Speed detectors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speed detectors

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CharlieUK, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Honestly guys, SteveP said it before, and I have posted a few times re laser detectors -

They are utterly useless - if it goes off then all its doing is telling you you have been done. A laser takes something like 0.03 seconds to lock on and get a reading from you. You have no time to take any action. Read the Speed Trap Bible web page.

The only thing that will save you from a laser is a jammer - errrrr garage opening device :)

Please don't think that by having a laser detector you will be safe, as you are not.

2. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anyone know how laser speed cameras work?

Radar is easy. The refected wave has a slightly different frequency from the transmitted wave; mix them to get a difference signal the frequency of which is proportional to speed.

If you're firing light at a car, what do you measure in what comes back - the time out and back, the phase of the returning signal or what? Seems to me you have to take multiple distance measurements and use them to infer speed, but I may be wrong.

3. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Just wanted to add that the laser detector on the RA2 can be switched off via a software mod, when (not if) detectors are banned. Note that the original bill would have allowed continued use of GPS based devices.

I've heard that some Police take down the reg number of a car when their gun fails to get a reading - if that number plate is picked up several times they'll then pay the owner a visit to check whether he happens to own a garage door opener...I can't confirm whether this is an urban myth or not though....

I was caught from nigh on a mile away via laser. My Detector at that time (Uniden) didn't chirp until I was on top of the camera either.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Yep see http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/divisionhomepage/033678.hcsp

I bought a cheap an cheerful snooper S1 because I was concerned that the new road safety bill would be imposed, and therefore make an S3 or S4 with it's laser detector illegal. Buying the S1 was cutting my losses (would still be illegal but only £80). Anyway see http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D
    The S3 is now very reasonably priced. S4 not too bad either.

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I understand that if the police get an error more than once (all stored on a central database when downloaded from laser device) and a registration appears twice then it suggests a jammer. I think using your garage door opener when a speed laser device is pointed at you is still probably breaking the law!!!