Speeding in a Ferrari in USA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speeding in a Ferrari in USA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by michal12, Dec 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Nevada used to have a wasting resourses ticket for speeders. No longer. anything over 85 CAN get your but in jail in Nevada or California. Anything over 100 will probably get your license pulled for 30 days.....

But hey, I know people that drive that fast all the time.... :)

2. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Additionally, if you go to jail, then you've been charged with a crime that's big enough to get your car inpounded. They can keep it 30 days, and you pay the freight. 30 days will cost about $3000 buck-a-rooneys USD.

Most of the CHP officers I know will let 80 MPH go unless you're the only one doing that kind of speed. I was sitting a construction zone one evening on I-80 with some CHP officers in Newcastle, near Sacramento, Ca. Pretty soon a cadillac blew by us and showed 132 on the radar. The officers didn't hardly look up. One of them just picked up the mike and called dispatch. Their feeling was that by the time we got underway the cadillac would be in the next county. I believe they were correct. Chasing that guy would have led to diaster.

Over the years in California I have found that lonely freeways like I-5 have more patrols near food dishes. That is to say, exits and on ramps where there are restrurants. I have found out that CHP officers can pull over a whole group of cars at the same time. If you decided to run during one of these events, then the officer drops everyone else and chases you, and you will go to jail for that one. That one will also cost you your car for 30 days. See above. Also when speeding keep an eye out for the airplane above. They are sneaky that way. If you go to court after having gotten a citation with an airplane involved, then the aircraft observer and the citing officer both have to appear or you get a free pass.

On busy freeways, you'll more likely be caught if you are dodging and weaving through traffic. That's one of the behaviors that CHP officers look for when they go on patrol. I have found that un-flashy ****box cars will get you just as many tickets as a brand new Ferrari. I have found that if you can engage the CHP officer in a conversation that is not about your traffic stop, you're more likely to get a warning than a citation. I know officers that will not engage a driver in any conversation mainly to avoid this situation. If you get stupid during the stop, then you'll at least get a citation. I have learned that you're more likely to get a citation from a young officer than an older one.

There's more, but I cannot think of any at the moment.

My qualifications to speak on this subject: I have been caught speeding every way there is to be caught so many times that I use to consider it part of the cost of driving. I have spent more than five thousand dollars on traffic tickets over my 45 year driving career. Later, I use to work for Caltrans and spent many many hours talking to CHP officers about how they do their job. Those guys who you see in the lane closure use to work for me. I have rode with CHP officers. I've had a lot of fun with the CHP officers I worked with. Some of those guys are extremely funny and great word smiths to boot. When I went to work for the state, I quit getting traffic tickets. Mostly I slowed down. A CHP officer explained to me one day that while I may be able to safely drive a car at the limit, there's no reserve left in case some one else screws up and I end up hitting him. That's mostly why I slowed down. I became mortal. I also saw some, (more than a few) accidents where one or both drivers where killed.

Bob Wassam

3. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Florida police seems to be real layed back. But do not try speeding there. We thought we were smart with a radar detector. They got us VIA helicopter..... They pulled 7 cars over and said they had been following us for the last 15 miles via helicopter which is the reason why we didn't see any police cars. This was going from Oklahoma-Florida. We didn't get a ticket though which was odd considering we were in the 80-90 range and SL was 70.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The only problem is you have to have Montana plates to get away with it.

5. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Its great here in MS, I've done (being a passenger, of course) 150 in a 348 and 140 in a Carrera 4. There's not alot of people here and the highways are wide and free.

6. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    All Ferrari drivers in the U.S. do not like speeding tickets for two reasons (1) insurance rates go up and (2) if you get too many, you lose your license. Ferrari owners don't care too much about the $300 "tax" for speeding. It is the other costs involved that make tickets unappealing. Also, I think the risk of getting impounded is very small. Unless you are a jerk or are driving recklessly, most likely it will just be a ticket. If you get the car impounded, you probably deserved it.

So unless you plan to stay for a long time, the "risks" for you are much less than the rest of us

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think one reason for the many different answers here has to do with the nature of driving in US metropolitan areas, versus driving in the rural areas. I can understand why people think driving at 100+ is unsafe in the typical urban highway environment. And, they have a point.

However, you can't convince me that driving on a rural road, where you can see straight to the horizon and there is NO traffic whatsoever, during daylight, in a Ferrari, at 100-120 is unsafe.

And yes, those road conditions are not uncommon in the West (maybe elsewhere, too, but I haven't driven much in other regions outside the major cities).

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    You have to know where to drive. LOL In Montana after 75 and up to 85 is $20.00 and doesn't go on your record after that it depends on where you are and how the officer feels but, it can be a problem. Like I said you kinda have to know where to drive and where not to, when it comes to exercising the horse.

9. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    That wasn't the probem. We had to many folks from out of state using our hiways for their personal race track. Example: Mercedes had several cars pulled over on I-90 for caravaning well over a 100 mph a few years ago. So our state law makers changed the rules. Them and a few other **sholes ruined it for the rest of us. Regards, Vern

10. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    LOL! "What the Captain really meant to say...."

11. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I tend to have a lead foot. I lived most of my life in Chicago area which is pretty lenient for speeders. After living overseas, I have now been in Florida for 5 years. It is the worst. I got 5 tickets in my first two years down here. All 90 in a 70 zone. I am in central florida with open roads and the turnpike. I routinely get my 550 up to 160/170 for short bursts on my way down to Orlando. I don't push it for extended distances due to too many unmarked cars though. A radar detector is a must down here though.
    It must be absolute heaven to live in Europe and not have to worry about tickets.

12. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Europe has speed limits. Actually, Germany is the only country that still has unlimited speed limit sections of the autobahns still. There are plenty of sections with speed limits though, especially around the major cities. Only you don't get stopped for speeding, the camera gets you, and then you get a present in the mail.

The unlimited sections in Germany are fun when there isn't a bunch of traffic.

13. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Funny that Ferrari owners are spooked about speeding even as commercials on Toyotas and Hondas start with the HP ratings first, Or 0-60 in how many seconds on that pickup? Then there's talk of 700 HP Murcielago's The selling of speed is all so ridiculous as law enforcement uses more sophisticated methods to trap you even if you can find a place to use all this power.

The fact is, 90% of us never need or can use any more power than a two cycle engine can produce.

14. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I was in Montana several years ago during the "Reasonable & Prudent" times and I did have one ticket for 70 mph in a driving snowstorm $5 fine and name in paper). Many times, especially through eastern Montana, I passed the highway patrol at well over 100 mph (not in a Ferrari but a Lincoln TownCar). I did an 800 mile round trip in one day and never drove while it was dark outside. I think I averaged over 110 mph and stopped for at least an hour for lunch and gas. I think it's good that Montana did away with the R & P law because we American drivers as a whole can't be safe at high speed.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Not all states put you in jail for doing over 100mph. Alabama does not unless you are reckless in your driving and obviously endangering others. However, a ticket for over 100mph is a large fine, and will indeed affect your insurance rates. Some states do indeed put you in jail, other states revoke your license for 6 months. Make sure you find out about the laws in the state you're planning to move to.

16. sobe

sobe Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2005
    LA/Miami
    So what will happen in Gumball 06 ? the last leg of the race is from Salt Lake to LA going right through Vegas , How will anyone have any fun ?

17. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    What is probably unsafe is not so much the individuals as the cars they drive. Lincoln Towncars at over 100 mph(can't beleive you would do that) now that is unsafe. LOL

18. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Is that not the essence of the difference between Europe and the USA: in the the US we (as a gnerality) only care about acceleration; whereas the Europeans actually want to go somewhere at speed. So 0-60 in 4 and the 1/4 in 12 are the holy grails for production cars but speed...nah. Too difficult to speed while sucking a soda and munching a cardboard burger.

19. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I couldnt agree more with you all.

I've driven the autobahn in Germany and it seemed like a crime! you couldnt wipe the smile off my face.

As far as speeding in the states....thats a raw subject huh. Everyone has done it at least once.

speaking of Gumball....I dont recall seeing anyone from this site at any of the Cannonball events (One lap of america). photos are on my webpage if anyone is interested