Specs on SAY115Y IC for speedometer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Specs on SAY115Y IC for speedometer?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gerritv, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    You have a pm :)

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I suspect the earlier speedometer boards for the GT4 have a small design issue as they switch ground for discharging the 680uF cap into the odo stepper coil directly via the SAY IC, whereas VCC is switched via the BC327. If memory serves then this was the main difference compared to later Speedometer boards, which deployed one transistor for VCC and and one for ground switching.

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #28 alhbln, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had some time this weekend to do the hardware design, next step is to build a prototype and write the embedded firmware. If all works as expected, i'll include a feature that allows to calibrate the speedo on the workbench by just setting a jumper an then adjust the trimmer until the speedo displays 130 kmh/80 mph, so no special tools required. There is also a small diagnose LED to check if the speed sensor is sending triggers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Awesome, my speedo has suddenly burst back into life, but I have little confidence it will continue working..

I can't wait!!

5. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #30 alhbln, Aug 8, 2013
    I'm a bit behind schedule, spend some time trying to understand why the ODO in some speedos fails sometimes, then starts to work again eventually. Have the same symptoms with a speedo i fixed some weeks ago by installing a NOS SAY115Y.
    It looks like the ODO stops working because pin 5 of the SAY115Y fails to apply ground to the ODO motor for discharging the 680uF cap. No idea why that happens though, might be the first signs of a SAY115Y IC breaking down.

Updated and cleaned up the prototype board design and started to write the firmware code.

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Adrian, as you know I swapped the SAY115 in my speedo for a brand new chip. it works fine on the speedo and 75% of the time on the odo, then the odo stops. If I switch the car off and restart the odo starts again. I tried this the other day whilst I was driving, the engine back fired so loudly the chap behind nearly had a heart attack!

I cant wait until your board is ready.

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #32 alhbln, Aug 16, 2013
    Firmware development is done and the first PCB has been assembled and installed in my speedometer for testing. Works nicely so far! A Speedo calibration mode is also supported, so you can calibrate your Speedo with just a 12V source and a screwdriver as the board provides a high precision speed signal. I'll do some test drives and will then provide another board to Nick who offered to support with the final testing.

The speedometer replacement board will be fully documented online as a DIY project if anyone wants to build one. The assembly is a bit more difficult due to the smaller SMD components though. The good news is that the bill of material is only around €8,00/$11 for the components sourced from standard electronic part suppliers excluding the PCB.

Thanks to all the posters who covered this before, the posts were very helpful for getting started on this project!

SA_308 likes this.
  8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Unreal!
    Thanks Adrian, I might just build one for a bit of fun!

9. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Qavion likes this.
  10. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    I'm super excited to hear about this! My odometer stopped working who knows how long ago and I'd love to have it work again.

11. SA_308

SA_308 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    California USA
    Full Name:
    Saul Aguilar
    Hi Adrian, can you please provide the DIY info. Thanks

12. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Guys
    I have had my board in my speedo for a few years now, and it is perfect!

13. SA_308

SA_308 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    California USA
    Full Name:
    Saul Aguilar
    Good to hear, can you share the DIY info please!!!

14. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    SA_308, thanks for asking. The project turned out to be more difficult from a build perspective than anticipated, so i refrained from turning it into a DIY project as you need special tools to assemble and flash the board.

You can implement the basic functionality of the Speedo Type 1 with discrete TTL/CMOS DIP components to generate the pulses required for driving the tacho and ODO motor, but i wanted to have the options of the onboard calibration generator and conversion between Miles and km/H as well as adaption for Type 1 and 2 sensors and optional wheel adaption/conversion. This made the final board a bit more complex than planned.

15. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  16. SA_308

SA_308 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    California USA
    Full Name:
    Saul Aguilar
    Thank you Adrian for answering, mine only the speedo side works odo is not. is there something something i could do or add to the board to get the odo to work?

17. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If the ODO does not work but the Speedo does, there is a chance that just the BC327 output transistor is broken. Try to replace the BC327 as well as the 1N4148 diode next to it (marked by the yellow arrows below). Also check the large 680 uF capacitor, and replace if in doubt. The capacitor is being charged via the BC327 transistor and then discharged into the ODO motor.

MaseratiMike, Qavion and SA_308 like this.
  18. SA_308

SA_308 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    California USA
    Full Name:
    Saul Aguilar
    Thank you Adrian, i'll try that