to the coriolis effect your results will be the opposite :-j

19. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015

Any way to do this to a 2012 coupe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I wouldn't be surprised if you dyno'd it and found you've lost some degree of torque/power. On an engine of this standard it'd be very sensitive to changes like that. If it were a turbo not so.

21. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Probably. Nothing worse IMHO than losing low end torque. Maybe on a race car on a race track losing some low end torque to gain a bit more torque higher in the rev range makes sense. But if you drive mostly on the street, then you spend a lot of time at lower RPMS and you want low end torque.

I am very much aware of how the OEM exhaust was designed to provide back pressure that is part of the low end torque equation. I considered changing the OEM cats on my Stradale. I spoke to guys that did it. They told me they did not lose any low end torque. I was skeptical, so I arranged to drive a Stradale with high flow cats. I was shocked at how noticeable the loss of torque low in the rev range was! I decided not to change my cats.

With this in mind, I was equally skeptical of high flow cats on a Speciale. I spoke to several guys that had switched to either straight pipes or 100 or 200 cell cats (OEM cats I believe are 800 cells), and they insisted they did not lose any low end torque. I agree with you in that I bet if you dyno'd the car you'd find that the torque curve shifted slightly further up the rev range...meaning you lost some low end torque. I decided to to try 200 cell cats and hope the impact on low end torque would be negligible. My butt dyno is particularly sensitive, and I'm very happy to report that I can't feel any difference in low end torque!!

Bottom line is that, IMHO, the significant improvement in exhaust sound (volume and tone) negates the imperceptible shift of the torque curve.

One last thing. I bet if I dyno'd my Speciale I'd find I have slightly more torque/power at high revs...also probably imperceptible to the seat of your pants :)

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good to hear the 200's were accepted without noticeable losses. I wonder what the result would have been with 100's though..

23. spec458

spec458 Karting

Feb 8, 2015
    Any update on the video!

24. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Might put some 100's down the line at some point: you'll hear it when
    I do :D

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Under deadline with magazine and getting ready for Monterey....